Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Tutorials for Fusion 360 "Base Users" who may be converted to Paid Users

Make Tutorials for Fusion 360 "Base Users" who may be converted to Paid Users

Autodesk,

You have an incredible "edge" software package in Fusion 360.  I (like many others), am a non-paying subscriber who is open to a paid subscription if I design and create something which can turn profit.

However, I find that while you have volumes of other paid suites which are designed for professionals, that this one should focused (not necessarily just on us), BUT that we should be highly on your minds, as we are the ones with the potential for pay conversions and really have no package which suits us.

Therefore, I urge consideration for tutorials which focus on our "Hobbyist" level CAM machines, Tooling, File formats (SVG), etc as we who are not yet at a point of creating any products or services, need to know how to use your product.

For Example:

1.) I know six people (not including myself) locally who have either an X-Carve or Shapeoko 3.  All of these use routers which function as the spindle.  NONE of us know how to set the tools, tool holders, or even understand what a shoulder is on a straight end mill, which does not really even seem to be represented. 

2.) None of us is able to export DXF files from the sketches to recreate "accurately scaled" SVG files directly from this software as the source, a format which our local maker space uses for the laser cutter. 

3.) Tormach and other machines are cost and size prohibitive to many of us individuals.  Therefore, we fail to understand why that level of machine is considered above those of us who are:

a.) Just starting out, and only have a slight understanding to begin with

b.) Personally invested enough to purchase the machines to learn if given a solid medium

c.) Without the benefit of shop co-workers, trade schools, etc to begin to operate.

Please pause, take a candid look at your audience (over 25 percent are users just like me), and help us to become successful, so that we can (in turn) push Fusion 360 into a nearly unconquerable share for its sub-market.

13 Comments
daniel_lyall
Mentor

Yer I can understand your wanting to know this, They are getting there it's a battle to work out what everyone needs to know.

Question 1 A tool supply companies usually has this info on there web sight, Shapeoko and X carve should have this info as well, same with fusion.

question 2 yer that needs work

Question 3 all CNC machine run from the same idea and the best places to learn that would be in the machines manual.

Most of your answers are in the learn section And on the Fusion youtube page.

TravisJoe
Advocate

I can also appreciate where you are coming from, but honestly there should really be one main way to learn the tool and that is the correct way. I do see the need combine both simple and complex examples for all major tool and workflow, this to me is needed for all people new to the software, be it switching from another package or new all together.

I would also agree with @daniel_lyall that Fusion should focus on what it does, which is design and CAM, and learning how to use your machine will likely need to be pulled from those machine communities. There are just way to many different machines and from Fusions point of view they are all pretty similar. 

sekrit_skworl
Enthusiast
@daniel

Q1.) If that were so, it does not seem as though so many of us would still be either wondering how to add straight end mills, where the shoulder is, aND confusion over the shoulder fusion 360 straight mill diagram in the interface.

Q3.) There are many things unanswered from the manual. If Autodesk will will not address them, then perhaps one of their competitors will end up picking up the crumbs in attempt to shift market share for their amateurs and hobbyists. I suppose that time will tell. But, it is disappointing.
daniel_lyall
Mentor

@sekrit_skworl It's not ADSK job to supply machine manuals, There more than likely there is over 100,0000 different types of machines in the world how can they supply info for all.

There are ruff instructions on how to input a tool into fusion, again they can't supply info on a million + tools, But you can google cutting tool naming, or ask in the cam forum and you will be pointed to a tool company's website where you will get more info than you need to know.

Or do something a lot of people are doing now sign up here http://academy.titansofcnc.com/ this will teach you everything you need to know.  

Have you check through the learn section to see if what you need to know is there, and the youtube channels ADSK has

kb9ydn
Advisor

Regarding setting up tools in the tool library; this is still a work is process.  The tool library and interface have been undergoing an overhaul for a good while now.  It definitely still has some issues but it will get better eventually.  It turns out to be a much more difficult task than you would think to design a complete tool system to handle all the variations of tools and holders that are possible.

C|

sekrit_skworl
Enthusiast
I am not attempting to state that. Nor is my post intended to be conveyed
as accusatory.

I am simply attempting to convey that quite a number of people who use
routers as spindles, and hobbyist level CNC machines which do not have all
of the bells and whistles of a "shop level" CNC, feel excluded from the
tutorials. The videos from Autodesk never seem to have videos which
reference our types of systems.

I sought out to convey some of our concerns. While I do hope that they
will be at least noted... I apologize, if any of it seemed remotely
truculent.
sekrit_skworl
Enthusiast
I am not attempting to state that. Nor is my post intended to be conveyed
as accusatory.

I am simply attempting to convey that quite a number of people who use
routers as spindles, and hobbyist level CNC machines which do not have all
of the bells and whistles of a "shop level" CNC, feel excluded from the
tutorials. The videos from Autodesk never seem to have videos which
reference our types of systems.

I sought out to convey some of our concerns. While I do hope that they
will be at least noted... I apologize, if any of it seemed remotely
truculent.
daniel_lyall
Mentor

There's nothing wrong with your idea, I am a router user I have 2, It just it's not ADSK job to tell you how to use a machine That's what the machine maker is meant to do.

The tool info yer just a bog standard pick of a tool with the parts labeled.

If it's not in the manual how to use the machine you have that very bad on the part of the machine maker.

With a 3 Axis machine like your's the only differences of how it works compared to a Milling machine is the x and y move over the table and on a milling machine like a tormach is the table moves. 

The way it operates is the same on your machine and a tormach the home position is the same places left front on your Machine the spindle sits at left front on a mill the table it sit's at left front with the spindle above it.

The tool info for what each part is called they have the same naming convention. so a pick of a bog standard tool is all there needs to be in fusion

The best places there is to get tool info is a toolmakers website As they have the speed and cut depth all the info you need to set up a tool.

As a example in this link it has all the info on this type of tool I have a few of them https://www.toolstoday.com/p-6225-ball-nose-conical-ball-solid-carbide-spiral-cnc-2d3d-carving-taper...  On this page all the info on the tool is here even the msd, that's why it's to hard of ADSK to have all this.

Now for how a machine operate, their movement titans sight is a good places for that info. (X, Y and Z) What the Machine axis do on your Machine should be in the manual, If they are not that is bad.

In the learn section it touches on this info and the youtube channel.

All I am trying to do is inform you where the best place for info is, Even if they had every single bit of info you need in the learn section I would still say look at the tool makers web sight and the machine manual, These are the best places to learn this.

Have you looked through the learn section and gone through the fusion and HSM youtube channels.

I learned how you use my first little router from its manual and the tool info from the sight I brought the tool from. Just like everyone else the best places is where they come from

sekrit_skworl
Enthusiast

Daniel,

First, I want to thank you for your continued time you have spent on this issue in an attempt to guide me through this.

So, here is where I am: 

1) I had previously gone through through the manufacturer websites and most of their tool information was the same.  However, what my friends and I are confused on are some of the information Fusion 360 specifically asks for.

1.) Tool Shoulder dimensions

2.) Tool Holder

These are really throwing us for a loop, as our routers only have a nut-collet system.  And, the tools are straight, so neither from the look of the tools or the diagram within the Fusion 360 User Interface are we able to derive what we should input.

I also, did a search for "BOG" tools and am unclear as to what you were referencing, as I could not find that name under the list of companies in my tool management menu.  Please advise.

Thank You again,

Jay

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@sekrit_skworl I will start a new topic out on the forum, And name it router user's. I will post info straight of manufactures website, I will see what the X-Carve or Shapeoko 3 websites say about tools and convert the names so it's the same as fusion if it's different.

And A few other pointers and links, And some picks to show where home is the X-Carve and Shapeoko 3 are the same setup as my big machine a bridge gantry, what use the standard cartesian set up.

Bog standard means it's a standard setup or object it's slang I should not of use that word.

sekrit_skworl
Enthusiast

As long as it conveys to me what I should be looking at for adding tools and holders into Fusion 360, I'll take it.  Thank you very much, kind sir.

daniel_lyall
Mentor

It will And hopefully we get idea 2

sekrit_skworl
Enthusiast
Hopefully 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report