Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Present folders and files in a simple way like in Windows

Present folders and files in a simple way like in Windows

This has bugged me ever since I first launched Fusion 360 which was like 2 years ago.  Didn't touch the software for about 1.5 years and recently opened it back up and this still bugs me.  The way files in Fusion are presented is simply too unconventional. 

But this isn't unconventional in a good way that adds any value.  There are these big Icon things.  And I can't read the file name because there isn't enough room for the text.  There is this preview image which could be 1/5th the size and I could still recognize the shape, but it takes up so much room I can read the text.  If I switch to list view, I have these big file chunk things stacked vertically.  Not the list I'm expected.   Again, not enough room to read the text.  Fusion is being too creative with the way files and folders are presented makes it unconventional which can make it hard to conceptualize what the content is (or prevent fundamental information like file names from being presented in exchange for big-bold text or big preview icons such that you can read the file name) and this is a problem.

And unconventional only hurts if it's trying to replicate something that has an accepted standard.  Just because I have the files on this new cloud storage thing doesn't mean I should have to look at files in a different way.  Cloud storage companies like Box and Dropbox had the same problem early on if I recall correctly.  Instead of standard Windows Explorer views like list-view, detail-view, etc., there were these different ways of presenting files.  Now the big file storage companies have an option (often times the default option) to show files in a basic way. Listing out files has been figured out a long time ago.  Windows XP --> Windows 7 --> Windows 10, the way files are presented are about the same. Files and folders are files and folders, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

So the suggestion is this:

Present a file view like Windows Explorer's file view.  This will make it easier for me to transition in and out of Fusion.

1 Comment
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Hey there, thanks for your idea! We are currently working on an experience similar to Dropbox where you'll have a folder view into your Fusion 360 account. You'll be able to organize and browse your projects/designs just like how you would in Windows Explorer. Expect something like this to be available in the next couple of months. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report