Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes

Notes

I would like a way to record ideas or details related to a model in modeling mode.  It could be implemented any number of ways, but I would like to see something like a text leader in drawing mode which could be turned on and off easily. It would point to a fixed location, and the text would always be oriented to the viewer regardless of the model viewing angle. A traditional "text box" would also be nice.

I do most of my work in "traditional machining" so I'm pretty good at designing things like holes and fillets in blocks. But every now and then i have to design something using a design tool that takes me a lot of time to understand. For instance, recently I designed a complex surface using lofts. It took many hours to get right, and to be honest my understanding of it is still pretty tenuous. I'd like to be able put reminders in the model as to how I got it to actually work so I can come back up to speed quickly if I need to make changes in the future.

Other application for this could be:

To note part references for un-modeled components that may attach to the model: "bolt pattern for control rod"

To note some feature that was changed relative to another drawing: "changed handle material"

To remind the designer of some critical circumstance :"this surface exposed to high heat!"

To document source material: "this profile transferred from Julie's sketch"

Having something similar in the Patch and CAM environments would also be very useful for me.

1 Comment
DavePlant
Contributor

Great idea.

Notes on assemblies/sketches are really useful.  Being able to quickly note the design intent of features on the model is a great idea. It is a feature that is common in EDA tools. It would be handy in fusion.

I'd make them simple to add.. really simple. So people use them.

But, I'd add some additional optional functionality:

1) Option to link them to features.

2) Option print them all out (in a list) as a separate report, with there links to the features and image clip of the feature). This would be handy for design documentation.

3) Option to Auto serialize / tag with date / tag with user. So multiple designers can have 'conversations' within the in the model. For example make design review  suggestions, corrections.

4) And to get really fancy: Tie it into a system of in-model redline design change capture/review and approvals for ECC workflow. fusion notes.jpgDave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea