Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let Me Offset an Offset

Let Me Offset an Offset

I've come across quite a few prints from clients where they dimension a line off zero lets say 1.50in, and then another line at 2in dimensioned off of that 1.50in line. So when I'm making my sketch in Fusion, it's much easier for me to offset a line line at 1.50in and then offset that line 2in, but Fusion wont let me.

Obviously this is a very simple example, and I could very well just offset the second line 3.5in, but the parts I work with are very precise and never that easy to add up. I could just add them up in fusion when I'm dimension the lines by typing in 1.5+2.0, but that still gives me a different dimension compared to the print. And I like to have my sketch dimensions match the print so I can easily go back and double check my work.

Another one of those feature requests from me that isn't at all necessary, but would speed up workflow.

13 Comments
madengineer13
Advocate

I have used that feature numerous times in solidworks, and I think its very useful.  sometimes you need an offset line that is driven off another offset rather than the original geometry. I've tried to do this several times in fusion.

LorSwen
Contributor

I agree, its much easier to just offset from a line you just offset than to have to go from the first line. Most of the measurements I take or drawings I use are chain dimensions, not stacked dimensions. 

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, this is being changed to future consideration.  For now I would suggest adding the two number in the equation (1.5+2).

Regards,

Mike Prom

For internal tracking FUS-27941

RonSargeant
Contributor

While we're at it, if Offset is being changed, can we also offer an option to offset + and - from the original, i.e. like the symmetrical and two-way options on Extrude. I'm fed up having to do 1 offset then do it again as a negative!

jmLN7KE
Explorer

this is a very important add. offsetting an offset is a very standard workflow in other software packages. also, the fact that i can not have an offset drive a dimension is rather annoying. for instance, i have a box that requires an interior width of X and an exterior height of Y. unfortunately if i want to build this in fusion 360, i can not do it with offsets.

booToSolidworks
Participant

Currently Fusion does not support offsetting from an offset in a sketch.
You must, instead, offset from the original profile.
For example, creating a series of concentric circles at 2mm distances I draw my source circle, then offset the second circle by 2mm but for the third circle I can't offset 2mm from the second. Instead, I have to offset the third circle 4mm from the original. 

This seems like an oversight, let's fix it. 

Telliria
Contributor

I agree this would be good. The way I handle this is to use the parameter of the inner circle. But this becomes convoluted quickly if you have more than two offsets. It would indeed be better if it could be handled automatically by fusion in the way you describe.

sketch_circle_dimensions.jpg

heavynets
Observer

Keep what you have , but add offsetting an offsetted line.

philthalmann
Enthusiast

Definitely! Please! I just discovered this the other day and was shocked that this was not implemented!

I am constantly surprised that the simple things that have been implemented in Inventor (I've worked in Inventor since it's first release) were not automatically included in Fusion 360. And I'm very excited by Fusion .. buttttt... keep running into these strange simple things that aren't there sadly. Because of that I feel very cautious about using Fusion overly much.

But do keep up the great development work.

ranstadler
Explorer

I've had this issue also and have been trying to contact Mr. Wayne Griffenberg with autodesk.  I have talked to him in person and he reassured me he would pass this info along to get this fixed.  After 2 months and several emails I have not had a response.  I am not quit sure why they dont fix this issue.  Future consideration?  What is there to consider?  Apparently they dont take into consideration what over 1700 forum users have said about offsetting.  Atleast half of these are the same problem you have described.  Im over it!

michaelk42
Contributor

There needs to be a dialog, that lets us offset off an offset.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

JWalthall
Participant

If you are comparing your software to Solidworks or for that matter most any other software package out there this is a must add. I don't understand why this is a future consideration, what is there to consider !

fusion-360_
Enthusiast

when will this work?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report