Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make patch/model commands appear in toolbox no matter of mode

make patch/model commands appear in toolbox no matter of mode

while I love the simplicity and orderly approach of the UI having to switch constantly between patch and model space is often a nuisance when you have to work fast. specifically when you work in a process that combines both types of geometry.

In Onshape you have only one space and can switch between extrusion solid or surface which for there limited toolset is also fine.

In Fusions case I would love to be able while in model space  be able to call the surface stitch command and apply that to the

selected surfaces to turn it into a solid.

But currently the toolbox filters appropriately also the possible tools for the current mode.

Maybe add the ability to do both!

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 10.30.13 AM.png

3 Comments
kb9ydn
Advisor

The separation of solid and surface modelling environments doesn't make sense to me either.

C|

cekuhnen
Mentor

@kb9ydn

I guess it is a UI decision you have to take. When Fusion came out years ago it was interesting because the UI was so simplified like Albert Einstein demands yet functional.

But over time more tools were added. I still do not mind the surface / solid modes. Otherwise the main UI would need a new entry

one for Solid one for Surface and then you need to figure out how to deal with the tools that show up in both.

Thats easy in OnShape because in terms of tool depth it is pretty limited. Fusion is more complex.

Thats why I proposed that the toolbox can and should show also other commands besides the current mode!

so I could stitch patches into a solid and then well continue with the solid tools.

kb9ydn
Advisor

Right.  There are lots of situations where you might go back and forth between surface modelling and solid modelling, so it should be as easy as possible to access either set of commands.

And to this end I think a better way to do the mode/menu switching would be to have menu tabs that are always visible, instead of the "mode switching" menu that Fusion has.  Not only does this make all available modes visible at all times (better visibility), but it also makes it so that only one click is required for switching instead of two.  Solidworks has this idea nailed.

MenuTabs.png

Under the menu bar you have tabs; "Features", "Sketch", "Surfaces", etc..  Each tab is also customizable so you can put whatever commands on it you want.  The tabs that are displayed are context sensitive too so they don't take up space when it doesn't make sense to display them.

C|

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report