Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple windows

Multiple windows

It is 2016, I use two monitors, many other cad programs support multiple open windows.  Since this one is archived, lets try again.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/support-multiple-windows-with-multip...

6 Comments
promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thank you for your idea, due to the architecture we use we don't plan to invest in multi-document support in the near future.

Regards,

Mike Prom

friesendrywall
Collaborator

Ok, but I don't think this is going away.  Perhaps you could consider allowing multiple running copies instead.

eugenebT5F6X
Participant

Aaaagh!!!!

F360 doesn't support multiple windows?? Are you kidding?? With all of the cool features, it can't support this basic capability? How did the developers miss this?

Granted, I can expect that the cloud connection does present some significant complications, but I can't imagine the efficiency advantage of multiple visible (even if not active) designs can be so easily dismissed.

The program already allows for multiple designs to be open at once. Users can switch between the tabs, so there is already some fancy activity switching going on. Even if only one instance of the program can be open, I'd at least like to extend the window across my two monitors and arrange the tabs so that I can see the other design(s) or drawing(s) while working on the one in focus.

I'm just learning Fusion 360. So, maybe there is a solution out there. If so, forgive my newbie rant.

Working from multiple monitors is a common expectation. Even Geomagic Design supports multiple windows. Open a CAD assembly on one monitor, right-click to open a single part for editing in a new window, and have the 2D drawing open as well. Multiple active parts? No problem.

LibreOffice allows for multiple views of the same document in separate windows. Edit the content in one window, update the index or revision notes in the other. Or, open multiple docs in multiple windows.

Firefox, Edge, Chrome browsers allow you to drag a tab to create a new window. One web site on one window and another site on another. Add ons allow Firefox to create panes to view multiple websites in the same window.

Altium Designer uses multiple windows. Electronic schematic on one monitor and the PCB layout on the other. Select a schematic component and highlight it on the PCB.

After a week, I was feeling pretty good about F360 so I took advantage of the Black Friday deal and paid my dues. However, if this is the penalty for cloud software, I'll have to rethink and look for more gotcha's before I invest more training time. I'll have to back off on my implementation plans until I can dig more deeply. That means at least one more major design with Geomagic. Maybe it isn't so bad after all.

Eugene

eugenebT5F6X
Participant

It is possible to open multiple sessions of Fusion 360, one on each monitor. You can have the drawing open in one session and the model in another.

Autodesk's Brad Tallis pointed this out during a training session.

Eugene

carvedblock
Enthusiast

@eugenebT5F6X This workaround probably only works on Windows however. Macs don't have this capability natively, the application needs to support it. 

josh.laycock
Participant

Agree, need to be able to open more than one instance of Fusion on a Mac. Or allow for new windows so I can use my second monitor.

I look at my second monitor and all that's there is Youtube distracting me.  Smiley Frustrated

Would be nice to be able to have reference files from fusion on my second monitor.  

Productivity increase????  Hmmmmmmm......

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report