Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

properly drafted shelling

properly drafted shelling

Making walls uniformly thick helps a lot with injection molding.

Shell seems like it'd be a great tool to help with this, but it has a lot of issues that prevent it from being usable in practice for nontrivial designs. 

Imagine that for whatever reason we have a corner that has a 5º draft expanding downward so it can be released from a mold on top.

Capture d’écran 2015-12-30 à 15.14.07.png

If we shell this from the top, it does exactly what it says and creates a uniform thickness wall

Capture d’écran 2015-12-30 à 15.14.21.png

The problem is that if we do that, the inner wall expands downward with 5º of draft. Assuming there is something on the bottom that prevents us from molding in this way and we also can't place the mold below and reverse the draft of the outer wall accordingly, it's impossible to make a releasable mold for this design.

It'd be great to have something that generates a shell with maximum / minimum wall thicknesses but also enforcing drafting design rules so we could get something like this 

Capture d’écran 2015-12-30 à 15.17.02.png

[interior and exteror 5º draft so it's thicker at the bottom than the top but still moldable from the top and better than a solid hunk of plastic.

3 Comments
masureb
Autodesk

Maybe an easy answer, but why you don't do the shell first and the angle afterwards? What I missing in Fusion is a draft angle with a parting line with a fix or a move one!

Easy answer‥ but one I hadn't considered 🙂

It'll definitely work and I'll use that but it'd still be great to be able to take a design and do a drafted shell later in the process

Oh wait sorry - it's been so long since I did this I forgot what it was for - that doesn't work here. The outer walls needed to be drafted inward and the inner ones need the opposite draft so it is ejectable [ideally there would also be a shell on the opposite side so the wall thickness remains uniform]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report