Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part properties and BOM Creation

Part properties and BOM Creation

Taking this from the comments of my previous post regarding Adding pages to Drawings as generating a complete BOM from a model is vital. Below dialogue options that sould be added to a part's properties box. 

In model / part list properties dialogue box, along with Part #, Qty, Part Name and Description, please add:

• Vendor

• A box to add URL link to part on vendor's website

• Costomizable Materials name (included materials are very limited)

• Misc / note.

• Cost / Price of part

It would be ideal if all of these boxes could be customizable from the Drawing module. For instance I have 28 repeating parts in a model but for the sake of a clean BOM illustration I wish to hide all but 1 the problem is the BOM reflects only 1 when I still need the Quantity and Price box to reflect all 28.

6 Comments
varnell465
Explorer

Also recommend:

When updating the properties of a compenents such as material or description this should update on any drawing associated with the property edits.

Sam.J
Explorer

I agree that the parts list needs to be more flexible. In addition, commands like reflect and create components make the parts list imposible to keep the parts list acurate.

For instance, if you were to make a table with four indentical legs the fastest, most simlpe, and parametric editable, way to create and locate them is to reflect them across the center line of the table. This however would create 4 bodies which when converted into commponents would be listed as four individual parts instead of 4 of the same part despite them being identical. The user should be able to indicate that it is a multiple of the same component. So far the only way that I can figure out how to duplicate components is to copy and paste. I understand mirrored parts can be different geometries but can also be identical and modeling completely with a copy paste style and locating them with assembly relations is far more time consuming and less editable retrospectively.

This option could easily be added into the dialog box while mirroring and/or creating components from bodies. If there is currently a way to overcome this parts list error please let me know. 

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  We have plans to create name/value pairs.  These name/values can be customized by each user to meet their specific manufacturing needs and then will be allowed to be mapped to drawings.

Cheers,

Mike Prom 

jeanf_vachon
Contributor

It is very important to be able to ad the measurements of the parts if we desire to have this, 

Soundgarten
Observer

I managed to use openbom (https://www.openbom.com/) to create bom lists. The created lists contain nice-to-have properties like area, mass and volume of each part but not the fundamental dimensions (length, width, height). Is there a reason for that? I want to use Fusion 360 and openbom to design parametric constructions made of standard aluminium profiles. Without the profile length property in the bom lists the whole thing is useless for me. Am I missing something or are the dimensions really not provided by Fusion 360?

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Ulrich

Soundgarten
Observer

No answer?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report