Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to the Measure tool

Improvements to the Measure tool

I feel like these would be some simple and straightforward enhancements to the inspection tool:

- If you measure a filet in a STEP file it doesn't give you the radius, only the line length. Not very helpful.

- Measuring between lines gives you the distance between the points you select, but that isn't necessarily the normal distance. Selecting two lines should give the normal distance between them (i.e. measuring thicknesses and lines are // but not directly in line vertically)

- XYZ differences would also be nice

The inspection tool is underrated but is used extensively in reverse engineering and quoting machining jobs

Thanks.

2 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

A few of the things you're asking for already work. Measuring between 2 lines does need improving as it only gives the distance between the 2, if you can measure between 2 points you also get the XYZ distances. I guess were it sort of fails is if the 2 lines are different lengths but you can get YZ picking 2 points on the line.

Distance between line and point.

Clipboard3.png

Distance between 2 points

Clipboard01.png

I don't know why you can't measure fillets the model I'm using in the post in an imported stp file and I have no problems measuring the radius of an edge or a surface.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

alistardean
Contributor

@joeldodichDepending on the generating system, the reason the STEP's radii won't give you a radial measurement is because they're not actually true radius/fillets. It's been a common problem for a many years and by no means restricted to Fusion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report