IdeaStation: Request a Feature or Enhancement

How do I get my idea in Fusion 360?

Implemented

find in browser

cekuhnen
New Idea
12 Kudos

After the latest update the move function in fusion 360 does not support Move to a face anymore. How should I assemble anything now? Only workarrount that works sometimes is to move from point to point and move a known length in the direction I need my part.

This was a unexpected issue introduced with the recent Move tool update - we're aiming to fix this as soon as we can!

13 Kudos

It would be really nice if that when you open the constraints panel on the right hand side and right click on one of the constraint icons that a little help box would appear that gives you a quick and concise explanation of exactly what it does without having to leaving the sketch environment.

Thanks for your idea - we can improve the tooltips to include a brief description. We'll look into this and keep you posted on when the improvements go live. 

32 Kudos

no limit to zoom in

by Advocate Coscor_NPL on ‎06-16-2016 03:15 AM

Hi all

I have great deal of problems with the ability to not being able to zoom more in.

it might sound stupid, but it means a lot when you're projecting in a sketch, and cannot see (or even fix) any gaps in the profile

Why not just let us zoom forever? or at least so that 0.005mm fills the entire screen?

thanks! think it should be easy enough to implement, right?

So we have made an improvement for the upcoming late September release.  We've changed the camera zoom clipping from 0.5mm to 0.05mm.  We did not go to infinite zoom in order to keep a balance of zooming into a level that is usable, and not paying a big performance tax.  Hope this helps and would like to hear you feedback after the update on this.

hope this helps.

Jamie.

22 Kudos

Symetrical Extrustion

by Contributor jhackney1972 on ‎05-21-2016 12:07 PM

Change Fusion 360 symmetric extrusion option by distance to be the total extrustion distance rather than half.  In Autodesk Inventor if you want to extrude a sketch symmetrically about the sketch plan you enter the total extrustion distance not half of it.  Fusion 360 forces you to either type a mathmatical distance or figure it in your head.  Cut out the extra step.

Example: I sketch a rectangle and I want to extrude it symmetrically about the sketch plan by 40mm.  I should be able to type in 40mm in the distance field not have to divide by two to get 20mm on each side.  Pretty easy here but to do one that is a total of 411/64" distance, I have to type extra characters in the distance field to do the math because I am not that fast on doing this in my head.

The two applications should match anyway!

6 Kudos

kudos not showing [Ideastation bug]

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎05-06-2016 07:57 AM

The last week or so, upvoted ideas haven't been showing they they're upvoted

That /\ is from an idea I upvoted and if I click it again, the vote count goes down. Very confusing :)

Vendor engaged and investigating

23 Kudos

Getting back on the timeline to this command:
- the command does not remember direction;
- all the numerical values are reset.

It is very uncomfortable.

In the example of the attached photos - movement was set initially in the direction of the inclined pipe.

problem.png

16 Kudos

Delete

by Advocate gordonclamp on ‎08-28-2016 11:57 AM

I like to be tidy, I therefore like to delete obsolete designs. Each time I try to delete a design I get "A version of this design has been referenced by drawings or other designs and cannot be deleted". I am the only person accessing these designs so if I want to delete them, regardless of the consequences I should be allowed to, leaving obsolete designs on the desktop can lead to a wrong issue being used.

Alternatively allow easy access to the referenced versions so they can be deleted correctly.

We are working on delete with a full recycle bin for restoring / purging of the data.

Thanks,

Bankim

33 Kudos

Engrave Single Line fonts

by Contributor ericjedwards on ‎12-04-2015 10:26 AM

Like the title, it would be great to be able to engrave single line fonts. I see it working with the new engrave statergy or trace statergy.

20 Kudos

Adding pages within the same drawing file

by Advocate on ‎11-04-2015 12:21 PM

I would like to produce rich IP documentation of my designs using the Fusion 360 Drawing modual (Big fan of it, so I want it to be all it can be).

The current build (as I understand it) only allows one drawing file page to be saved out at a time. I would like the ability to basically create a full design doc with many pages within a single drawing file that I can then export out as a multipage PDF document, set of PNG or JPEG files. 

In addition, I would like to be able to pose my 3D file then have it translate over to the Drawing as a custom camera option. Currently Drawing views are very limited. Ideally I would like to be able to build detailed assembly instructions so views would need more flexability than they are currently. Will need to zoom into specific features as set up in the Model modual or within the Drawing modual itself. 

Hope that is clear. 

Hey @El8ias, I'm going to change this idea's status to Accepted because we have a whole slew of Parts List improvements that you'll see coming through in Drawings this year that I think you'll enjoy.

Also, you can today create custom Named Views in the Model workspace, and those named views all are respected in the Drawings workspace as view types for you to use. Here's a screenshot of an example, you can see "My Custom View" in the Orientation dropdown. 

23 Kudos

Toggle between normal lines and Construction lines during sketch (i.e. on the fly) by pressing an appropriate key such as Ctrl / Command or Tab rather than completing a line or shape and then right clicking it to select the option. This will allow for really quick iteration on complex or multiple construction lines in a sketch but would be quicker than right clicking in general.

4 Kudos

I'd like to request the ability to set & save the pivot point permamently (not just between commands but saved within the F3D/schema).   Could be done by remembering set pivot changes from within the move command but it might be nice if it was somehow treated like a atomic command as far as undo/redo were concerned?

Thanks!

-Nathan

@nathan.skalsky you can currently do this in the Animation workspace. When you reset the pivot, you'll see a small lock icon that you can click to "lock" in the new pivot point for that component or selection of components. We're still evaluating the design of this feature before pushing it into the Model workspace. Give it a spin and shoot me some feedback if you have any.

9 Kudos

Support scaling at 250% (and higher?)

by Participant danielealbright on ‎06-20-2015 09:06 AM

I'm using a Dell M3800 workstation with a 4K touchscreen. The default scaling is 250%. I know you guys support 200% but if I change my computer settings for that it makes all my programs (including Fusion) run too small, but Fusion360 is very distorted/unreadable at 250%. 

19 Kudos

Ray tracing GPU?

by Advocate McSquizzy on ‎07-13-2015 02:43 PM

Are there any plans to shift Ray Tracing from CPU cores to GPU cores? With 1,500 GPU cores you could probably parallel process the rays faster than on 4 CPU cores. 

We will be releasing local background rendering in an upcoming release.

13 Kudos

Decoupling Referenced Files

by Enthusiast nallenscott on ‎09-24-2015 07:33 AM

After inserting a file into another design, I want the ability to decouple the referenced design and have the freedom to choose whether the decoupling should only affect the current version of the parent (leaving historical references intact), or permanent, and affect all previous versions as well (zap referenced design from parent history). If I choose permanent, I then want the freedom to delete / move the decoupled data file.

11 Kudos

I was using Solidworks + Bobcad-CAM until last week.

Fusion is way faster and more consistent.

Fusion 360 CAM is missing two features I used all the time.  Wish you could add them to Fusion 360.

The feature are deviation analysis to tell me the deviation from the model after applying my CAM operations.  The 
second is refine.  Refine lets you Zoom in real close, then recalculate the stock, thus giving a very high res view of the remaining stock.

Attached are two pictures of these features.

We current have Deviation Analysis in the desktop CAM solutions.

It will be added to Fusion 360.

Zoom is allready in Fusion 360

6 Kudos

fix/unfix -> fix or unfix

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎07-11-2014 11:27 AM

In a sketch, there is a two-finger tap / right-click menu option to fix/unfix a curve. This should be replaced with either fix xor unfix so the user knows both the current state and which state they are toggling to.

9 Kudos

Move files between projects

by Advocate leesty on ‎12-06-2014 02:56 PM - last edited on ‎12-06-2014 02:59 PM |

I seem to be unable to move files between projects. I am still green with this, but I have a few projects setup that I have been practicing with. Just to get to kow the software. I have been modeling basically the same part and sometimes going through to CAM. Sometimes I will only want a model or a rendering for my website. I would like to keep those projects seperate, but use parts from existing projects. Sometimes with the same name. 

I have no need for rendered drawings of my parts in with the CAM side and vice versa. 

Also I would like to have the ability to actually delete these prtojects that I am working with for training. 

I only found a place to deactivate it. Once I learn what I need to, there is zero reason to keep it.

We are builting an automated tool to move items and their activity from one project to another.

I'll update here once I have a better idea when this will be complete. It should be in the next update or two.

5 Kudos

It would be cool if these updates were seamless... The UX of losing service each time an update needs to be applied kind of sucks. Surely you could setup some mirroring? apply the updates on the mirrored version, then flip the switch and sync any data mismatches there after. 

I could understand it being difficult with some major updates, but the majority should happen with no service interruption.... it's one of the things Onshape claim won't happen. Time will tell if that happens in practice.

We are working towards a goal of zero down time for our users.

7 Kudos

Uploading to server progress indicator

by Advisor on ‎10-25-2014 01:04 AM

Hi,

I noticed this a couple of times where I want to close the Fusion app and it'll give me a warning that Fusion 360 is uploading message. I'm fine with this but it'll be nice if there's probably an icon indicator at the window bar showing if there's any activity going on. That way I can ensure everything is properly uploaded before turning it off to avoid any unnecessary problems

Thanks

We are adding a spinner to data to show which items have pending save and sync pending. This should help know when they complete.

12 Kudos

Easier export

by Advocate on ‎10-20-2014 09:57 PM - last edited on ‎10-23-2014 09:40 AM |

I want to suggest making export a little more friendly, specifically to allow direct obj export. For example on the image below , in the left window, it would be cool to have one more option that says Export . and it gives you an option to export as STL or OBJ right away. 

3 Kudos

Branch / Merge: Design Compare

by Advocate bverboort on ‎01-12-2015 08:26 AM

Some ideas/wishes as you develop this functionality...

Object Support:

• BOMs
  • Assembly models
  • component models
  • Bodies

Function/UI:

• Superimpose like tracing paper
  • Push/pull method to fade/focus (dimming) of versions
  • Send to back & bring to front for version priority within design context
  • Shift/reorder/resequence versions being compared
  • Allow (temporary?) collection of versions to compare (grouping)
  • Push/pull method to highlight deviation cues (color and brightness)
  • Allow versions to be "Cut In" and provide a detailed preview of results
  • Support layering of multiple granular recursive merges (merge merges)
  • Drag and drop enabled, Interactive (rotation) 3D Matrix view of items and versions (using item previews?)

Reporting:

• Matrix
  • 3D matrix
  • Mind map
  • Export types- XML,CSV,...?

Best,
Brian

11 Kudos

Axis Labels

by Enthusiast HanswurstNC on ‎03-05-2014 02:38 PM

How about color coding the entry boxes with the same colors as the axis lines? When I'm presented with the Move dialog box, I never know which axis is which. If you either made the titles in the diolog box match the color of the axis in the drawing or put a small x, y or z on each axis in the drawing it would make things much easier to see.

Thanks

Hanswurst

we have added this to our backlog and will be evaluating the solution and any extenuating implications on the experience to make sure it's the right one.  Look for this in upcoming updates.

hope this helps.

17 Kudos

Make it Easier to DELETE!!!

by Participant MetalDawg on ‎06-30-2016 05:46 PM

I know this has been posted before, but I am going to throw this idea out again!

Make it easier to delete versions, please!  I am a one-man shop, and most people do not need the the collaborative functions of A360.  I know what should and should not be deleted.  If I am going to get a "A version of this design has been referenced by drawings or other designs and cannot be deleted" notice then at least tell me which exact versions have referenced the part so I can hunt them down and delete them too.

I love Fusion 360, but this is a poor feature for the majority of the users.

Maybe have an option to enable this feature for the online collaborators out there.

Thanks!

We are working on the ability to delete designs even if there are historical references to it. This will include a recycle bin so that you can restore it if it was deleted accidentally.

Thanks,

Bankim

22 Kudos

Hole Table / Chart for drawings

by Advocate TravisJoe on ‎07-15-2016 10:04 PM

When working with sheetmetal and machined parts with many holes I really like using hole chart/table tools to declutter drawings and allow more information. I also feel it improves readability. 

Most the major Mechanical CAD packages include this, Inventor being one of them. Since there is a major focus on CAM in Fusion, plus the soon coming 2D profile cutting addition to CAM and Sheetemetal forming capability, I feel this would be a great addition to the software package.

(Found an Autodesk Inventory example from the internet)

38 Kudos

Better Drawing Function

by Participant sajjapongse on ‎05-20-2016 10:54 PM

In my professional engineering life Drawing is the most important thing when I working.

As now Fusion 360 offer really small amount of Drawing option to me and I suggest that it need to be improve.

Here are my suggestions.

1. Atleast make it so after I convert file to dwg I can use another CAD to edit my drawing. Right now when I export it to another CAD the drawing just appear to have no model line in it. Make it completely unable to edit and in some case can not even open it. (If this was my fault I will be happy if you can point the solution for me. The CAD I use is Draftsight and LibreCAD)

2. Add function so we can manually add line or edit line in each view

3. Let us edit and/or create our own Drawing layout. It is really important for Engineering work.

4. Lacking of welding symblom is really a big no for me.

5. Adding more customize for text and line. (Line size, shape, color etc)

6. More option for center line and center mark. (Orientation basically)

Basically all engineering annotation and advance drawing.

(In true if you dont have enough man power for this just allow us to manually edit or

just as I write above make dwg file work on other CAD program and I will be happy)

Have high hope for this program and appreciate the work you guy done so far.

Just this drawing function that really dissatisfy me.

Hi @sajjapongse, items #2-6 are in our backlog, thanks so much for the ideas. #1 is something you're experiencing because of the CAD systems you're using, and we aren't focusing our efforts right now on interop with these types of 3rd party CAD packages - we are working on rounding out and completing the functionality within the Drawings workspace first. 

30 Kudos

Extrude Between in Extrude, Sweep, Revolve

by Advisor on ‎05-08-2016 01:17 PM - last edited on ‎05-08-2016 02:02 PM |

One of the features I miss most when modelling in more advanced/mature modellers like Inventor/Solidworks, is the use of Between as a termination option in Extrude, Revolve & Sweep. Also with support for the sketch being outside of the selections (but still on a valid path).

16 Kudos

Add Direct Edit while capturing history

by Advisor on ‎07-05-2015 01:26 AM

Please can you add Direct Edit while capturing Design History. I want to be able to rotate, patch, delete, scale & move faces without having to turn off history. Capturing direct editing history is pretty useful in its own right (Inventor has absolutely nailed it IMO), but this is super useful for CAM users. 

This maybe a duplicate idea, but a search didn't turn up any results.

@scottmoyse @Strossa

We're currently revamping the Move command, and we're including Move Face in parametric designs as part of that :) Current plan is to release this in January.

25 Kudos

Cloud upload status indication

by Advocate maruska on ‎05-13-2015 09:05 AM

I would like to know which of my files are synced and which are still uploading/syncing.

A simple color change on the part icon would be enough.

48 Kudos

Plus button to start new design

by Collaborator on ‎08-19-2015 03:48 PM

Instead of havin to click file and then selecting new design, it would be nice if there were a + next to your currently opened designs. Similar to opening in a new tab in a web browser. Clicking on the plus would start a new design file. 

Great idea! We are working on a bunch of new UI designs, and you'll see this as a part of that release later in 2016. 

12 Kudos

Your program crashes quite a bit. I need to constantly save by hand to prevent any file loss. You NEED to give the users an option to autosave as often as needed and at minumum 5 minutes. 15 minutes is just Cruel. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change this

Autosave will be no longer be in the software as of the Nov release.

The only save will be via the save icon or Ctrl + S.

A backup file will still be saved during a crash.

34 Kudos

For move and rotate if possible also scale

Otherwise that feature is pretty pointless and dumb - dumb because it only functions as a marker but when editing the feature

does not tell you how far you have rotated or moved so you as a user can guess what you did 3 weeks ago.

The fact is the features remember that because in the timeline when you move forward and back the values selected

are applied by the feature. so why not expose that inside the UI instead of giving the user always empy value fields?!

Makes sense doesnt it?!

if I rotate an object I do not want to be forced to later measure the degree I rotated with.

so when I entere the rotation value

I think the feature should remember this and next time I edit it should still show it

Blender Rhino or Alias can do it!

Hi all,

This is well in development now - the plan is to release this functionality in January :)

The improvements necessitated some changes to the design of the Move command. It would be great to get some early feedback on this - if anyone is interested & available to take a look at what we're working on, please drop me a PM!

Thanks,

Jake

10 Kudos

Spiral Option in Scallop Strategy

by Advocate michaelmoe on ‎11-05-2015 02:09 AM

I would like to see a spiral option added to the Scallop strategy. I know that the initial though is, "Isn't that the same as Morphed Spiral?". To that, the answer is no. Morphed Spiral has the occasionally fatal flaw of not stepping over at a constant distance, or in other words, morphing. In some cases, that's great and it's the strategy to go with, but in others, it's less ideal than having a constant stepover distance such as that produced by Scallop.

If a spiral option were available in the Scallop toolpath strategy, the stepovers would remain constant as it does normally in Scallop, but with a spiral pattern to the toolpath, there are many applications where a continuous motion would produce a superior finish to the current model, which is to produce links between passes. Those links can in some cases be a visible line, like a witness line. If the pattern for Scallop were a continuous spiral, either conventional or climb milling in direction, these lines would not be produced and a higher quality finish would result. 

Laurens is correct.  

This is something that is beeing sovled. 

It will be based off of a new morph toolpath that can mantain a constant step-over.

12 Kudos

Initial setup / background profiling

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎11-03-2015 03:42 PM

Just a brief synthesis from the discussion here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/learning-fusion-is-like-riding-a-bike-backwar...

When a new user starts F360 for the first time, there should be a very short (read: ~1-3 question) survey to see where they're coming from and based on that (and the user's observed history), they would be presented with a particular set of defaults and documentation / tutorials. 

Someone completely new to CAD would get the Fusion default hotkeys and settings, someone coming from SW the SW(ish) keys and docs guiding them through the transition from that to the app, and so on.

This is something we're working on and will start to deliver an initial experience in the next couple of updates. 

18 Kudos
So I'm told that for this last release, AD addressed a whopping 40% of their CER buckets.

I'm not great at math, but by my county that leaves something in the neighborhood of 60% of known crashing bugs still there.

So my suggestion is simple.

Freeze all new development.
Give all developers access to the CER database.
Fix every crashing bug in there.

Every patch in its own branch and integration test to death as they're merged into master.

Once done, treat every CER report like a loose bolt on a Falcon 9.

I know it's a lot and seems insurmountable but I'd bet it could be done in under a month with all resources focused on it.

That's what «serious about stability» and «empathizing with the users» means.

All - I'm going to mark this thread as "Accepted" because while we are not actually freezing all future development, we are putting in place a process and prioritization focus on improving our stability, quality and performance.  This also means that we will continue heavy internal testing before releases, along with fixing reported bugs, improving usability issues, etc. not only with each major update, but between, and as quickly as we can get them out.

10 Kudos

the title says it all.

-jamie

23 Kudos

Stock Comparison for CAM

by Contributor abender33 on ‎09-30-2015 12:28 PM

It would be extremely useful for a stock comparison mode, (which exists in HSMWorks). 

In stock comparison mode, the stock would be colored according to the amount of material left in relation to the model. The stock will be colored gray where the stock and model coincide. Red indicates that stock has been removed from the model which for instance happens when you are using negative stock to leave.

This is something we are working on getting over from HSMWorks to Fusion 360.

The current hang up is stability issues.

14 Kudos

Shared File Visibility

by Collaborator paul on ‎10-09-2015 04:39 PM

I often share public links to my files when I need help.  I also often forget to turn off sharing becasue I forget.  At the very least there should be an obvious graphical indication that the file is shared on the files icon in data panel.  That is the idea I am proposing.  For consideration though, it might also be nice to allow us to share for a predetermined duration when we're actually turning the share on.

18 Kudos

I saw this on the FB page https://www.facebook.com/events/1076590405693694/

I do get that you're trying to recruit SW users, but this still struck a sour note for me.

F360 should (and easily could) replace SW for most users if it were reliable and just a bit more polished.

It's much more usable, and so very nearly a better product. It's been so close for so long and I have complete confidence and no doubt that all it would take is the right focus and push to get it there.

My suggestions to get there: 

(A-X) Zero tolerance for crashing / data loss bugs. 

It doesn't matter how great and usable the product is, if I can't run it [OS X 10.11], or if the thing feels buggy, crashes, or otherwise gets in the way of being productive, people will hate it.

There are no minor crashes. Every crash report should be looked at as a show-stopper and no new development should take place until the cause is diagnosed and it's fixed.

As soon as that's done, roll out a hotfix so the users don't hear things like «that thing that's wasting your time is fixed in the next release [that's coming out in order of months]»

I get that that's hard and that will mean you have to stop moving forward entirely for a little bit - but I don't care how amazing and cool the next feature you're building is, even your biggest fans will be annoyed by crashes, and most sensible people will just silently stop using the product if it doesn't work reliably.

It doesn't matter how amazing the turbocharger you're building is if the car is on blocks and undrivable.

(Y) Guide yourselves

This Ideastation / voting thing is cute and may give some users warm-fuzzies, but to me it just screams lack of direction.

Know where you're heading and have a compass. 

Taking suggestions from users is definitely a good thing, and I'm not suggesting that you stop it, but that should be more like measuring the wind than blowing you around.

With all due respect, this «10 vote» thing is just silly. Some things have zero votes but are huge no-brainers, and others have many votes but they're obviously extremely nontrivial to implement and probably not going to give much bang for the buck.

There are way too many unfinished / «90% of the way to amazing» things in the product. Find those, triage, and one-by-one take them to 100%.

Finally

(Z) Don't be defensive and make no excuses

Yes - it's a complicated thing with lots of moving parts. Yes lots of people are working hard on it and have been for years and years.

I know that it can feel like someone is saying your baby is ugly if they complain about the product, but the thing is that here you can actually fix that.

Even if it feels mean or hurtful, take anything people say about the product and think «maybe this person is a d-head, but I can't do anything about that. What can I learn from what they're saying and how can I improve the things that are within my power to change?». 

I can't count the number of times when I've said something is broken and then been told that it's just me or that I'm being unreasonable. There seems to be a general culture of that around the product.

It's not healthy, makes people feel like they're being brushed aside, and doesn't move the ball forward.

You can't control what other people do or how they react to the team or the product, but you can use whatever they say to improve both.

Do that.

Don't let people push you around, but if lots of people are saying something like «the product is unstable», don't come back with «it's not that bad» - think about why they're saying that, find the underlying issue(s) and fix them.

This product has been so close to game changingly amazing for so long, and so many people have worked so hard on it. Don't waste their (/your) time and effort.

Crush it.

Scott et al, I appreciate the suggestions and conversation in the thread; this kind of passion is what I love about the Fusion community.  The sentiment of your ideas are heard loud and clear by the team and something we're always keeping in mind as we balance new features against stability, performance, etc.  With that said, you'll be seeing a blog post from the team in the next week that's related to this discussion and think you'll like the nature of our approach.

66 Kudos

It would be great to have the abilty to create a new name for Parameters when placing a new Sketch Dimension. At the moment Fusion 360 records them as d1, d2, d3 etc. which is fine, but a lot of the time it makes things easier to have names, i.e. Length, Width, Height.

In Inventor you can name the Parameter, whilst creating and placing the sketch dimension, which saves a lot of time downstream. To do this you would type 'Length = 100' etc. Do this in Fusion 360, and it doesn't work.

4 Kudos

Secure transfer of diagnostics files

by Collaborator lukepighetti on ‎03-15-2015 01:01 PM - last edited on ‎03-15-2015 01:02 PM |

I was asked to post my diagnostics files today and realized that from it I was able to determine:

• Unique user ID
  • First name
  • Last name
  • Email address
  • Country
  • Language
  • Full name registered to my computer
  • A list of every Autodesk product I've ever used

I am requesting that there is a secure transfer of diagnostics files, be it through email or some other means.

19 Kudos

Ask for name on new body creation

by Advocate odolyte on ‎03-29-2015 07:22 AM

Cheap but useful : each time we create a new body with a command > ask for a name pre-filled with "body xx". It saves time when you want to keep things organized.

125 Kudos

I just assumed that this would be a feature, yet I am unable to bring in a dwg file.

CarlM89

Thank you for your idea.  I am accepting your request for the ability to import a dxf.  We are targeting January for the completion of this feature.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

9 Kudos

Detailed progress bar

by Advocate gabriele on ‎11-19-2014 11:38 AM

Hi,

when I save my Fusion360 project into the Autodesk Cloud I don't see a progress bar. It appears only when I save an external file.

Because we can work with files bigger than 50-100MB it would be nice to have a progress bar showing the percent data received and how the internet loading is running:

Example:

68% complete - 54.048 bytes uploaded of 64.000 - current speed 1,25 Mb sec.

Sometime the colored wheel turns for a long time and I don't understand if the program is loading, is crashed, is waiting, my internet connection is slow.

For Cloud based operations this is crucial. I don't like to work in blind mode.

regards

Agreed, we need to provide better feedback of data activities.

Would showing the upload progess control at the bottom of the data panel for all versions (instead of just the first upload) be a good solution?

Thanks,

Bankim

116 Kudos

Feeds and Speeds Calculator

by Advocate on ‎10-29-2014 10:26 AM

The CAM Feature would be a totally one stop feature if it had a feeds and speeds calculator.  Currently I use GWizard from CNCCookbook.  You can enter in the depth of cut, tool engagement, material, tool information, and how aggressive you want to be in the material removal and it will calculate a feedrate and spindle speed for your cut.  I have found that the GWizard feeds and speeds calculator is very accurate and keeps me from burning up or breaking my tools.  The calculations are not complex and one could easily integrate a feeds and speeds calculator into the CAM within Fusion 360 that could automatically set (with manual override of course) what the feed rate and spindle speed should be.

Having this feature within the CAM would make Fusion 360 CAM a killer program.  I wouldn't need to use any other program to get to gcode from a part drawing.

This is something we are activly working on.

4 Kudos

include OBJ as export option

by Mentor on ‎11-07-2014 08:10 AM

That Fusion still has not OBJ export is beyond my understanding - it is so basic.

The build-in render engine is nice for quick images wihtout high expectation but pales in comparision to what a pro needs when you have to do a real product rendering and design your shot.

For that Fusion seriously has to offer an OBJ export and not STl by part or old school DXF via the A360 web.

Currently you force us to use a different application to generate the OBJ mesh like MOI or Rhino.

So please include OBJ in the ecport menu or also add to the STL option when in context menu

Hi Guys,

We do allow OBJ export of mesh bodies currently - check out this video to see some details on how. 

https://youtu.be/Dxjmh8CsI6o 

I will pass along the request for a consolidated export dropdown to make these export workflows more clear.

Best,

Timera

202 Kudos

Locally Store All Files

by Collaborator Josh.nelson on ‎12-07-2016 10:27 AM - last edited on ‎12-07-2016 10:34 AM |

In light of today's events (see post here), I believe it would be beneficial to allow users to locally store all Fusion files and data.  The data can still be backed up to the server, but is locally stored first.  This would prevent server outages from becoming catastrophic events for businesses, schools, and individuals.  If users did not want to locally store files (due to disk space or other reasons), they could elect not to in Fusion's preferences.  Or perhaps this could be a setting for each folder or project.

Manually, individually backing up files (a current Fusion capability) is not a reasonable solution to this problem.  Not only is it time-consuming and difficult to manage well, it does not currently work for designs that have XREFs.

I personally have no problem using the cloud for storage and computing (such as simulations).  There are some great things that Fusion allows because of this capability.  The lack of local storage as a backup, however, is an issue for me.

We are working on this with multiple teams already. Prabakar already laid out the plan in his post so I'll link to that - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/this-is-what-we-re-doing-about-these-outages/...

Giving you access to your data regardless of service issues is a top priority, so rest assured that the projects we're working on will make it happen. It may be not in exact solution some of you are looking for, but so many of you chiming and sharing ideas, we know the crux of the problem and are working on it.

Thanks,

Bankim

15 Kudos

Having the ability to send a customer a 3D preview of a model via link is great. However a lot of the work we produce contains graphics. 

We would benefit greatly from being able to see the decals inserted into the model in the live shared link. Please add this feature to make the live link even more useful!

This is an issue we're working on fixing. We'll keep you posted on when this is coming. 

19 Kudos

Detailing of a Drawing with unlimmited pages

by Explorer elwood165 on ‎11-26-2016 12:38 AM

Make it so a designer has unlimited pages for the Detailing off a drawing.

Good news - This feature is under development with the teams right now!

17 Kudos

Fusion 360 in Authenticated Proxy Environments

by Advocate on ‎03-23-2016 01:07 PM

Please please please, find a way to allow a user to run Fusion 360 in an authenticated proxy environment at work/school, but also in a non-proxy environment at home, WITHOUT having to create an environment variable that has to be changed each time they change location.

This is very clumsy at moment, and totally unacceptable for this type of customer. Having to jump through hoops to use the product will drive potential Fusion users to other products that are easier to install/configure.

We're actively working on this. We should have support for proxy environments in the next couple of months. 

20 Kudos

Convert lines, arcs and circles to spline

by Enthusiast carlos_rego on ‎05-08-2015 02:34 AM

Hi,

It would be great to be able to convert a strait line, an arc or a even a circle into a spline to perform more complex editing.

This feature would allow me (as an example) to start drawing a precise circular shape in 2D in an orthographic view and, after converting to a spline, turn that curve more tridimensional or organic in other views to use it as part of a wire to build a surface. Currently in Fusion, I need to draw a spline on top of a previously created arc or line which leads to multiple and repetitive operations that slowdown workflow.

I'm used to do that all the time with other nurbs modelers.

Best regards,

Carlos

5 Kudos

let users delete empty groups

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎02-22-2015 11:01 AM

I see where this is coming from (it was part of the design at some point in the timeline but no longer).. if it's not there any more, drop (hide) it automatically unless the user scrolls back in the timeline.

Preemptively - I understand why you can't delete the data structure because bad things will happen to the things in the past that depend on it.. but users don't need to be aware of a kludge.

35 Kudos

Match T-Spline Vertex

by Participant ab on ‎02-19-2015 12:19 AM

A super essential feature is missing from Fusion360!

It seems like there´s no precise way to move a T-spline vertex in reference to other geometry (Sketch,Work Geometry etc.):

Match Edge only works on edges.

Flatten only works on more than one Vertex.

Edit Form with Object snap doesn't snap to Sketch or Work Geometry, neither does Pull Command.

Align moves the entire body, Move is also not an option.

Suggestion for new Match T-Spline Vertex ability:

I guess that this function could be integrated in the original Match feature.

Preferable would offcourse be if the new Match Vertex, had an optional History/Parametry option, so if the the Sketch or Work Geometry later on was modified, the T-Spline vertex would follow.

5 Kudos

Hi,

I think it would be great if a previously hidden sketch folder would be turned visible when editing a sketch inside this folder.

Currently this is the situation:

To edit a sketch you have to explicitly activate the edit mode via the context menu or a double click (or multiple double clicks if the GUI decides to ignore you for some reason) - so setting the folder visible should be an implicit consequence of this action. After the sketching is stopped the folder could be set invisible again.

OR: Editing a sketch inside a hidden folder could set this particular sketch visible, overriding the invisibility of the folder temporarily.

This way no other sketches would show up and confuse you.

6 Kudos

When you currently draw a horizontal or vertical line in sketch, if it happens to be coincident to another vertical or horizontal line, F360 will automatically insert a perpendicular constraint.

This makes sense if the existing line is not horizontal or vertical, but I think it's a big assumption that the vertical line I'm drawing should be perpendicular to the one that exists. I would think it should gain a horizontal/vertical constraint instead.

Horizontal and vertical lines should be treated as special when they are drawn.

I hope that makes sense - and feel free to offer a reason why the existing behavior is better - but I'm always deleting perpendicular constraints and replacing them.

J.

4 Kudos

Improve work flow Variable Fillet.

by Mentor on ‎01-01-2015 09:05 AM

When adding points for variable fillet the position value is the default (highlighted) option. It would be more efficient if the radius value was the default as the position is not something you'd change very often.

Mark

Hi HughesTooling,

Many thanks for posting this one; I think you're right, switching to the radius value first does seem more sensible. I've logged this with our development team (issue number FUS-15992, for reference) and we'll see if we're able to make this change.

Thanks!

Jake

16 Kudos

I write this with a spinning wheel of death in the background.

When Fusion hangs and lags for what seems to be an indefinite period of time, and you find yourself staring at the unfeeling spinning wheel of death and knowing there is no way to take back control other than a force quit. Instead of potentially wrecking your hard work for the gamble it was saved, what about a "force quit process" using the "Command . (period) keys"? to stop the last command and regain control? 

This would be very helpful and much appreciated.

...and now to force quit Fusion and hope that the work was saved.  

We are currently working on this with the ESC key so that you can kill process that is taking too long or crashing. Right now, we're working on making it work for Compute All, fillets, and some other modeling related solves. We still need to investigate the work for sketch solves since Fusion has different solvers for different workspaces/environments. We'll keep you posted on our progress. 

11 Kudos

better in depth user manual

by Mentor on ‎10-26-2014 06:43 PM

feel the manual area of Fusion is a pretty weak point and needs some improvement.

sometimes I have a somewhat idea how something can work but still guess

and that often leads to frustration and wasted time.

fortunately I am in academia

a commercial person has much less time and will rather not pursure the study 

Thanks Claas for your idea. We are actively working on providing a more in-depth learning experience that walks a user through the various workspaces and get them the training they need to go from beginners to experts. 

Provided below are 3 links. Here are the instructions of what to do with them: 

1. Click on Dataset to download the zip file of all the sample files associated with each Module. Upload them in Fusion 360.

Dataset

2. Begin the training by going through each module in ascending order (01, 02, 03, etc). You can view them in the browser or download them locally. 

PDF Modules

01 Introduction

02 Sketch

03 Sculpting

04 Model

05 Manage

06 Assemble

07 Render

08 Drawing

09 CAM

3. We also have a YouTube playlist of videos associated with each module. They should complement the modules as you go through the training. 

Video Playlist

This project is still in beta phase (not finished), so feel free to give us feedback on it. We'll continue to refine the experience and make it more streamlined, as well as expanding the level of expertise. 

33 Kudos

Threaded holes

by Advocate jkelindberg January |

How about adding the option to add threads to the hole tool? As it is now, if you want a threaded hole you have first to create the hole and then add thread.

7 Kudos

SECTION AND VIEWS IN DRAWING DETAIL

by Participant flaviocolnago on ‎12-14-2016 11:41 PM

It would be usefull to have the possibility to add some views and sections to drawing details.

The workflow shoud be:

1 - select a detail to create a view

2 - with the section tool ad a section based on the detail

3 - with the projected view tool select the detail to add some views to it

thanks

21 Kudos

Backup, undelete, recovery

by Advocate mfeathers on ‎01-20-2016 08:05 AM

I've been an advocate for the cloud environment but...

The other day one of my colleagues moved some folders using the web interface. Once it informed him they were moved, he walked over to my workstation to inform me of the changes. I started browsing the new location in Fusion and the files started disappearing before my eyes before the whole folder was gone. All said, I'm now missing what I believe is 40-50 files. We've got a call in with support but, now starting on day 3 these files are still missing.

Services like Dropbox have a way to go in and undelete files/undo changes. This would be really freakin handy. It would also be nice if there was a way to go in and quickly select entire projects or all projects and create an archive one could save locally. Lastly it should be a lot easier to, in events like this, get a backup from your end.

What happend in this case should not have happened and we are working to make sure that it never does.

A "Recycle bin" like concept is very useful for recovering data that might have been accidentally deleted. We are working on solution for this.

Thanks,

Bankim

11 Kudos

Borrow Inventor's .stl to solid body plugin

by Explorer DeanmodPC on ‎02-06-2016 01:43 AM
If you could do that I'd completely switch over from Inventor, 100%. That feature and legacy assemblies are the only reason I still use the program at all.

Plus it'd kind of help serve as a conversion between those two types of objects in fusion. It's amazingly helpful just to get loops and dimensions from geometry using this tool as well.
5 Kudos

add multiple passed to new engraving .

by Advocate tony978 on ‎11-15-2015 05:05 PM

can you add multiple passes to the new engraving op . taking a full cut will brake the cutting tool in some materials. 

thank you  

This is allready on the list.

Along with support for support for additional tool types.

7 Kudos

cam cut mesh models

by Advocate tony978 on ‎09-20-2015 06:18 PM

I know the cam side will curently only cut solids but it would be nice if it would cut mesh models or come up with a better way to tyexture a surface besides moving faces / verts . I wan to beable to make a model in fuson and have an organic texture on it . 

I don't want to have to make a model in fusion then export it to texture it and then use another cam software .

just a thought . 

We are planning on adding support for mesh bodies in a mesh envoirnment.

8 Kudos

Probe in simulation

by Collaborator DWhiteley on ‎09-29-2015 08:30 AM

Unless I can't see the functionality, please add the ability to probe the simulation model.

Dave

Envisage Uk Ltd

Its coming in the next couple of updates.

Thanks,

Bankim

24 Kudos

WIth todays server outage and the apparent frustration of your customers and no useful offline solution on the horizon I find it would be very, very good to have some server status in fusion, perhaps pushed by a dedicated service and not through the A360 pipelines. As it is now, I spent a good hour trying different ways to get online, looked on the forum and after a while a thread appeared with the information. 

Also, you need to have much more redundancy than this if you expect serious users to jump aboard. I love fusion, but when these things hit, SolidWorks looks mighty tempting and the price point isn't huge compared to F360 Ultimate. I've lost this days work now and I'm figuring I'm not alone in this frustration. Would be a shame to see Saunders or other big proponents of Fusion leave due to your cloud not being up to standards.

Yes, we are working on this, but don't have an exact date on when the project will be done. This is a high priority and will keep you guys posted./ 

19 Kudos

Change Dimension Landing Line in Drawing

by Collaborator Josh.nelson on ‎11-29-2016 09:02 AM

It would be great to change the direction of the dimension landing line (image below for definitions).

Fusion allows one to change the direction of the leader line, but the landing line seems pre-determined.  It is often placed in a direction that I would consider unhelpful or wrong.

This idea was created from this post

2 Kudos

If you set the home position to 2.00", that will work until you have a tool change for a longer tool like a boring bar. If you set it to 10", all tool changes are OK, but there is lots of wasted rapid travel time for short tools or you run out of Z travel for long tools.

This is a great suggestion and allready a ticket in our current backlog.

24 Kudos

Support for Chamfer with partoff operation

by Advisor Lonnie.Cady on ‎01-12-2016 04:53 AM

Add the ability to chamfer with tthe partoff tool.  If a chamfer exist use it or allow user to set the chamfer amount.  Similar to how it is done in milling where you can specify a chamfer or follow one already modeled.

14 Kudos

Push Changes from Assemblies to Linked Parts

by Enthusiast nick.prsha on ‎10-14-2015 10:45 AM

Now that you can link files into an assembly it would be nice if you could push changes back to original file.

Thank you for your idea - this is getting accepted, however it is a part of a big project.  In place edit is part of a group of distributed design projects that we are working on to get done next year.  Expect to see a solution late 2016.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

2 Kudos

It would be nice if you select a parameter name, it would highlight and zoom to the appropriate geometry in the model. Currently, you have to look for it or take a guess as to where it might be.

Also, it would be nice if the parameters dialog was modeless, allowing you to change parameters while still being able to manipulate the model. If live editing puts too much of a strain on the processing, then a simple update buttom would suffice.

while we likely won't implement your specific requests, we are looking at improvements to the parameters experience.

Improvements like a favorite parameters folder in the browser, auto completing parameter names within input fields, these are currently in our backlog.

3 Kudos

Yes, we should do this. Will let the team know to get this implmented. 

15 Kudos

Nurbs CV curves / 3d curves

by Advocate harvid22 on ‎10-08-2015 06:28 AM - last edited on ‎11-10-2015 01:49 PM |

I am trying to learn Fusion 360, but I am really missing the nurbs cv curves that I'm used to from other programs,  for me it's a lot faster to use and easier to manipulate  afterwards.
I saw this video where it is demonstrated the curve workflow in Alias Speedform, when can we expect to have that in Fusion 360 ? :-)

Alias Speedform Design with Curve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oaf93FG3-I

This should be in Fusion in the early half of this year. 

39 Kudos

CAM Simulation settings should remember settings

by Community Manager on ‎08-25-2015 08:23 AM - last edited on ‎08-25-2015 08:23 AM |

The Cam simulation command has several options for toolpath and stock. These options are not remembered when you run simulation multiple times. They should be.

entered by @schneik on behalf of @macnewbie from this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/computer-aided-machining-cam/saving-default-simulation-settings/m-p/57...

11 Kudos

I've customized my toolbar and I like the shortcuts that are/were there.

1) If I either uninstall/reinstall the software, I lose my customizations.

2) If I use F360 on another computer, my customizations are not there.

The solution would be to make toolbar customizations follow the user's account instead of only being stored locally.

It is already supposed to work this way. I'll take a look to see if there is a bug in this area.

Thanks,

Bankim

5 Kudos

Export in FBX file format

by Explorer roger.fylling on ‎02-07-2016 07:28 PM

Please let us export in FBX file format or this product is rendered useless for anyone trying to use the models for games development for example. The only other alternative is to nag the people over at "Autodesk FBX Converter" to make their product import IGS, IGES, SAT, SMT, STP, or STEP files. As it is, their product does not, making your product useless in game development.

Hi @roger.fylling

There is a more robust FBX export coming in the March release.

Colin

28 Kudos

Lock file or mark as Read Only

by Advocate maruska on ‎08-09-2016 12:20 PM

The project I'm working on includes a library of parts. The parts are known quantities and so once they are modeled, they should never change. I would like a way to lock my Fusion files so they can be opened and looked at, and inserted into other files, but are essentially read-only and can't be modified until unlocked.

We are working on the ability to create libraries in your hubs so that common content can be shared and reused easily. The ability to do this hinges on another project we are working on to allow cross project distributed designs.

Thanks

Bankim

17 Kudos

Wouldn't it be perfect if Fusion zoomed in to the sketch after you start the "edit sketch command"? or at least keep the current zoom. This instead of zooming in on some other part of your design then the sketch you want to work on, because this is what it does now.

I inserted a screencast (what a great tool!) with the current behaviour.

12 Kudos

Calculator in measure tool

by Contributor tom_eriksson on ‎05-11-2015 10:09 AM

Many times i switch between MAC calculator and use the number i get from the measure tool.

Can Fusion have a calculator in the mesure tool instead.

9 Kudos

I am tired of slow CAD software. SolidEdge is slow. SolidWorks is slow. Inventor is slow. Onshape is slow. Fushion 360 is extra slow. Why can I play a game with millions of polygons rendered, shaded, and physics simulated all at once but my cad program grinds to a halt when I try to draw a circle. 

Basically I'm saying I won't accept any excuses for speed. Not when I can shoot imaginary projectiles through imaginary cloth and see imaginary rips, tears and fluttering debris at 60fps and then go to fusion 360 and can't drill ten holes without it thinking real hard about it. I know all the reasons why it's slower. I'm just saying that while they may be true reasons, they aren't good reasons. They can all be worked around.

When I can drill three thousand filleted holes wrapped on a curved surface in under thirty seconds the software will be fast enough. Honestly, if this software could do this right now I would toss solidworks in the bin, I would campaign at companies I don't even work for for them to switch. I would shave my head and become a fusion 360 monk, spreading the good news throughout engineering offices everywhere.