Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

include OBJ as export option

include OBJ as export option

That Fusion still has not OBJ export is beyond my understanding - it is so basic.

The build-in render engine is nice for quick images wihtout high expectation but pales in comparision to what a pro needs when you have to do a real product rendering and design your shot.

For that Fusion seriously has to offer an OBJ export and not STl by part or old school DXF via the A360 web.

Currently you force us to use a different application to generate the OBJ mesh like MOI or Rhino.

So please include OBJ in the ecport menu or also add to the STL option when in context menu

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 11.01.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 11.08.26 AM.png

6 Comments
MichaelAubry
Autodesk

Hey Klaus,

Nice request. I myself have looked to do this.  My workarround is I send to Meshmixer and export to Obj from there.  Doesn't take long at all and works great.

Best,

Mike

Tangentially related but please add every export format (including OBJ) to the context menu (probably in a submenu to reduce clutter). I almost can't remember the last time I needed an STL.

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Hi Guys,

We do allow OBJ export of mesh bodies currently - check out this video to see some details on how. 

https://youtu.be/Dxjmh8CsI6o 

I will pass along the request for a consolidated export dropdown to make these export workflows more clear.

Best,

Timera

eric.strebel
Collaborator

Hey, any update on when this dierect OBJ dropdown export will be implimented?????? Would be really good to have! I see it's accepted but not implemented!

Needs to be really simple!

BTW, the youtube video link does not work, it's broken 404...

keqingsong
Community Manager

Hey guys - you can now export designs as OBJ via the design details page on the web. 

1. click the info button on a design in your data panel. 

2. then select open details on web

3. go to the download button at the top right corner and you should see OBJ as an option. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 11.48.00 AM.png

We are working on making the export experience more consistent. 

JBerns
Advisor

Fusion 360 Team,

When will Fusion 360 create the material file (.MTL) when exporting to .OBJ format?

When exporting an Inventor model to .OBJ format, a material file (.MTL) is created.

When viewing the Fusion 360 file in A360, the materials can be seen. When you select Download > OBJ, only the OBJ file is sent? When will this be corrected?

Regards,

Jerry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report