Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve 2D Chamfer Operation - Support Modelled Chamfers

Improve 2D Chamfer Operation - Support Modelled Chamfers

Currently, the 2D Chamfer tool won't work correctly in scenarios with modelled chamfers, if at all. That's not a problem for deburring sharp edges, but it would be nice if it could support modelled chamfers too. This would eliminate the need to specify a chamfer width, and would mean that you could use the benefits of the tool clearance smarts.

2DChamfer.jpg

5 Comments
MDi-co
Participant

When I first started using the CAM side of Fusion this was very confusing to me.  I modeled a chamfer, I have a chamfer tool, but I have to use contour instead of 2D CHAMFER?

ARTHUR-HM
Collaborator

I just ran into that last week... was so confused why I couldn't get my modeled chamfer to work right. As soon as I got rid of it, and went with the sharp edge, it started to behave as expected. Clearly an area that should be fixed. 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thanks for your idea! We definitely feel you and agree with this idea. The challenge is how our software is set up and is very difficult to make the work well. It's not a small project and we'd like to tackle it but we have some higher priority projects we'd like to knock out this year. We'll keep you posted on our progress. 

maximumiq
Advocate

Hi,

Just have to agree that both chamfering and engraving are both equally annoying in this respect. I have this part where I have to chamfer the edge and carve a DXF based logo and both of these features cannot be Modelled and CAM'd at the same time. So every time I have to generate tool paths, I have to go back to modelling and suppress these features, go back to CAM and generate, go back to modelling and enable the features and so forth.

CAM operations for 'Chamfering' and 'Engraving' should be based on face selections, as both of these currently seems to be based on features from the design model which is clearly breaking the designed UX. I understand the design problem, as the Tool selection tightly depends on the angles being modelled.

I understand the problem here. Mostly all other kind of model features can be milled with almost any tool given the correct CAM parameters. But with these special CAM operations, the model features are bound to quite specific tools. So let that be the rule..

Maybe allow the user to model a chamfering as it's done currently. But when making a Chamfering CAM operation, the user can only select modelled features, where the angle with respect to tool orientation, matches the selected tools angle. This is the rule.

Although more complex to constrain, much the same technique could be applied to the engraving modelling/CAM operations.

In effect, the edit CAM operation constrain the selection of features to mill (or autoselect) to match the selected tools capabilities.

Captain-DJ
Collaborator

I use this by selecting the inner profile of the existing champfer and set the champfer size to zero, don´t know why there is a problem ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report