Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please add "Spindle Type" dialog box or menu in Tool Library

Please add "Spindle Type" dialog box or menu in Tool Library

Please add either a menu or check boxes within the "Tool Library, to allow for a user to select a "Standard Router" instead of a "Spindle".

Ideally, this would remove other concerns from tool input (such as shoulder, body, etc.) or it would allow some manner of clearer interfacing for router users.  The logic is that typical "Tool Holders" for spindles have set depths for the shank, and other concerns (such as shoulders and tool holder diameters which can be far more intrusive regarding collision).

Additionally, a router often has a general cylindrical shape and nut which are far easier to identify (visually) in a graphic interface for users who are attempting to figure out which inputs should be placed where, for their tooling.

Thank you for your consideration.

6 Comments
kb9ydn
Advisor

I'm not really seeing how a router is so different from a milling machine that it needs its own setting.  Not all milling machines use separate tool holders; e.g. my Bridgeport uses a collet and drawbar directly in the spindle.  And what difference does it make anyway?  The tool has to be held by something; whether it's a collet in a spindle, a collet in a separate holder, or a milling tool holder with no collet, it really doesn't matter as far as tool path generation.  It's only relevant for collision detection during simulation, and even then it's optional.  My Haas mill has separate collet style tool holders but I never bother to set them up in the tool library because 99/100 times it just doesn't matter.  All I really need to know is that the tool is sticking out far enough that there won't be any collisions, which means basically I just ignore all the stuff about holders.  If I was setting up a router (instead of a mill) I would do exactly the same thing.

Having said all that, I would fully agree that the interface for tool setup in the library is confusing and needs some work.  Regarding the specific tool length terms:

Flute length:  This is the length of the flutes that can actually cut material.  Obviously this is the most important length setting.

Shoulder length:  This one is rather confusing because its definition depends on the type of cutting tool.  Mostly it applies to tools that have a shank diameter (the part that is "held" in a collet or holder) that's different from the cutting diameter.  In that case the shoulder length is the length of the tool that is not equal to the shank diameter.  For example an endmill might have a shank diameter of 3/8" and a cutting diameter of 1/4".  The shoulder length would be the length of the tool that is 1/4" in diameter.

But then some tools are the same diameter for their entire length, so they don't really have a shoulder in that sense.  For those kinds of tools I generally just set the shoulder length to the total length of the flutes, including the length that can't actually cut anything.

This length is really only important for collision detection.

Also note that the shoulder length has nothing at all to do with "holders".

Body length:  This is simply the length of the tool that is sticking out of the "holder", regardless of what that holder is.  It could be a collet, a milling holder, a drill chuck; it doesn't matter.  After the flute length this is the one that's most relevant.

Overall length:  This is the total length of the tool, end to end.  I don't think this is actually used anywhere and is just for reference.

So I guess in summary I would say don't get too hung up on setting up tool holders and trying to exactly define your cutting tools.  Especially with sheet work, tool collisions are not really an issue so it's not worth worrying about.

C|

sekrit_skworl
Enthusiast

First,  thank you very much for explaining the "shoulder".  There was no real clear explanation which I have found, up until this point.  Also, I have raised a request for a "check box" to turn shoulder on or off when adding tools for better granularity in recognition of the UI.

So, you raised a number of interesting and fair points.  To which, I would like to argue that I simply perceive certain things differently.

The router vs spindle:  This would allow a viewable "Spindle/Router option" which a new user such as myself would be able to use in a manner to better set my measurements.  For example: The "tool holder" typically has a set depth boundary "ceiling" which allows standard shank/body measurements.  Many routers do not have such, as they are too deeply recessed into the router for many (not all of course )1/8" & 1/4"tools to be placed fully within, while still maintaining effective cutting surface.

Therefore, removing the "Body", "shank", and any other non-relevant section (as they are manually set and variable) from the dialog boxes, removes confusion from extra settings for the router users.

Q.) Can, it be done without?  

A.) Of course.

Q.) But, does removing barriers to entry due to lack of clarity, allow many more users to be more productive, more quickly?  

A.) A number of us in quite a few forums believe so.

If it is simply a matter of taking to time to ask for the "User Interfaces" to reflect the needs of our tools, and hoping that others also have enough need to make the demand aware...  Then I would be remiss, not to ask for something more suitable for a number of our needs.

Please enjoy the remainder of your weekend. 😄

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@sekrit_skworl I am waiting for a permission for some stuff, onces I get that I will send you the file on setting tools in a router.

It's almost finish and I have worded it to routers 

sekrit_skworl
Enthusiast
@daniel_lyall thank you kindly, good sir. 😄
kb9ydn
Advisor

Q.) But, does removing barriers to entry due to lack of clarity, allow many more users to be more productive, more quickly?  

A.) A number of us in quite a few forums believe so.

I would agree with this assessment.  Although to me it's a problem with inadequate documentation, not so much a user interface problem.

But either way, Autodesk will ultimately decide.  Smiley Happy

C|

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@kb9ydn bang on it is documentation, I had a look at the manuals for those machine and in a 10 minute look, finding what these guys need was very hard.

So there confusion is not real them It's lack of info.

So I will do it for them and ADSK can have it as well, It's the best way to stop this problem popping up again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report