Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Decal at Correct Scale

Import Decal at Correct Scale

Decal at Correct Scale

Our studio does packaging design work where we have to work with branding objects a lot. As such we find the need to attache labels to products. Our clients need to see how a labelling solution looks in relation to the physical packaging at correct scale. As such we find ourselves applying a lot of decals in our work flow.

I can't imagine we are the only studio that uses Fusion for Packaging projects. It would be very handy if the Decal tool could be improved to incorporate an accurate system of scaling. I have been told to use the Texture map tool, but seems time consuming, when it would seem to make more sense to place a decal and have it at the correct size when you import it.

Our work flow is usually to design in illustrator or indesign labels at correct size, so would be even ideal if you could import a PDF as a Decal and that it incorporated the measurements of the PDF. i.e. if it was 10mm in the PDF that it was 10mm in Fusion.

If it needs to stay as a PNG then we need to have some system as to being able to import that PNG at an accurate scale at a decent resolution.

This would be a really handy feature and seem to make sense with the way Fusion likes to think about things in 3D space as real life objects.

Thanks

3 Comments
colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Archived due to lack of votes. 

jean-michel_legoff
Collaborator
Hello,

I agree with this, it could really be interesting to get the picture of a decal at the real size.
In a printable image there is a "dpi" information which give the physical printed size. I can't understand why Fusion cannot get this information in order to display the image at the right size. Even if there is an option to calibrate the picture a posteriori, the DPI information is already there. When you scan a sketch on a scanner at 300 dpi you can open it in PS or import in any DP app and it comes at the size it has been scanned.

Another boring issue with the edit decal window is the re-initialization of the values each time you open it, si it's very difficult to adjust precisely the position of the pattern especially when you want to use these value as a "parameter" for placing different patterns.

Many thanks
fusion-360_
Enthusiast

Scaling and calibrating would be really nice. It is in Canvas, so why not in Decal?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report