Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lay flat multiple selected faces for export to dxf - laser cutting

Lay flat multiple selected faces for export to dxf - laser cutting

I would like the ability to shift-select multiple faces and have those faces sent to a blank drawing where I could then arrange them for export to a pdf or dxf for laser cutting.

6 Comments

This should be part of the sheet-metal / unfolding tools when (if?) they ever are released

lelantos
Contributor

I am not very familiar with how the sheet metal tools would handle what I need. From what I do know, sheet metal needs to be unfolded to lay flat. The result is the face plus the material that is used in the radius of the bend. Maybe it would do what I need, I just don't know.

lelantos
Contributor

I guess my window for editing the origianl post has passed so I'll add this here;

A couple years ago I used a SketchUp plugin called "Flights of Ideas". It did exactly what I am asking for here. You would select as many faces as you like, they could be in any orientation - then it would export all those faces in one svg file, all lined up. It was a simple matter of moving them around in my laser program, or I would use Corel Draw to lay out the sheet for cutting. It should not be too difficult for the drawing module of Fusion 360 to serve the same purpose. Here is a video of it in action;

I have a customer that makes custom aquariums and accessories. It would be wonderful if I could get him to use Fusion 360 for designing. It would save me a whole lot of time in prep work if I could get this functionality, and my customer could also improve his workflow. A win-win.

casey.rogers
Alumni

Patrick Rainsberry's "Manual Nesting" script does something pretty similar to what you want. It places all the selected faces on a single plane, from there it's pretty trivial to project to a sketch and export as a DXF.

Hope this helps!

lelantos
Contributor

Yes, I have seen that. His script looks very useful in the absense of something better but I am hoping for something like "Flights of Ideas" that does not require so many steps. I also would prefer to not have to move the model in any way.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  To be clear, nesting is what I am considering future consideration.  When work gets started this idea will be changed to future consideration.  

Regards,

Mike Prom

Internal tracking FUS-24795

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report