Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Process: Add Post Processor name and version number to the G-Code header

Post Process: Add Post Processor name and version number to the G-Code header

After spending a couple of days troubleshooting G-Code issues I figured you could make it a LOT easier if you added the PostProcessor name and the PostProcessor's version number to the header of a G-Code File.

ex: in line 8  you could add "ShopBot ISO Post Processor v40934"

It would add a critical piece of info to generated G-Code that would help when trying to isolate CNC issues caused by outdated processors. It also lets G-Code editor's know what flavor of G-Code is geing used.

thanks for your consideration,

Stephen

Sample GCODE.png

5 Comments

You can do this quite easily yourself.

I would also understand why they don't do this by default. A lot of people hate every line off code that is in the file that is not needed.

And this is a "useless" line for I think 95% of the users.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Laurens - PLEASE tell me how I can modify the post processor to do this automatically! 

I wasted weeks of time troubleshooting a problem with a Post Processor that turned out to be as simple as a software update. If the G-Code files had the Post Processor version info in the G-Code we would have caught this right away. It would also be a great way to tell CNC machines to not run old G-Code when running controller updates.

If you are worried that this is useless info the feature could be modified to the add the info to the meta data of a file (the same way that photos are embedded with camera and GPS info), but a simple text comment line in a text file seems simple enough (you could have a preference setting defaulted to on to strip out all comments for the 95% of purists).

So if you know how I can get Fusion 360 to automatically embed the post processor version info into the G-Code let me know. I'm all ears!

Well I think we are on different levels now. I don't expect people to run on the generic post that can be updated in any software update. If it works it works keep it that way for your machine. And when an update comes to the generic check if that works for your machine as well. So what I would do is put a line in the post yourself, and thus do a post edit if you want such info in the NC-file.
keqingsong
Community Manager
Hey there! Thanks so much for submitting your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get a lot of votes from the community, and now is 2 years old. We're changing its status to archived. If you still feel strongly about this idea, you can resubmit it. Check out some idea submission best practices here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-faq/ideas/m-p/5384681#M44
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report