Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Command in timeline needs to remember translation values

Move Command in timeline needs to remember translation values

For move and rotate if possible also scale

Otherwise that feature is pretty pointless and dumb - dumb because it only functions as a marker but when editing the feature

does not tell you how far you have rotated or moved so you as a user can guess what you did 3 weeks ago.

The fact is the features remember that because in the timeline when you move forward and back the values selected

are applied by the feature. so why not expose that inside the UI instead of giving the user always empy value fields?!

Makes sense doesnt it?!

if I rotate an object I do not want to be forced to later measure the degree I rotated with.

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 10.24.46 PM.png

so when I entere the rotation value

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 10.23.27 PM.png

I think the feature should remember this and next time I edit it should still show it

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 10.23.40 PM.png

Blender Rhino or Alias can do it!

7 Comments
brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This is currently in our backlog, release TBD.

jakefowler
Autodesk

@cekuhnen/All -

We're looking into this improvement now, as part of wider improvements to the Move and Align commands. There are a few alternative approaches we can take for recording Move history; if anyone has answers/thoughts on the questions below, that'd be extremely helpful feedback:

1. Say we recorded object movements as a series of sequential 'steps' (we're thinking these could be presented as a table). Would you consider each drag/value change as 1 discrete editable step? Or would you prefer sequential moves to be grouped together? (e.g. if you moved in Y by 10mm, then X by 20mm, should this be represented as two seperately editable steps, or a single "X: 20mm, Y: 10mm" step)

2. If you perform a point-to-point move, would you expect the timeline feature to just store + allow editing of the XYZ transform values? Or actually remember the two selected points in an adaptive manner? (i.e. so that if one of the bodies were modified 'before' the Move in the timeline, the Move would adapt to that change)

3. Something we've also discussed as part of this is merging Move and Align into a single command. If we were to do this, question 2 applies to Align as well; should the timeline feature remember the transform values, or remember the picked geometry? (also very welcome are thoughts on whether combining the Move + Align commands would be sensible/useful)

Thanks in advance!

Jake

jakefowler
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Hi all,

This is well in development now - the plan is to release this functionality in January 🙂

The improvements necessitated some changes to the design of the Move command. It would be great to get some early feedback on this - if anyone is interested & available to take a look at what we're working on, please drop me a PM!

Thanks,

Jake

cekuhnen
Mentor

@jakefowler

Ah man that is great news! Count me in to take a look at it.

Adding a better move command really brings Alias Blender Maya Rhino like object positioning skills to Fusion 360 and that is great to have when paired with sketch driven geometry which are not so easy translated.

fredgenius
Advocate

Simple. If I rotate an object by 59° about X, then later want to reference that value so I can rotate other objects to match, I should be able to edit the original move feature and see what that value was. It would be VERY useful, if the original pivot point was retained!

I also note, the move values are not in the Parameters list, where it would be easy to reference, and modify.

xrok11
Contributor

"recorded object movements as a series of sequential 'steps' (we're thinking these could be presented as a table). "

This is a good idea and the point to point could be included in the list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report