Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameters Don't Work in Sculpt Environment

Parameters Don't Work in Sculpt Environment

I just went through the following workflow:

1. Created a parameter for the thickness of a skateboard I am designing

2. Created a surface in the sculpt environment

3. Thickened that surface by the parameter I had set

So in this state, my board may look like this:

parameter_change_1.jpg

Parameter set to .375 as the board thickness. Great. This set up, I thought, would allow me to change the thickness of the board if I decided to change its dimension, which I now realize I need to do. However, when I go and attempt to change the parameter, say, to .75 inches, nothing in my design actually changes. The thickness stays exactly the same...

parameter_change_2.jpg

Note - you'll see I am changing the parameter outside the actual sculpt environment workflow, not inside. That's because parameters aren't accessible from inside the environment. But you can still reference parameters. What? The worst part about this is, because the sculpt environment has no feature timeline, I cannot change the thickness of this surface without REMODELING THE ENTIRE THING FROM SCRATCH. 

I understand that the sculpt environment is an entirely different place - but if I was able to reference a parameter from within the sculpt environment and have the model thicken to that dimension, then I feel like if that parameter changes the thickness should change, or the sculpt environment should not allow you to reference a parameter in the first place (currently, you can't even access parameters from inside the sculpt environment, but you can still reference them, so I feel like this is more what Fusion 360 is going for). 

I've felt that a big part of fusion 360 is it's modularity - that you DON'T have to go back and redesign everything, you can easily change a model and it will update down the line. The fact that once you exit the sculpt environment means that you can't go back and make changes to it, can't even see what things you did to make the body you sculpted, even when you've set parameters on those changes and referenced them from within the environment, means that any time you are working in the parametric modeling environment using bodies you'd sculpted, you have to redesign literally the entire thing if you need to make important changes to the sculpted body. PLEASE integrate parameters correctly into the sculpt environment, as well as some sort of timeline of actions. 

2 Comments
keqingsong
Community Manager
Thank you for posting your idea! The idea is now 2 years old and does not have many votes, so we are going to archive it. If this is still important to you, please make a new post with the idea included. You can follow the idea submission guidelines here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-faq/ideas/m-p/5384681#M44
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report