Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New free form measurement tool

New free form measurement tool

A great new tool that designers would use often is a free form measurement or ruler tool. The idea would be that initially one end of the measurement tool is anchored to a body or vertex or even any arbitrary point and the other end would be moving freeform in space snapping to the closest body or vertex or if nothing close, just moving freely in 3D space, and as this end moves realtime measurements are called out - specifically X, Y, and Z distances as well as the hypotenuse distance.
4 Comments
Riptide360
Advocate

As a new user I find it extremely difficult to do free form sketches where I can visually see the offset before drawing my next shape. Your idea of a free form ruler or measurement tool that can be toggled on/off and positioned anywhere on the plane would be REALLY helpful!

3dkev
Participant

Not a full solution, but a small work arround to get a distance.

What I do is use the line tool from the sketch menu to measure somthing.

Make sure 3D sketch is ticked from the sketch pallet, and use the navigation cube to orbit arround to get you out of the forced 2D plane.

Click on the first point, and hover to the second.Fusion will tell you the distance (and degrees) in the small tabs.

When you want to mesuare somthing else, or you'r done just click ESC and repeat line or exit sketch.

Cheers Kev.

kevyad
Explorer

Nice workaround 3dkev! Until they implement the obviously needed measurement tool (irkness intended Smiley Happy).

I've also  created a rectangular body with measurement ticks on it and move that around to measure things. A bit of a pain, but works too.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report