Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordinate dimensioning

Ordinate dimensioning

I would like to be able to do ORDINATE DIMENTIONING in the create drawing portion of the software.

Being able to create a XYZ zero and the simply start tagging features to get dimensions from the zero's.

23 Comments
brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

JonSchaeffer
Collaborator

What does "Gathering Support" mean?

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

JonBoy5Axis,

Gathering support gives the community the opportunity to drive priority.  We are looking for 10 or more votes in less than a month as one of the factors to accepting an idea.  This is getting changed to future consideration even though it does not have the desired amount of votes because it is already on our roadmap.  A future consideration label means it is a good idea, but there is currently no development being done on the feature.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

jrsphoto
Contributor

I'm dealing with a job shop here in San Diego and getting properly dimensioned drawing to him is next to impossible using the tools provided within Fusion 360.  I really had high hopes for the recent updates (11/15/15) to the drawing tools but adding a 3d-shaded model to my drawing doesn't help my machinist whos doing 2d/2.5d cad/cam.

Top on my list is ordinate dimensioning, and the ability to turn ordinate chain on & off.  Many of the parts I’m designing have holes throughout the design.  Trying to lay out dimension lines on designs like this is next to impossible without it.  The resulting design is cluttered, unclear, and results in delays in production because he is forced to contact me to clear up drawing issues.

My solution?  Export the design as a STEP file, import into Solidworks as a part, then create a drawing from the part file. Dimensioning in Solidworks give me everything I need.

I really like doing cad/cam work in Fusion 360 but it's making more and more sense to just use Solidworks for everything if I can not get proper drawings to my machinist.  He can’t even open Fusion 360 exported dwg drawing files with MasterCam!

Anonymous
Not applicable

As an upper division Mechanical Engineer at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities I couldn't agree more with this thread in being able to complete drawings with ordinate dimensioning. For all of my classes if I need to turn in a drawing for a class I am required to have it setup with the agreed upon convention for drawings. I myself have found that I must take everything out of Fusion and import it in to some other software such as Creo to complete the drawings appropriately. This is a bummer because the student version of Creo does not include any form of CAM and I need that for use on my CNC machine. It is becoming tricky to keep jumping back and forth between software. I also interned for a company that worked a lot with CAD/CAM and drawings and this was a MUST.

bbd2
Explorer
Yes! Please!!
Dim tools in fusion need a Great! deal of work
Ordinate tables
DanEmber
Contributor

I'm very surprised that ordinate isn't available in Fusion. My part has too many holes to use the standard dimensions.

I'll just have to dimension by hand until this gets implemented.

rmcgurk
Enthusiast

Ordinate dimensioning is a must. !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news on this front? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is "on the road map" for 2016, but 2016 is almost over.

Will it be implemented in 2016 or is it somehow relegated to "future consideration" ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

I found a way around what i was looking for.

Still would be nice to have that function.

DonnyMott
Contributor

I have been using Solidworks for over 15 years so I am a bit used to having certain functions. Last month I bought a two year license for Fusion 360. I am forcing myself to use the program. Its quite painful. A simple motor mount that would take 5 min to model and dimension then create the cad for is taking way to long in Fusion. The last thing that I have ran into is the drawing side. Title blocks are a pain in the ars. Can't scale them. Can't change them without making a whole new file. And no "ordinate dimensioning". Really. I can't believe that. Its not like the program is just out.

Also while I am at it. No hole tool box for tapped holes. Now I have to spend time looking up drill bit sizes for all these different size taps. Those are some of the lacking features on just one simple part. What a waist of time. I am regretting my purchase.

Donny

rmcgurk
Enthusiast
Thank you Danny.

I feel the same.

Rex
jyoungers
Observer

I also would like to use ordinate dimensions. I'm using my Fusion 360 drawings on a manual milling machine with the Vernier scales [Party like it's 1929!], but ordinate dimensions would be just as nice with a DRO. Drawings of parts with many features are a mess using baseline dimensions.

rmcgurk
Enthusiast
They are a mess.

Its Hard To Read A detail Drawing.

Thanks
Salient1492
Contributor

Chiming in here...Ordinate dimension is a fundamental requirement in a Design and Fabrication software package. [CAD/CAM]

It's acceptable for Visio to not have it...but an Autodesk product?!.

Please call the AutoCAD guys over and help the Fusion team...

-Jack

rmcgurk
Enthusiast
Ordinate dimension is a must.!!!

Get Help From Acad And Inventor Guys.

Thanks
hockeygeek21
Observer

Please add ordinate, it really is a must. drawings look so sloppy without.

rmcgurk
Enthusiast
Not only that you have to put a A size detail on a B size sheet to get all
the dimension on it.
that nuts
rbg11
Explorer

I also agree ordinate dimensioning is extremely handy and useful as I do a lot of modular design with large quantities of holes.  Trying to use linear dimensioning just makes a print look very messy and hard to read.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report