Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please support "local only" files

Please support "local only" files

Please add support for people creating and using Fusion 360 files that only exist on the local system, and are never transmitted to the cloud (for any reason).

The present situation (Cloud only) excludes everyone who works on confidential (for any reason) designs.

For them to use Fusion 360 means they need to learn and use two tools (eg Solidworks + Fusion 360, Rhino + Fusion 360, etc).  At a guess :), most people won't bother, and will just keep using/investing in their current tools (eg Solidworks, Rhino, whatever).

Adding support for "local only" files should allow these people to then use Fusion 360, potentially moving to it as their primary platform.

Note - This "idea" seems to have been skirted around before (eg http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/cloud-and-online-work/idi-p/4652787), but not directly requested.

46 Comments
SaschaNitsch
Explorer

@daniel_lyall

You are perfectly right with your answer, but the problem of the part of your response about linux is simple and

not the point for this idea, this is about local ONLY storage, AD already made clear, there will not be a linux version.

I could use a cloud storage for syncing etc., IF i had internet connection at the workshop and IF I could trust "the cloud" Dropbox/AD or AWS in general to upload my IP, which I don't.

This also is a showstopper issue when using a browser based app, if the server does not run locally in my network.

Getting the final G-Code to the mill is not the issue.

Sure, firing up an editor to edit the G-Code always works, but did you try to edit stuff for 3 axis machining manually,

like changing the optimal load parameters of a 2D adaptive clearing?

Sometime I need to change a prefect working recipe, because of the different clamping it starts to make unusual noises,

so I want to go to less agressive cutting etc.

This is why I need a pure local, non cloud (2nd) version of F360 near the mill.

I will try to set up a second VM to test the export function. Moving a PC for license check every month or 2 is still a pain, but that

is managable. Too bad that Windows does not like it if I'm moving the VM from one host to another.

But you gave me the idea of just syncing the private F360 data, maybe this could be easily rsynced to a USB stick and to a different machine.

I just hope there is no registry magic going on.

The only thing left is to prevent F360 to upload a single bit on the licence refresh every once in a while. Maybe offline mode can provide this.

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@SaschaNitsch Ok I wont let you know what you can do.

The cloud is not very easy to hack, They have to find it, then find where the files are, Then find a set of files they wont to hack get into those files then break the password on them, by then they will be getting knock on the door.

The fusion cloud is useing Amazon's server farm what is used by the US government, so it's very safe.

If you export all your files out the only thing left is fusion with demo files.

If you have a 3G or 4G connection you have a internet connection, or a dead slow one with 2G. 

SaschaNitsch
Explorer

Maybe there is a misunderstand about my statements and the probably intended feature wish here.

I don't want to take the cloud away for everyone, I just want to switch it of for ME.

I don't trust the cloud, even with the US government using it, or the russian or the one from Atlantis.

Sadly you have no idea how the hacking world works, which is totally fine.

I do, it is my day job to detecting and report this, stopping or preventing is almost impossible. So I don't trust any cloud, nor should you.

If the hacker is not some script kiddy, they won't notice that and nobody will knock on anyone's door.

Just check the news about stolen passwords, databases or even secret agency papers...

Also, as mentioned, by mobile connection at the workshop is not 3G, 4G or 2G, it is 0G a.k.a. NO internet at all 0% signal strength.

On topic:

Exporting/Importing seems to work, so new workaround for protecting from the cloud:

When finished, before shutting down F360, export the files, remove them from withing F360, in case F360 wants internet on the next start.

After start, import and edit them. That way I can copy it as well. Hopefully there are no traces left, when deleting them.

A checkbox in the project settings would be soo much easier...

@daniel_lyall we've talked about this before, and I know you don't mean to, but you have a tendency to come off as both condescending and completely missing the point

Br0ken1334
Advocate

I'm fine with cloud-based nature of Fusion 360, as long as it don't restrict any functions in offline. I can't even save my project to local drive, only "export" it. And this "only two weeks offline!" thing...

Give us a possibility to choose, not enforce to "cloud only".

rickg5056
Advocate

i will never ...ever load the parts i have spent years getting right.. onto the internet ..ever...the internet is being loaded more and more and more ....it will break..its just a matter of time...there are too many criminals, identity thieves ..and just people who i general enjoy breaking into other peoples things just because they can...people who enjoy being malicious just for the same of being so.. not my files.  

internet storage BADDDD  .....local storage GOOOODDDD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report