Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More flexibility in controlling units.

More flexibility in controlling units.

Currently, I can't change the mass units independent of the length units in modeling.  For example, I can't set my length units to inches and view the mass of my model in pounds.  Simulation has a variety of measurements with different units that can be changed in Preferences, but those units don't apply to Modeling or CAM, etc.  Also, there is a different set of units for how properties are displayed for Physical Materials.

We should have a consolidated and comprehensive set of units that can be set in the Preferences that apply to entire application, then allow me to override the units for each possible measurement in the context of each workspace.  For example, let me set my application Preference for mass = g, but then in the Simulation workspace let me change mass = kg.

16 Comments
mrm1018
Advocate

Yes please, I like this approach Tyler.

petrol_junkie
Advocate

@tyler.henderson

You got my wote...

What I´m looking for is the simple ability to choose which unit of mass is displayed in a parts properties. And this without having to change the units of the whole part / assembly.

Since many of my parts are based upon steel plates, units of Kg:s are alot more easier to work with then the scientifically noted Grams.

Posted this in the support section:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/change-weight-unit/m-p/7773026

// P-J

yanouk73
Advocate

There is a problem in the drawing, when you creat a Table, the value there make no sens because they are in grams, so it show like 1.12435+E9?!?! funny, but when we want to see KG or pounds or watherver, it should be availble to change this in a soon futur, other then that we are unable to use this field in the table.

I found that we can change the description and so on in the 3D, so it's closer to a fonctionnal table, but the weight need some fix.

julesbg
Participant

This enhancement is really needed. I want the mass expressed in Kg while length expressed in millimeters. Also needed to introduce fractions in the imperial system the same as Inventor. Also needed to show alternate dimensions in fractions, or decimals. 

scott_wasson
Explorer

Is this going to happen? 

Having it only showed in grams is really hard to work with.

tyler.henderson
Community Manager

Only 16 votes so far.  It's not high on the priority list right now.

mrm1018
Advocate

Still silly to have to select feet as the length unit to get the mass in lbmass

gtprototype
Advocate

I vote yes!  Perhaps the units could "auto range" similar to a digital multimeter.  i.e. if less than a pound displayed in ounces etc.

manuel.fr
Advocate

and another vote here, this is very importend! gramm makes no sense in 99% of the cases...

and to swith units permanently in the assembly can not be a solution.

Garret_H
Collaborator

Adding a comment and a vote.

I'd really appreciate being able to see weight in lbs when I work in inches.

I can live with grams and millimeters at least since the metric system isn't an abomination. Dividing by 1000 is a lot easier than 16! Still funny to be limited there though, since any industrial drawing in metric will use millimeters even when the assemblies are 1000's of kg.

scott_wasson
Explorer

23 votes on line, 2300 people would love it, but have no idea about this forum or voting system....... so just stayed annoyed. 

manuel.fr
Advocate

there should be a popup in Fusion every now and then, reminding people that this exits.

short and simple like "if you have ideas to improve fusion or want to report a bug, get in contact with the devs and check out our forum at: (link here)".

I think like you, 95% of the users have no idea about this...

tyler.henderson
Community Manager

We understand the frustration.  We know we can't only rely on votes in this forum to decide what things we should work on.  We are starting a new process for issues like this to gain more visibility internally at Autodesk and to rank them according to customer impact.  I've nominated this one, so along with the comments here it should gain some momentum.  We appreciate your patience and support.

mrm1018
Advocate

Thank you @tyler.henderson !  This is some much needed core functionality...this and being able to link part weights with text fields on drawing title blocks.

Garret_H
Collaborator

@mrm1018 You can list add mass in the bill of material tables for each component. It pulls it from the model but....

It literally gets written out as "6.586OUNCEMASS".... even though the whole column is clearly labeled "mass".  🙄 And no, you can't change the table properties in any way other than on/off.

I would never put this on a drawing for a customer, as the fomat is just embarrassing.

3rd party utilities like open BOM or Bommer may be better there...

mrm1018
Advocate

Yeah @Garret_H it just isn't there yet. 🤔  I like for the titleblock for part drawings and assembly drawings to include a single weight, but there's no way to automate that yet, sadly.  Onward and upward, it'll get there eventually.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report