IdeaStation: Request a Feature or Enhancement

New Idea
1 Kudo

I would like to suggest the CAM software remember where a previously posted file is located.  I regularly jump back and forth between CAM files and the Output Folder only remembers the location it was pointed to the last time a file was posted.  I post my CAM files in customer named folders and sub folders with part numbers.

Example

I post a file for customer "123" and then work on a CNC program for customer "456".  While working on "456" I need to go back to "123" and post again.  Now the Output Folder is now pointing to "456" location.  Sure would be nice for the software to remember where "123" is since I have already posted to the "123" location.  This would save time so I would not have to browse back to the location I want the file posted to.

3 Kudos

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 4.28.37 PM.png

Imagine this scenario where you're required to move one of the component in that Rigid Group, it'll be a nightmare and time waster since we need to dig through the browser tree and then deselect the component/s we wanted to move, and after the move is done to reselect and place them back into the rigid group. So instead of doing all that, this will just add a toggle button where the user use the move tool to ignore any components constrained in a rigid group and it'll update the component position in the rigid group once the move operation is completed.
2 Kudos

1. bright green on a white background is not very readable at all. for the individual environment themes I would adjust them so you maintain propper color contrast to enhance readability.

2. I am not in love with the overlay because the Z axis often overlays with the top view. Sometimes Y cannot be seen.

the idea to combine both axis and viewcube makes sense but I am not sure if it is as effective. I would rather split them apart maybe.

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 7.29.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-20 at 7.13.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-20 at 7.13.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-20 at 7.12.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-20 at 7.12.46 AM.png

I might rather offer another option for just showing the axis on the object ground

Show grid

Show Axis and maybe offer a Z axis as well.

I find this a lot more informative to know where and what x and y and z do when you see it next,under, at your object

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 7.32.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-20 at 7.32.31 AM.png

1 Kudo

Currently, when clicking on the Profile menu and selecting Autodesk Account and User Profile, users are redirected to non-intuitive locations.

Autodesk Account takes you to your Autodesk User Profile page.

User Profile takes you to your Fusion Team Hub page.

This is a little confusing.  The menus could be changed to make it more clear, something like (Autodesk User Profile) and (Fusion Hub or View Hub Online) would be clearer.

Fusion Profile menu.jpg

5 Kudos

The ability to create text on an arc in a sketch should be a basic capability of Fusion 360.

4 Kudos

Exporting to Parasolid (x_t) is a must

1 Kudo

I know this is not new!Smiley Wink

Two times you already received this request

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/spacebar-to-repeat-last-command/idi-p...

and

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/spacebar-to-use-for-repeat-last-comma...

and it got archived.

Still I think it would be a a fantastic timesaver! Any chance it could be taken into consideration??!

31549845.jpg

1 Kudo

I think it would be a good idea to be able to import a CAD model for a tool holder. I find it easier to model the holder than have to enter a list of dimensions.

4 Kudos

1.       Constraining problem in two sub-assemblies – parts do not remain constrained in main assembly.

2.       Sketch do not show it’s fully constrained even when all the dimension are given.

3.        All constrains are in distances & dimensions which makes assembling difficult.

(Plane to plane/ axis to axis/ edge to edge constrain should be provided for perfect assembling)

4.       Imported parts do not get constrained in assembly.

5.       Even after grounding/ fixing, objects move.

6.       Any changes made in part model do not get updated in main assembly.

7.       Library of standard parts missing. (too short)

8.       Any intersection or error in assembly is not highlighted.

9.       Customized coil (spiral) feature is not available.

10.   Sheet metal feature not yet available.

51 Kudos

Arc slot

by Advocate nstevelmans 2 weeks ago |

It would be nice to have a command to create an arc slot, now in Fusion This is a lot of work:

sketching, offset , trimming.

arc slot 1.PNGarc slot 2.PNG

Thank you for your idea, this getting changed to future consideration.  It has yet to be decided how we implement the ability to do an arc slot.  Would you consider the ability to do a symmetric offset with arc's on the end as a solution?  This will also give you the ability to make any shape slot, not just an arc.

Regards,

Mike Prom

9 Kudos

When in the CAM workspace, I often find that I want to quickly view a toolpath by clicking on the operation so I can see exactly where the tool is lining up. The issue is that when I have a tool holder assigned to that tool, it gets in the way. As far as I can tell there is no way to turn the holder off unless I go into simulation and view the tool path in there, but that is far from ideal. I suggest an option to hide it, maybe in view tool bar at the bottom center of screen. That would be fantastic. Or even mapped to a keyboard short cut would be even better.

Here is an example of the holder in the way...

large.png

8 Kudos

The Architectural/Feet-Inch unit is available for models but is missing from Drawings of those models. All units that Fusion 360 supports should be available in Drawings.

3 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit stuck in the thread milling capabilities within Fusion. I've already asked in the CAM section for help, but there doesn't seem to be a solution ready. (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/computer-aided-machining-cam/drill-point-thread-mill-programming/m-p/6...)

When thread milling, fusion is always looking at the diameter of the modeled hole, and an offset is possible. This however isn't working well when sometimes holes are sized differently. An m10 hole can be 8.5 mm (standard drill size) or 8.376 mm (the minor diameter) or simply 10 mm.

What i would really like some more control over how a hole should be thread milled.

Regardless of the hole size, or even a point should be enough to thread mill.

We need a few things:

• D (Major diameter) 
  • d (minor diameter)
  • Depth
  • Pitch
  • Angle (for tapered threads)
  • Climb/conventional milling
  • Type of radius compensation
  • Type of feedrate (toolcenter or outside of tool)
  • How many teeth a tool has
  • Spring passes (with or without finishing offset)
  • possibility to use different kinds of thread mills (multiple threads, drill-thread mill, indexed mill etc.)

The use of the cutter in this video would be great, 4 seconds for a completed M10 hole!

http://www.johs-boss.de/en/products/thread-milling-cutters/bgf/

And also you can download their programming tool from here http://www.johs-boss.de/en/products/thread-milling-cutters/bgf/

Or these: http://www.phorn.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/media/PDF/2015_Catalogue_Sub-Sections_EN/Rotating_Tool_...

4 Kudos

I find when working in a design I frequently want to quickly  locate an imported component in the data panel- or open in A360.

I can open the original file from my design, yes, but what I want to do with my many electronic parts is often not to edit the original, but to annotate the notes or make comments in the file, to change the part number (this comes up a lot), or some other action that needs access to the record in the data panel or online. I'd like a link to open an imported component's details on the web without having to first open the component in A360- I may want to know if this part is used in other designs, and which ones, or to add source or cost references to my notes. Problem is, with so many parts, finding one in the data panel is not necessarily easy. It may be in another project, or another design. And typing in the part #'s like MM0906-0-15-20-76-14-11-0 into search when they don't fully display in the browser unless you mouse over them (which precludes typing) is cumbersome. Copy-paste for component names does not work, for obvious reasons. 

The best I can do is to first open the component in Fusion, then choose "Open Details on Web" from the file menu.  At least the path shows once I open on the web, so I know where to look to find it in Fusion. 

What I would love is to be able to RMB on an imported component and have an option to either "Show in Data Panel", or "Open on Web".

-Ron

35 Kudos

Dark UI Option

by Explorer Ryan.Rivas on 2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago |

It would be nice to have a "dark UI" option for the interface. Sometimes It just feels a bit easier on the eyes. 

Nearly every other Autodesk program I have used in the last 10 years has this option. Its weird it hasn't been implemented in Fusion 360 as of yet.  

Dark UI.png

Thanks for the idea! Yes, this is something we'd like to get to. We have a whole project of revamping the UI and bring it out of it's 50 shades of grey and into a more modern/logical visual experience. In the meantime, try using a different environment. That should at least help with eye strain. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 1.58.11 PM.png

13 Kudos

Hi there,

I'm missing a command like the one in Rhino: "RailRevolve": a line/curve is revolved around an axis along a path (two sketches needed).

RailRevolve.jpg

I tried it in Fusion360 in the PATCH environment as a sweep but didn't work. Any other solutions? Otherwise I am greatfull if that could be added!

PATCH Sweep.jpg

Regards

3 Kudos

This is a very simple suggestion, instead of giving the polygon a radius, I'd like to be able to set the diameter. Since circles ask for diameters, I sometimes find myself assuming polygons do the same, only to later discover the mistake. 
I believe this would slightly improve the flow of sketching polygons.

78 Kudos

I propose that right-clicking on a Setup and clicking "Machining Time" should show not ONLY the total machining time for all operations within the setup (as it does now) but ALSO a list with EACH operation and its respective machining time!

Why?

1) When editing operations to reduce cycle time, OFTEN there is the most to gain in the longest operation. 

2) If you want to understand why a Setup Machining time is so long, this feature will QUICKLY show you which operations are taking the majority.

3) If you have a S&F typo (e.g. accidentally drilling at 0.2 IPM instead of 20 IPM) it's a quick way to sanity check WHY you drill operation is taking 47 minutes instead of ~1 minute).

4) We often receive CAM files from customers who want help optimizing their CAM strategies - this would help me understand, similar to #1 and #2 above, what's taking the longest

5) I believe (at the risk of being presumptuous) that this feature should be easy to implement!

Marking this as "future consideration".  It is something that we should do.  Possibly in the first half of the year.  More likely in the second half.

To break it down, you are looking for a way to easily visualize the area of your NC program that has the most machining time so you know where to focus your efforts in optimizing a program.

Is this a correct summary?

5 Kudos

Add subtitles to documentation & tutorial videos

by Explorer rb on Tuesday - last edited Tuesday |

Autodesk makes copious use of videos for documentation and tutorials.  None of them have subtitles.  A lot of the information is spoken. 

I -- along with millions of others -- have hearing loss and trouble understanding speech when I can't see the speaker (or their mouth) and it's about an unfamiliar subject. (Turning up the volume just makes things louder, not any clearer.)

As one of millions of people with hearing loss (half of which are still in the workforce) videos are not very useful to me without subtitles.  Without being able to use the videos as intended, learning is much harder than it needs to be.

162 Kudos

Locally Store All Files

by Collaborator Josh.nelson on a month ago - last edited a month ago |

In light of today's events (see post here), I believe it would be beneficial to allow users to locally store all Fusion files and data.  The data can still be backed up to the server, but is locally stored first.  This would prevent server outages from becoming catastrophic events for businesses, schools, and individuals.  If users did not want to locally store files (due to disk space or other reasons), they could elect not to in Fusion's preferences.  Or perhaps this could be a setting for each folder or project.

Manually, individually backing up files (a current Fusion capability) is not a reasonable solution to this problem.  Not only is it time-consuming and difficult to manage well, it does not currently work for designs that have XREFs.

I personally have no problem using the cloud for storage and computing (such as simulations).  There are some great things that Fusion allows because of this capability.  The lack of local storage as a backup, however, is an issue for me.

We are working on this with multiple teams already. Prabakar already laid out the plan in his post so I'll link to that - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/this-is-what-we-re-doing-about-these-outages/...

Giving you access to your data regardless of service issues is a top priority, so rest assured that the projects we're working on will make it happen. It may be not in exact solution some of you are looking for, but so many of you chiming and sharing ideas, we know the crux of the problem and are working on it.

Thanks,

Bankim

5 Kudos

I write this with a spinning wheel of death in the background.

When Fusion hangs and lags for what seems to be an indefinite period of time, and you find yourself staring at the unfeeling spinning wheel of death and knowing there is no way to take back control other than a force quit. Instead of potentially wrecking your hard work for the gamble it was saved, what about a "force quit process" using the "Command . (period) keys"? to stop the last command and regain control? 

This would be very helpful and much appreciated.

...and now to force quit Fusion and hope that the work was saved.  

28 Kudos

Right now, there is no indication as to whether I have already voted on an idea on IdeaStation.  The only way to tell is to click on the "+ Vote" button and see if the Kudos count goes up (meaning my vote was new) or down (meaning I must have voted already, and forgot).  I'd hate to take away Kudos from a good idea just because I liked it twice!

Thanks!

This ask makes sense to us. Let me bring it up with our forum team and see what we can do. 

10 Kudos

Precisely that. I often nest components to simplify and keep the Browser "short" and facilitate other tasks like making patterns (e.g. nesting joint components within the section on which they will be inserted). The problem is that when I create a parts list in the drawing, I only see the parent components.

When the file contains nested components, the user should be allowed to:

1.- Include the nested components in the parts list

2.- Select which parent components are to be expanded for inclussion their nested components in the list

Maybe a nut/bolt set needs not be separated into two but a section with several of these needs to be expanded to account for all nut/bolt sets you will have to buy.

incomplete.jpgcomplete.jpg

8 Kudos

It would be really nice if that when you open the constraints panel on the right hand side and right click on one of the constraint icons that a little help box would appear that gives you a quick and concise explanation of exactly what it does without having to leaving the sketch environment.

26 Kudos

Allow Sketch Offset to extend + AND -

by Participant nickiago on 3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago |

It would be useful, and eliminate an extra step, in allowing a sketch offset to be bi-direction as it is in SolidWorks (see attached pictures) for extrusions and other features.

Fusion 360 sketch offset.JPG

SolidWorks sketch offset.JPG

Thanks for the idea! This is something we'd like to get to, but we need to get offset from an offset into the Software first. Captured and marking as a future consideration. 

18 Kudos

3D include command is pretty useful in many areas but can also add a needless visual complexity

and making managing the design more labor intensive.

So in addition to the current workflow it would be great if a 3D sketch can directly G0 to G2 to

geometry and sketches WITHOUT having to 3D include them.

The problem is that in some cases 3D included sketches simply occupy the same space.

The you will hide the 3D included geometry at one point resulting into more complexity with

managing and understanding the design by others.

The other problem is that the process adds more features into the timeline which in return

with complex designs will inflate the timeline with features that could be prevented.

Here is a screencast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2ZmY5Mmk2dVgxUEE/view

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 8.39.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-07 at 8.39.07 AM.png

Hey Claas, this is a good idea, but is still a bit ways away before we start work on something like this. Marking it as Future Consideration. 

18 Kudos

Threaded holes

by Advocate jkelindberg 2 weeks ago |

How about adding the option to add threads to the hole tool? As it is now, if you want a threaded hole you have first to create the hole and then add thread.

90 Kudos

It's easy to get the origin planes confused from time to time.

I'd find it very useful to have the xy/xz/yz labels on them like below.

OriginsLabeled.png

Thanks for your idea! Sometime in the January update we'll be introducing world coordinate system in the viewcube (also stemmed from the IdeaStation) so you can better differentiate between Top, Front, Right and what axis is where as you navigate. We'll keep your idea in mind as we make improvements to this in future updates. Pasted image at 2016_12_13 11_47 AM.png

16 Kudos

Be able to move folders

by Enthusiast roberto 2 weeks ago |

If everything was synced locally as a dropbox folder then one would be able to move and organise files 100x faster.
Right now I noticed I cannot move subfolder to a new location.

We are working on something call Autodesk Drive which will be similar to what you are asking for but not exactly the same. I'm archiving this for now. Please open a new idea once you have had a chance to explore autodesk drive in the next few months.

Are you moving the data between projects and do you own both projects? If one of the projects are actually owned by others, this is blocked by design today.

Thanks,

Bankim

2 Kudos

Tool printout

by Advocate Fueler Tuesday |

In order to not have to make too many trips back and forth from the desk I find I must make a list of the tools used in  a job.

I then set the tools up and zero them out.

I would like a printout of the tools used so I don't have to decipher my poor penmanship.

6 Kudos

In sketch mode you can reference dimensions in other dimensions. When a dimensions is referenced by another dimension, it is displayed with a "fx:" in front. The dimensions are linked parametrically this way. However, when you do the same thing with a driven dimension, no link is created. Changing the driven dimension will not propagate to the reference.

screenshots attached

1 Kudo

Capture position

by Contributor rmcgurk Wednesday |

Can you guys make it so that we can turn off the capture position because it may be where I would like it,

and I think that is making joints go nuts, It like part are still in there from the copy and paste,when you make a rigid group Its looks like where are something there that is not.

1 Kudo

Joints

by Contributor rmcgurk Wednesday |

Why when I change the part number or the description in my part when I update my ****'y Joints Blow up.

I have to delete all my part and start over.

Does this have to do with the capture position.?

6 Kudos

Has anybody seen this tech? This would be wonderfull inside Fusion 360.

This means sketching with a tablet directly on the screen, without using image references.

http://www.ilovesketch.com/

Then use the curves to fill patches and then to solids.

16 Kudos

Fusion 360

by Explorer S3Custom 2 weeks ago |
After yet another workday/work hour server outage, I think it would be a great time to add a (perhaps optional) local autosave archive. It KILLS workflow when the file you need is inaccessible in the cloud. Local export of files is possible, but painfully slow and cumbersome.

Thanks for your idea! We're working on a project that lets you choose while projects you want to make available offline. You can read more about it here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/this-is-what-we-re-doing-about-these-outages/...

21 Kudos

I can understand that if I want a step export or OBJ export that the file has to be generted first

but sometimes you wait some time for the fusion archive download link to arrive via email

thats when you are under time pressure not ideal.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.50.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.58.46 PM.png

Hi Claas,

If you are working with individual designs (parts), you can export it locally using the File->Export command to generate a F3D, SAT, Step or IGES file without any wait.

The email workflow is primarily for F3Z (distributed assemblies) or other file formats (like IPT, OBJ) that we can only translate in the cloud asynchronously today. I'm sure we can improve the workflow, and the comments have great suggestions.

However I'm making it a future consideration because I know that there are too many higher priority data management projects ahead of this (like Delete/Recycle bin, Cross project distributed designs etc.) so this won't get worked on in the next couple of months.

Thanks

Bankim

1 Kudo

Add the ability to move the timeline display off of the bottom of the screen.

70 Kudos

Currently there is no straightforward way to copy a sketch to another design

Copy and paste would be very convenient

This is definitely something we want to get to, and is also closely related to http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/copy-sketch-to-another-plane/idi-p/58.... There are some ground work we need to do first before we get to this, so marking this as future consideration. 

12 Kudos

Pipe needs the ability to define

also a start position

and

length with using a dimension

Capture.PNG

5 Kudos

Currently Primitives are still based on sketches.

But I would like those be independent objects that can have feature data that

1. Defines primitive shape data like Cylinder length + radius

2. XYZ location + rotation

Currently I can make a primitive on the global cPlane or glue it onto another object face.

But if I want to build an object more freely out of primitives I need to be able to position them freely

and best without having move features in the timeline after creating the primitive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2SXNjNlFXMUFCUjg/view

5 Kudos

With a cylinder primitive I can only extrude into one direction - that is limiting when for example you need symmetry.Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 7.19.29 AM.png

With a sketch as a start and then extruding it I can extrude into both directions.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 7.19.14 AM.png

So ideally the primitive should grow into both directions.

Currently I would need to extrude the other side by as much as I defined the length of the cylinder

adding an additional modeling feature to the timeline.

9 Kudos

double click on warning selects on timeline related feature to edit and a pop up window with options that can be taken to fix the warning.

10 Kudos

It would be nice to have a command to create a slot of a certain width along an open-ended sketch curve.

It is possible to create it ourselves using two offsets of the curve and two connecting arcs, but it would be nice to automatically "thicken" the curve into a slot.

2 Kudos

IK chains for wire layouts, ropes and chains.

by Enthusiast on Monday - last edited Monday |

In Maya 3D there is a powerful animation tool called Inverse Kinematics or IK Chains. Using IK chains makes a character come to life by adding joints from a fixed position chained to a moveable and bind-able null point.

Here is a quick demo of Maya's IK chain

This would be a fantastic addition to Fusion 360's super powers as we would be able to create jointed (flexible) wires, ropes, chains, etc. from one component to another. This would allow us to reposition a component, with full collisions detection of course, without having to remodel the wires, a very time-consuming process. 

So now, all powerful Fusion 360 engineers, go forth and yank that code directly out of Maya with a crowbar and effortlessly slam it into fusion where it will simply work how I dream it will. 

22 Kudos

The standard for all Macintosh applications is to live in the /Applications folder.

For reasons I don't really get, Fusion lives in 

/Users/sanguish/Library/Application\ Support/Autodesk/webdeploy/production/46a680c5cfca2e2c13d4766c80f740b5d7b8fd81/Autodesk\ Fusion\ 360.app 

This is about as non-standard as it gets. Why?

And in that production directory there are at last a dozen copies of fusion that won't work that take up 40Mb each. This is a horrible waste. And I have no idea what can be removed.

This needs cleanup ASAP.

We offer Fusion on mac in 2 ways. The first one is the download from our site that installs to the user profile location so that it can update itself. The second way is via Mac App store which installs to /Applications and is kept up-to-date via the app store.

Over 2 years ago, there used to be a lag between the update to the .com version and the one on the mac app store. That lag is small enough to not matter any more.

If you like the install to /Applications, please get the app from the MAS. Your entitlements and settings will carry over seamlessly.

Thanks,

Bankim

11 Kudos

When using the 2D > Engrave tool in the CAM workspace, generated paths are very far from optimal.  Some paths result in 90%+ unnecessary movement.  This is most obvious when engraving text.

I make some simple signs with names on them.  Below is a small screenshot of part of the tool path (I don't want to include names, so I can create another screenshot with generic text if needed). Just for some perspective on the cost, the word "Always" is about 5 inches long and the body is roughly 30 inches.  Each time it does an unnecessary movement, it's not just a little movement, it's traveling in some cases 20 inches just to come back to where it was!

Let me summarize the movements below (sorry if i missed any):

1. In the word Always, it enters on the y
  2. Goes off and does another letter y on the other side of the body 
  3. Returns to Always and engraves the comma
  4. Moves up to the letter l (L) and engraves it
  5. Goes off and does a letter L on the the other side of the body, followed by another letter near that one
  6. Moves down PAST Always, to another word, engraves one letter
  7. Moves up PAST Always to another word engraves one letter
  8. Moves up to Always, engraves the letter A
  9. Moves down to another word engraves one letter
  10. Moves back to Always and engraves A followed by W (enters W from the middle...)
  11. Engraves the letter S

Please optimize these movements, or provide us with a method to optimize them manually.

Thank you so much! 

toolpaths.PNG

P.S.  I love Fusion, this is just my one gripe!

13 Kudos

Coming from a background in Catia, one thing I seemed to ALWAYS use, especially in large assemblies, was the ability to toggle on or off visible/hidden workspaces. This is important primarily with large assemblies as you start to hide surfaces, bodies, components/etc searching thru all those drop downs becomes extremely tedious especially if its a small patch, or screw/etc that was hidden for CAM/etc. 

I'd love to just be able to toggle visibility to see everything that is currently hidden then show or select what I need that's hidden then toggle back to my visible view as normal. This would be ideal if it were available over all workspaces, but primarily the Model and CAM. 

Attached is something I've been wanting to make for a while. Found a decent model but has over 60 components. I've hidden a couple parts of the main housing, but none of the components are named they just have a part number. Right clicking the body hides the body not the component so now I need to go thru every single component and open it, then open bodies to see if its turned off which is going to take way too long most likely. This is just one example of why this would be beneficial. 

18 Kudos

Couldn't this hot key serve double duty based on the mode one's in when typing it?

20 Kudos

I would like to be able to see and edit dimensions associated with a feature without entering the sketch or feature.

Explanation:

Right now in Fusion 360, I have to remember which feature or sketch a dimension is a part of (since they are treated separately), then either double click the feature/sketch in the timeline, or right click and choose edit.  The timeline rolls back temporarily, so you only see what the model looked like when the feature/sketch was created.   Then double click the dimension to edit it.

In Solidworks, I can click on a feature in the tree or on any face that is a part of the feature in the model, and all the associated dimensions will appear on top of the model in its current state.  Then I can edit any of those dimensions with a single click (or a double-click for no rebuild after).  Total of 2 (or 3) clicks, with little to no extra time spent searching for a particular feature earlier in the tree.

268d802a0e5142f886b2cc9d74902ca5 2d715d8eab1f4547be3f96a640ac27ae

To be clear, the main issue here isn't the number of clicks, but the lack of information about a feature within the context of the more complete design.  Solidworks lets you edit a feature early in the tree, without taking you out of the context you're in when you decide to make the change.  Fusion 360 forces you out of that context, temporarily rolling back to the sketch/feature in question, making it harder to predict the downstream effects on the rest of the timeline.

I know that in the example I give here, I can just use the push/pull tool to modify that height in Fusion, and it changes the height within the extrude feature (which is awesome, by the way).  But I think that even on something this simple, it helps to see the other dimensions in that feature at the same time to help you dial in your changes.

Thanks!

-Eitan

(This idea was proposed over a year ago, but it got archived due to having too many ideas in one post: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/improve-viewing-of-information-about-...)

13 Kudos

In T-Splines for Rhino it was able to use a bunch of curves to create a T-Spline surface. Something similar in Fusion 360 would be nice.

Ways.png

1 Kudo

Can you guys add Structural shapes to the modeling space and or a link in the insert pull down to be able to down Structural Shapes.? 

20 Kudos

It would be really nice to be able to add a counterbore or countersink to the backside of a hole not just the front of it. This can be especially helpful when adding a hole from a flat face through to a curved face that need a counterbore for a fastener. The only way I have found to do this is to add a construction plane where you want the counterbore to start and model it manually.

We're investigating this and discussing this with the team. We'll keep you posted on what we find. 

69 Kudos

Hello,  first let me say that I'm enjoying learning Fusion 360.  Being a 20yr Solidworks guy, I've got some habits that are really hard to break.  I'm not requesting that you turn your software into Soldiworks, but I do have an easy enhancement request that would make a lot of sense.

When I model parts, I create sketches and the extrude, revolve, sweep & etc - same as solidworks.  However, in Solidworks I have my preferences set (as well as my designers) to prompt the designer to enter the name of the feature when its created.  Naming your features as you make them is a great way to be able to quickly go back and modify things and understand the history tree better.

I'm sorry, but with Fusion its difficult to understand the history tree, see the second pic below.  It takes forever.  Going back and giving the features names (after the fact) helps, but in order to see them I have to carefull hover over the tree with my mouse and wait 100ms for the tag to pop up.  Why not assign a keyboard key (say n) that when pressed shows the names of all the features.temp_name_labels.JPGdesign_history_bar.JPG

Yes, the text gets int the way of the other icons, but all I need is for them to pop up so I can find my feature, as soon as I realase the n key, they go away.

Thanks and keep up the good work,

Walt Dannhardt

Hey there! Thanks for your idea. We reviewed it and wanted to share some thoughts. As easy as this seems, it is not an small project. We have plans to improve the usability of the timeline, and what you're describing is definitely something we want to tackle. With that said, you brought up the delay that occurs when you hover over an item in the timeline. This is something we can look at right away and see if we can get rid of that delay so that names popup immediately. 

12 Kudos

showing constraints for ONLY the object selected would be handy on a cluttered sketch

Option for NO automatic constraints as you create objects

1 Kudo

All F360 drawings are in the cloud right? 

I run F360 at my office desk and on a laptop for school / shop.

Since all projects are listed in the Data Panel, and I only have the one login/account,  I assumed that the folder names would be the same.

Not so.  It seems that they are unique to the software installation.   I was only able to find the file I was wanting to work on, using the Most Recent option. 

To avoid confusion / panic, I suggest that the folder names be consistent with the user account.  This feature is common with other cloud based resources I use.

6 Kudos
Pretty often i got ideas on the run, with only the mobile around, that I want to sketch up directly and use for 3d modeling later when I got home to my computer.
It would be really handy to have possibilities to sketch in the Fusion 360 mobile (android/iOS) apps and save it into the workspace and later when I get back to the computer open up the sketches and continue the work and the 3D modeling.
7 Kudos

Not sure how everyone else handles the CAM side of prototyping but almost every new design I machine has its own dedicated "environment" file for CAM with my machine\table\vise models and my designs linked in. It sure would be nice to have the update references button available in the CAM work-space so I don't have to always switch to the model work-space just to click a button and then switch back.

yes-please.jpg

1 Kudo

Please consider adding the DWG extension to the New Design from the File list of file types. The only way I have otherwise have found to convert my DWG designs into fusion 360 native design file is through the upload in the Data panel itself in Fusion. Otherwise, if I upload a DWG anywhere else, it remains a DWG.

Thanks,

8 Kudos

Hey Fusion development team , 

All the updates that you have been giving users like us are incredibly amazing . Waiting for more updates for sheetmetal , etc.. 

Also my quick kind suggestion is for you to kindly please update the roadmap in this link

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-product-roadmap/bg-p/79

for atleast once in  3 months .. 

7 Kudos

When you choose "select same diameter", please show how many total instances (e.g. number of holes) are selected.

7 Kudos

Building an assembly from the bottom up results in a very long timeline. There are many suggestions on how to better navigate the timeline. Saving each component out to a separate may help in the assembly timeline, but this just moves the timeline navigation issue to a bunch of different files.

When Find in Timeline is activated, the event may not even appear in the current timeline screen. If things are working right, the event timeline is scrolled to show the event and wonderfully subtle hash marks are delicately placed over the event thumbnail. The little blue background is only a marginal improvement. (Other times you don't even get either. But that's another issue.)

So, with an event highlighted, I now 18 inches of 0.01" wide icons scattered across the bottom of screen and I have to find three little slash marks. With color swatches turned on, finding the little slashes in this cluttered band turns into a game of Where's Waldo (but not as much fun).

So, enough whining? What's my suggestions?

Please consider making the active timeline event more obvious. One or more of the following might help.

1. Center the active (or selected) event on the screen so that it can be found in a consistent location.
  2. Show the mouse-over popup above the selected event. This would not require adding any graphics elements.
  3. Flash or enlarge the active (or selected) event icon.
  4. If suggestion 2 is not viable, place a larger maker over the active (or selected) event.
  5. Show user-added labels in the timeline. These would help users build visual queues along the timeline to help keep track of the relative location.

Another option might be to use a "browser" structure for the timeline, maybe in a separate window. This format would show the event names and allow for expanding and collapsing timeline sections.

Eugene

aka Lost in time-line

Disclaimer: As of 2017-01-01, the above user has accrued less than 200 hours with the modeling environment and is still adjusting to the Fusion-way. Respectful suggestions and pointers for structuring bottom-up assemblies and timeline management are appreciated.

18 Kudos

Apply Button in various commands dialog boxes

by Advisor Beyondforce on 4 weeks ago - last edited 4 weeks ago |

Hi Guys,

Adding an Apply button to various commands dialog boxes, will allow us to keep using the tool instead of reopening it over and over again.

2016-12-25_050956.png2016-12-25_051016.png2016-12-25_051036.png

Cheers / Ben
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Check out my YouTube channel: Fusion 360: Newbies+

7 Kudos

Hey Fusion 360 development team,

Some of  my customers have been asking for the retrieve dimensions in Fusion 360 . One of the best dimension option in inventor and also the arrange dimension option .  

retrieve dimensions.png

4 Kudos

I think it would be a good addition to be able to select multiple chains with the Drag Selection tool within the CAM module.

multi selection.jpgespecially when you are doing engraving on a surface.

this would aid in being able to speedup work flow and also reduce the chance of missing a chain if you have to select each one individually like at the moment.

thanks

Leigh

7 Kudos

Please add export to Parasolid (*.x_t , *.x_b).

by Advocate 121183ddp on 2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago |

When I give my model to the work of the partners in the production of molds, we have a problems with the  translation geometry.
The partner's CAD systems work on the core Parasolid: Solidworks and NX.
And *.step file from Fusion 360 read errors when importing into Solidworks. Also when you import such step in Solidworks and NX lost the names of the bodies (instead of the name it just written "body").
Need to export from Fusion 360 to Parasolid (*.x_t) for normal interaction with partners.

7 Kudos

Don't hide the Help menu items when I'm in offline mode. Just because Fusion isn't connecting to the server doesn't mean I don't have access to the internet. The forum link, submitting an idea, and whatever else is under that menu should still work the same as online mode.

6 Kudos

While sketching a profile to be used in 3D, in order to create an empty region that will be easily picked for the 3D operation we often use Trim, however, trim a sketch entity makes it lose its parametric constrains, constrains that would be useful for later modifications to the profile.

My Idea/suggestion is that when an sketch entity is trimmed the entity becomes a construction line retaining the constrains and the untrimmed portion of the entity becomes coincident to the construction line. So, changes to the constrains of the construction line update the untrimmed portion. Obviously, this wold require that the trimming element would also remain as a constrain.

An implementation of this would be a line at an angle, say 30°, that is intercepted by an horizontal line, I want to remove the portion of the angled line that is 'south' of the horizontal line, so I trim it. Say that latter I wan to change that angle to 45°, maintaining all the rest. With my idea this would be something very simple to do, that wouldn't requiring resketching that portion.

6 Kudos

DWG Output

by Contributor rmcgurk 2 weeks ago |

There Should be a way to set the version of Autocad dwg file so that it can be output in that version.Like for someone that has a version like ACAD 2000.

What doe's Fusion 360 Save the DWG in.?

5 Kudos

Fusion 360 does not offer any hotkeys for switching to views.

You can only use the 3D view cube which works but

1. results into moving the mouse too much

2. involves many clicks to make a 180 degree view switch

Blender has a pretty nice ability to snap to 45 degree increments when rotating the view.

So to switch from front to back I simply rotate the view and when I am close to the back view press n hold ALT and

it will snap to the view I want.

This is also incredibly useful for any other isographic 3/4 view etc.

Here is a screencast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2UndkQlk2RlZYM00/view

11 Kudos

When adding the first dimension, the cursor has the little dimension icon on it, as usual.  But once you've entered the value for that dimension and you hit enter, the dimension tool is still active (which is a good thing) but the cursor icon is no longer there (which isn't).  Seems like a bug!

599748575e754770b3c690f382a624a3

I'm on Windows 7 Professional SP1, if that matters.

5 Kudos

Have you ever put a lot of work into defining loads, connections and constraints on a model for a static stress simulation and then wanted to do a modal analysis on it? You'll spend quite a bit of time redoing the same definitions again, because there is no option to copy loads and constraints.

So, my proposal is that if you select to duplicate a study, give the option to switch to another study type. Sure, not all types of loads and constraints are available in all study types but at least duplicate those which are relevant. Or alternatively, make it possible to copy/paste.

6 Kudos

Should create a windows folder to your data similar to Google drive so that when you browse for renderings,etc. (when uploading to internet sites), you can browse for it easily without having to export and then upload back to the net. 

21 Kudos

Hello Community,

i have experienced a common problem with my designs. While exporting DXF-Files from sketches, they are useless when opened with a third party program. I found a workaround on the forum that works. The basic problem is that Fusion uses the highest version of the dxf Format, but a lot of other systems can´t read that. So it would make things much easier, if it would be possible to choose which format will be used to export the dxf.

@steffen-kraft,

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  We have a list of improvements that are in our backlog to improve dxf export including but not limited to saving to previous version, adding colors and assigning layers.  Right now we are exploring the customer experience with the access options we have.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

2 Kudos

Automatic Material to component application

by Participant RoboCutters on a week ago - last edited a week ago |

I am certain that like me, there are hundreds if not thousands of people who want to import whole models created in another CAD program and have the ability to easily assign materials to those models automatically for rendering purposes.

Currently when importing whole models, it is only possible to assign materials for rendering to similar components by dragging the material to the component, then all similarly named components are automatically assigned the same material, BUT not ALL components that are of the SAME material are automatically assigned.

There is a function to keyshot where you can import full models as STP files or other formats, then assign a custom library of materials to the model. The library assigns materials to the model components based on the component name.

For instance all components that have been assigned as 'bolt' can automatically be assigned a material.

Also, similarly named components of varying size can also have material assigned automatically. For example, in a model there could be several components ranging from a few to hundreds or thousands of the same component but something is different about the component compared to other very similar components.

For instance bolts or screws of different lengths, aluminum extrusions of different widths, height or length.

If we take the extrusions as an example, there may be extrusion sizes of:

Based on component name, width, height, length

ext 20x80x100

ext 20x60x200

ext 40x160x2000

Each is different in its own way but ALL are the same material.

In each case however there is a constant, the name. So in Keyshot we are able to assign a wildcard in the material library so that ALL extrusions are assigned the same (Satin aluminum) based on the wildcard ext* = 'satin aluminum'

The same would apply to bolts, again using a similar format to above, we could have dozens of the following components in varying diameter, type and length:

Steel Bolt, M5 x 50

Steel Bolt, M6 x 20

Steel Bolt M8 x 50

Hex Bolt M5 x 15

Hex Bolt M5 x 50

Hex Bolt M5 x 25

Domed Bolt, M5 x 20

Domed Bolt, M5 x 35

and so on.

Again the constant is the part name identifier so again a wild card can be introduced for each component to assign a material automatically from the assigned library.

I have attached a screencast demonstrating this feature in keyshot: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/87b7bd7e-4026-415e-913b-cf37c1b4e900 

The process is:

Demonstrate non-automatic material assignment

Undo

1. Create a custom library

2. Insert a part name with a wild card

3. Assign a material to that component

4. Apply the library to the model

Repeat.

Easy, easy, easy...

6 Kudos

print a rendering

by Contributor johnhoge 2 weeks ago |

I love the rendering function, but would love even better if there was a print button. Right now I have to save the files to disk, open them in photoshop, print from photoshop and then remember to delete the file on disk if it's not correct.

File>Print would be great!

3 Kudos

Imagine having a complex design with lots of planes and you want to put a new sketch on the same plane as another sketch. How do can you tell which plane to put the new sketch on?

20 Kudos

Branched\multiple Pipe

by Mentor on a month ago - last edited a month ago |

It would be useful if you could select multiple paths with branches for the pipe command. Also allow selecting multiple paths that don't touch. It would help laying out waterways and runners in mould tools.

Screencast example done in Rhino.

Mark

@HughesTooling,

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  Right now you can select multiple segments when using the pipe tool inside of T-Splines.  The modeling pipe tool is actually limited by our chaining selection capabilities, which is something that we are working on improving in the future.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

18 Kudos

In Autodesk Inventor, you can quickly name a dimension for parametric modeling by entering "totalWidth = 15in" into the Sketch Dimension toolbox in place of just "15in" - this doesn't work in Fusion. The only way I have found to do this in Fusion is open up the Parameters dialog and manually edit the spreadsheet, which becomes time consuming and tedious!

Attached is a photo of how this feature works in Inventor.

This is important for us but we have some more critical sketching projects such as getting fully constrained sketches out of preview, improvements on sketch solver and performance, CV splines, as well as number of other things in sketch you current just can't do. Hopefully we can get to through our list quickly and get to this soon.

4 Kudos

Decal Improvements

by Explorer rcroeder 2 weeks ago |

Simply when trying to position a decal, such as trying to overlay a PCB pattern onto a imported model, the decal asks for the face, and the image.

1) There should be an option to scale to face selected.

2) When moving between scale and position, the scale should not be reset to 1. That is if I am trying to micro adjust the position, it the scale should not changes until I place the image.

10 Kudos

Stop Sketch by double-clicking in empty space

by Participant echer80111 on 3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago |

I would like to be able to exit the sketch I am editing by double clicking in empty space.  I may be biased as a long-time Solidworks user, but I find that it makes my workflow more streamlined if I can get into and out of sketches with a simple double-click.

Thanks!  -Eitan

2 Kudos

In the Sketch mode, please add a command to FLIP selected sketch entities in either a horizontal and/or vertical way, instead of using the Mirror command. This feature has been in illustration software (Freehand, Illustrator) since 1988 and is widely used and very useful. Thank you.

13 Kudos

Contraints are selected by clicking on the small icons.  Why not have the name of the constraint also be clickable?

2 Kudos