Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make measured dimension visible from all angles

make measured dimension visible from all angles

Using the measure tool, the displayed dimension is not always visible from the preferred angle. I often use screenshots and must later edit them with MS Paint to make  a dimension clear. Maybe you could make the dimension float above all the geometry or be manipulated in 3d? 

bad dim.PNG

bad dim 3.png

Also, can you make it so the floating gray box is movable too? I'd like to move that out of the way for screenshots. 

Thanks.

16 Comments

And perhaps while we are at it, maybe make them a bit more "color aware"? On a white background, or working with a light colored component, the dimensions are very hard to see

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thanks for the submission! Our team looked at this and based on your idea, we now have this captured in our backlog. We don't think we can start working on this right away, but will be something we tackle in the near future. We'll keep you posted on our progress. 

bpoojary
Community Visitor

I came here to recommend this feature ( which is actually a very basic necessity!) and saw that this has been suggested already. not just for screenshots but also even just for inspection, this is not intuitive. I have to rotate the model all the time just to see the dimension even though I know it shows up in the window on the right. I feel more comfortable seeing the dimension on the part instead of searching for it in the window.

Pontooon
Contributor

this is kind of hilarious. the pop-up icons do nothing to help, they actually obscure the view. and you cannot move them out of the way. The text of the dimensions are all overlapping which doesn't help at all. please allow users to move the dimensions or have them separated and legible. thanks.

illegible measurements.PNG

Tags (3)
Captain-DJ
Collaborator

And use the "delta xyz" feature always !

Sometimes the "delta xyz" checkbox will shown, sometimes not.

At the moment i can not trust this function 100%

gsriggs93
Participant

I believe if you go into select mode you can move the dimensions apart manually by clicking and dragging them. I do it all the time in sketch, haven't tried it when using the measure function. 

Captain-DJ
Collaborator

No you can not move anything.

This is only a fast test function...and sometimes not really good.

dean.dekovic
Contributor

This idea should be priority number 1. I'm sure the developers are aware of this, but it is almost tragic that in a CAD software in 2017 there is such a bug/error. 

docara
Collaborator

This should be really easy to implement. Fusion already knows what to display based on the viewing cube so just display the number facing us (the camera)

The measure command needs a lot of work to make it trust worthy. As already posted the Delta XYZ should ALWAYS be available

Captain-DJ
Collaborator

Delta XYZ should ALWAYS be available

+1 !!!

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

We are looking into this now. We'll keep you posted on when we get get this fixed. 

docara
Collaborator
aziemels
Observer

coming from solidworks measure in fusion is a nightmare. At the very least give us an option to choose witch dimensions we need at all times. Othervise it feels like a lotery- "will I get the dimensions I need"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to 3rd the sentiment that delta XYZ should always be available. In a similar vein, I generally want to know more than just the straight-line distance between two surfaces, points, lines, etc. For example, if I'm measuring point-to-face, I probably want to know the normal distance more than I want to know the shortest distance from point to edge-of-the-face.

Also, if I measure two planes that are theoretically parallel, I would like to know the normal distance, rather than the measurement of "angle: 0.00 degrees", which happens often.

brett.helies
Advocate

I agree with Myles, the normal distance (eg point to a face or plane) is important for clearances and it is surprising that it's not available.

There is an improvement in the latest release (March 22) in that the dimension text stays on the view plane when rotating the model. It's not everything that has been asked for, but a most useful small step to improving this topic.

Measure2.PNGMeasure3.PNGMeasure1.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report