Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immediately See and Edit Expression rather than Result (like in Compare & Edit)

Immediately See and Edit Expression rather than Result (like in Compare & Edit)

This is a feature that already exists when you use the "Compare and Edit" function of a CAM operation - when a field is selected, the result is replaced with the expression it was derived from, making for quicker edits. However, in the standard interface, i.e. using the "Edit" feature of a CAM operation, when you click a field the result remains, and the user is unaware that the resultant value may have been derived from an expression. Currently the user is forced to right click and "Edit Expression" of every field just to see where values are coming from.

7 Comments
kb9ydn
Advisor

The Solidworks version of HSM CAM has a feature where you can hold down the <shift> key and mouse over the field to show the expression.  I kind of thought this would have been in Fusion already but it's not.  Smiley Sad

C|

jeffglitchless
Participant

Actually that feature exists, but it is very tedious to hold shift and mouse over and wait the prerequisite X amount of seconds for the thing to pop up. Also, it doesn't facilitate faster editing, just faster identification.

kb9ydn
Advisor

Awww, it does work and apparently I just didn't wait long enough.  Smiley Frustrated

Not super impressed with that.  It should pop up instantly instead of taking so long.

Actually you know what would be cool; is if it normally showed the value (like now), but if you hold <shift> and mouse over a box it immediately shows the whole expression in the box instead of just the value.  Then if you want to edit it you just click in the box while still holding <shift>.  The expression would then *stick* in the box so that you could edit it.

OR maybe as an alternative, have a hotkey (or something similar) to toggle between value only display and full expression display.

C|

jeffglitchless
Participant

I like the idea of if shift is down you immediately see ALL expressions in all fields. I think if you click to edit it should switch to the full expression, highlighted and ready for replacement like it already does in Compare & Edit, regardless of shift being held down.

kb9ydn
Advisor

Problem is <shift> is already used as a modifier for navigation, so it would have to be something else.  And I'm not sure if I would want full expression edit to be the default either.  I would have to think about that one.

But either way, it would be nice to have easier/faster access to field expressions.  I don't particularly like the compare and edit dialogue for simple editing of values/expressions.  It's fine for actually comparing operations but it's not accessible enough for basic editing.

C|

jeffglitchless
Participant

Yes, shift is already used for things like the advanced mouse over popup, but there would be no conflicts having it simultaneously show expressions.

Also, there's really no downside to having the field change to the full expression and be highlighted when a field is pressed. It doesn't slow down editing in any way, it just shows you exactly what you're replacing. You can replace it with a value or another expression just the same.

I agree that compare and edit isn't nearly as usable as the nice tabbed page interface, due to its inherent lack of organization, but it truly is awesome for comparing and editing multiple operations at once. I absolutely love it.

kb9ydn
Advisor

I know what you're saying but I still feel like I would rather work with just the values by default.  Maybe that would change if it were possible to do what you're describing.

Anyway I still like the idea.

C|

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report