Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Match T-Spline Vertex

Match T-Spline Vertex

A super essential feature is missing from Fusion360!

It seems like thereĀ“s no precise way to move a T-spline vertex in reference to other geometry (Sketch,Work Geometry etc.):

Match Edge only works on edges.

Flatten only works on more than one Vertex.

Edit Form with Object snap doesn't snap to Sketch or Work Geometry, neither does Pull Command.

Align moves the entire body, Move is also not an option.

Suggestion for new Match T-Spline Vertex ability:

I guess that this function could be integrated in the original Match feature.

Preferable would offcourse be if the new Match Vertex, had an optional History/Parametry option, so if the the Sketch or Work Geometry later on was modified, the T-Spline vertex would follow.

6 Comments
dunderhead
Advocate

AB, there's a cheat for snapping a vertex, see the last minute of Paul's video. If you look up "object snap" in the documentation, you'll get to the video, too. Specifically, you'll set everything up (view, opacity, selectability), then enter a fake +epsilon distance to move, then enter -epsilon afterwards.

I think the reason your're idea has gotten so many votes is that this can be very frustrating and difficult to work with in practice. I think asking for parametricity is too much at this stage -- there's a host of lesser issues that could be dealt with.

Here're eight modest suggestions for getting this to work better, I think some of them have been raised before.

1. Why would T-spline vertices of the form that's being edited be shadowed by any other objects? The recommendation is to do "select through", but that's a risky strategy when working with T-splines, it's too easy to select the wrong node. This seems to me to be a bug: the T-spline vertices, edges, faces that's being worked on should be the entities that are directly selectable.
  2. Paul's trick should be a button in the 'edit form' menu: snap!. 'Pull' command is no substitute because a distance cannot be specified there. (I think the 'pull' command should be scrapped, btw, once edit form has been augmented. Or if the pull command actually minimizes a surface metric, and not point metric, then it could be kept for the final adjustment!
  3. All commands that allow snapping, should also specify whether snapping is with respect to the control points or mapped points. (The mapped point is the point's position in smooth mode.) 
  4. In practice, it's hazardous to work with snapping outside 'multiple viewport' mode. But shift-1 does not work in edit form mode, this is a little 'bug'.
  5. If the object you're snapping to is irregular, or has holes, or has surfaces close to each other it's very difficult to get snap to work. As soon as you snap, your vertices will slide to the wrong position, in some apparently random place!!! That's why the snap command suggested in 2. could be bound to a key, say space bar, so that you can move your selection around, then hit space bar to have your selection snap. If the snapping made the selection stick to the wrong place, then just hit space bar again and reposition your selection.
  6. Even though opacity controls help, it's really imperative when using snapping to see the T-spline with no shading or hiding what so ever.  With multiple viewports it should be possible to control opacity individually; the same goes for the visibility of the STL object if that's what you're using, it needs to be off in a least one view port. Or there should be a key to suppress all ghosted objects in all windows. I don't think it's possibly currently to control the opacity of the ghosted objects once you're in sculpt mode? 
  7. Snapping in form offers to project according to global or to view.  What about local mode as well? In my experience, it has been a major problem with 'pull' that points are moved in disregard to the local planes. So in practice, points much too easily move "sidewards" shifting under each other to make a royal mess with folding and self-intersecting surfaces a result. I'd suggest this should be the default mode.
  8. When snapping in view mode at least, a non-visible surface should never be used for snapping.
cekuhnen
Mentor

I think the mesh edit for T-Spline still has much to catch up which makes it less functional and predictable at the moment.

But I agree parametric snapping sounds great but will be hard to do. How can you make sure that the snapping moves correctly?

However linear projection snapping can work in this case! I use this a lot for my furniture work in my other application.

ab
Participant
Participant

I can see that there's has been a bit of confusion on which solution I suggested for the problem (Suggested workarounds canĀ“t solve this). 

Just to make everything perfectly clear:

We need a new feature Point To Point feature (I suggest extended functionality of Match).

This function should be able to match/move a T-Spline Vertex to a Sketch Point, Workpoint and to an End of an Edge of reference geometry.

The further suggestion (not as important) about making this new function parametric was only wishful thinking (But since ReMatch curve is possible in the Inventor 2016 Beta I canĀ“t see why this could not be done?)

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: ć‚Ŗćƒ¼ćƒˆćƒ‡ć‚¹ć‚ÆåÆ©ęŸ»č½éø

abulfetouh_1987
Advocate

Hi all!!

Why can't we just select start and end points at the solid model edge we just want to match T- spline to?!!

I guess that would make match tool more reasonable in certain situations!!

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report