Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native UI

Native UI

Hi

I get that you want to keep the Mac and Windows versions the same but it seems the result is that neither ever gets to shine. Maybe have a look at some of the greatest apps on each platform: Sketch by Bohemian coding for Mac & Office for PC. They are truly a joy to use because they take advantage of the platform they are on and has modern, native, platform-specific UI. Even old stubborn Adobe has adopted this approach in some of their newer applications. As a Mac-person i have always felt disgust when looking at something like Photoshop but with Adobe Experience Design their newest native app i suddenly feel compelled!

I think that Fusion 360 deserves a much more native, beautiful UI and believe it will do wonders for adoption.

It is probably even much easier to build and maintain a UI that does not try to fight the platform.

So please, please consider going native.

3 Comments
michael.baX4E4M
Explorer

I truly believe that appearance makes a huge difference. It sure is a deciding factor when i choose software. Unfortunately there is nit much to choose from when it comes to CAD.

sanguish
Advocate

I had originally thought similarly. (And I'm a 13 year Apple employee)

But the reality is that we aren't missing all that much. Yes, the menus are in a wonky place.

Yes the panels don't have the right 'look'. But beyond that I don't find that much to complain about. 

A set of shims could be written to make things look more Mac or Windows like, but I honestly spend so much time concentrating on the work that those aspects fall away, especially in full screen mode.

NOW, I'd KILL for support for proper keybindings in text fields (look up keybindings in the docs). I miss my control-E to end of line, control-A to start. etc..

Native look and feel is a big deal and AD has the resources to manage that even if they're using their own internal abstraction [though purely native would be far better]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report