How do I get my idea in Fusion 360?

Implemented

find in browser

cekuhnen
New Idea
5 Kudos

Use Parameters in Simulate Workspace

by Collaborator Josh.nelson on a week ago - last edited a week ago |

The ability to use parameters in Fusion 360 is a boon to us all. As others have, I would like to request parameter enhancements.  Currently one cannot use parameters in the simulation environment.  I would like to be able to do so.  I was working on a model yesterday that has a number of forces distributed along its length; it was frustrating to have to enter the values and do the math in another program and then transfer all of the values to Fusion.

Please add the ability to use parameters in the simulation environment!

9 Kudos

Long time Inventor user, reccently started messing around with Fusion to try and get ahead of the "curve", assuming that its the future of CAD design.

One thing that frustrates me with Autodesk products, and I say this without hyperbole, is that they are hands-down the worst CAD platforms when it comes to any sort of robust tolerance analysis, either natively or through 3rd party add-ins, amongst the major CAD platforms. With the other platforms I can get:

NX - Technomatix/VSA (Seimens), 3DCS (3rd party from Dimensional Control Systems)

Catia - Cetol 6-sigma (3rd party from Sigmetrix), 3DCS

Solidworks - Cetol, 3DCS

Creo - Cetol, 3DCS

which can stochastically analyze designs in 3 dimensions. Some of these, such as VSA and 3DCS, and also even link with FEA data to provide even more robust design outputs, allowing one to analyze designs as functions of both tolerance and physical effects such as deformation ,thermal expansion, etc.

I think its great that Autodesk has an eye on modeling machining processes, performing FEA, and improving visual qualtiy of 3D models, but lets not put the cart before the horse - without tolerance analysis, none of these things really matter because you can't verify that you can actually build them in the real world. Even if you could build them, how do you intelligently design for cost optimization without tolerance analysis? You can't.

So frustrated by this lack of capability, I contacted 3DCS about making us ("Us" being a major player in the healthcare industry and a fortune 500 company) an add-in for Inventor of thier analysis software (they currently make it for everyone BUT Inventor), and they were open to the idea, but in the end we couldn't purchase enough seats to make it fiscally viable for them (we currently use their stand-alone, CAD neutral platform). My point is, there are companies willing to take on this challenge, they just need to know its worth their time and development costs.

So I implore the good folks at Autodesk - stop worrying about making things look pretty on a screen. Start worrying about making things work in the real world, and incorporate, or partner up with someone to provide, 3D tolerance analysis capabilities in your software.

31 Kudos

Hey Guys,

I work as an application engineer . Till now I have been working with 3 axis with Fusion 360 for benchmark which has been really successful. And now our company has started to focus for Fusion 360 ultimate . And during the training I noticed that the Ultimate software doesn't have simulation with the entire machine like HSMworks , SolidCAM as referred to the image below.

Yes the entire machine has to simulate . Especially this will be useful to visualize 4th and 5th axis strategies in the software . Cause the simulation seen in Ultimate especially the 4th axis wrapping strategie's simulation are quite misguiding . Couldn't figure out whether the indexer is rotating or the tool is revolving around the component. Kindly try to bring this in Fusion 360 Ultimate as early as possible . Looking forward for a great update for this feature.

machineSim.jpg 

Marking this as Future consideration to be transparent about how soon we will address this.  

We do need to do this, however, it isn't simply pulling in what we have in HSMWorks.

As a note, the attached Screenshot is SolidCAM not HSMWorks.

1 Kudo
How about introducing Injection & Compression mould simulation features from Moldflow over to Fusion 360 - Induction Heating - Controlled Valve Gate Opening - Best Gate Location & MOULD DESIGN!! (Although not technically a simulation feature - haha)

I think this kind of update to the simulation workspace is very much the logical step forward and would further elevate Fusion 360 in what it can do.

Just a quick shout out to the Fusion 360 team, I think you're all doing a great job. Fusion 360 really is getting better and better.

THANKS
15 Kudos

Than you for your idea. Yes, it "should", but making that happen is a long way's out because the math + code to make this happen is a huge undertaking. We have higher priority projects we are working on at this time. 

3 Kudos

Allow the abbreviation of lbf for lbforce, as well as lbf in and lbf ft for moments.

This would follow Inventor and other simulation abbreviations.

9 Kudos

There are only single option for animation in Animation tool Bar "Transforms Component"

This tool only transforms component as treating there is no relation between components as we have already given in Model Environment of Assembly.

What about those joint we have given in Model Environment.  There should be an animation tool in animation tool bar which can provide component motion as per given in Model Environment of Fusion 360. We can read a motion of joint in Model Environment only.

These Joint relation should be maintained in Animation Environment also. So that previously Known Relation of joint can also be animated in Animation Environment of Fusion 360...

7 Kudos

Car (Body) should move along a path in Animation tool Bar like turning of a body. There are so many clipping which is able to do this activity.

Can we add a single command or tool which will provide animation of a body along a path. Simultaneously can we provide a translation as well as  rotation of a body along a given path.

Car (Body) should move along a path in Animation tool Bar like turning of a body. There are so many clipping which is able to do this activity.

Can we add a single command or tool which will provide animation of a body along a path. Simultaneously can we provide a translation as well as  rotation of a body along a given path.

7 Kudos

There should be an option for importing and exporting a clip and any sound (Music). So that animation tool bar can be become a working environment..ddd.png

7 Kudos

To make Animation tool bar as actual working tool bar. There are few command or tool in animation toll bar 

For clipping there should be a splitting command and Start end time Every clip should move free up down and left right,

Transition option and Text should be there in Animation tool bar....

It should be a working area....

cam.JPGffff.png

6 Kudos

Hello!

When I designing a 3D printer I noticed fusion 360 have no joint/ motion belt/pulley...

large.png

I think it would be a good idea to integrate these motions.

Have a nice day.

4 Kudos
It would be really great if Fusion had a module for motion study. In which we can find out the velocities accelerations at required points in the mechanism.

I dont know if this is too much to ask but a multi body simulation module as a package would be ultimate .

Thank you fusion team
3 Kudos

It would also be useful if PLA and ABS and other filaments used in FDM printing were available in materials. As well as others from Shapeways, etc.. useful for simulation

6 Kudos

There is a big market about fluid mechanics and electromechanical stuff, using design functions, and boosting "kind of" routing generator/part converter/integrator as special environment as is done in CAE/FEA module, this brings the professional market to F360 usage, I am a Inventor, ACAD MEP and Plant 3D user, and "boosting" this specs into F360 design filosophy, will atract mechanical/process/plant designers from the conceptuelization of component/part design, to functional enginering parameters scenario, this being the real productive goal.

In syntesis: "Routing options, ex. Electrical, Piping/Plumbing, and P&ID generation in it."

1 Kudo

I am working in a region where there are lots of valve companies and people repeatedly ask me for a flow analysis to be done in Fusion 360. Cause solutions like Simulation CFD are a very costly tool. 

So my kind request is to atleast bring some limited flow capabilities in Fusion 360. 

6 Kudos

39 Kudos

Many designs involve motors powering rotating components.  Why not have an option when assembling rotating joints to simply cause the joint rotate at a selectable speed.-- in essence a motorized joint.  I already model devices with motion links, then couple them (using more motion links) to a manually-rotated crank modeled near the edge of the screen.  This usefully animates the whole device in the model space, but is hand-cranked!   Almost everything to do this is already in the program, since joint animation is part of the preview in joint assembly. 

Thank you for your idea, the team is reviewing the requirements and will change the status once a decision is made.

Regards,

Mike Prom

12 Kudos

Realsitic springs

by Explorer jemiphg on ‎12-17-2016 11:25 AM

I see that coil feature can be a lot better , for example making the coils - compression or torsional - behave in a realistic way like in a suspension system , modeling a coil with variable pitch ... etc

Thanks for the idea - this is a future consideration project since we are currently focusing on higher priority work. We'll let you know once we get to this. 

23 Kudos

Save CAM Simulation as a Body

by Explorer jmcgee3GRY3 on ‎10-17-2016 07:10 AM

Being able to save CAM simulations as a body would:

• Allow users to quickly check dimensions of remaining stock and therefore tool path clearance, without modeling the fixture
    • This would be particularly useful for low production volume parts.
    • For example, the clearance of a workstop that protrudes .250 inches from the face of a vise jaw could be checked against the remaining stock after a 2D contour with tabs strategy has been used.
  • Create a quick way to model stock for multiple setup parts
    • Fixturing for the remaining operation(s) could be designed more efficiently.
  • Allow more accurate representations of the final part without extra modeling
    • Features such as fillets and chamfers would be generated based on tooling limitations, and would therefore be more accurate. This could lead to more accurate part drawings in assemblies and renderings.

Thanks for your idea! This is something we definitely want to provide, and is part of a bigger plan where we have derived assets for not just CAM but Simulation, 2D Drawings, etc. Ultimately we imagine a scenario where you have 1 model that contain derived parts for the different states in the manufacturing process. This is a big project and is still a ways out, so I'm changing this to future consideration. 

3 Kudos

New to F360, mostly find it an amazingly pleasant surprise compared to what I previously used (I-DEAS), but really miss a key functionality.

I-DEAS used a single-click of the middle mouse button to variously mean "OK", "done", "done with selection", etc. which saved a lot of the mousing around otherwise required to complete selections, exit a form, etc.

1 Kudo

Would be cool if we can do a draft analysis that studies all angles and applies a heat map to faces to show where there might be drag when ejecting out of the mould.

1 Kudo

In an event simulation, I would very much like to see the varying load from the magnitude curve being shown on the 2D chart somehow.

In other words, I want to see what the load is at any point throughout the time steps, perhaps with the option to find the min/max.

Dave Whiteley

Envisage UK Ltd

13 Kudos

Mechatronics

by Participant mario.saarik on ‎11-25-2016 01:50 AM

I originally wrote this idea for inventor, but as i have started doing more stuff with Fusion 360 and seeing the update frequency for Fusion 360 maybe would be done in fusion 360.  The idea is that Fusion 360 could have a tool or tools for testing out mechatronic concepts and automation.

I think that would be great for testing out systems virtually. It should have the ability to place actuators and sensors, then program them with arduino as in 123Circuits or have PLC Function Block window, where you have modules, inputs and outputs, so you could already start testing out programs and functions. 

39 Kudos

Center of Gravity, Center of Moments

by Contributor Mach-Buster on ‎06-12-2016 11:35 AM
Please add the ability to show the Center of Gravity and Moments of Inertal for an object and components. These basic values are critical for moving parts and designs!
10 Kudos

Extending Tables in Drawing Mode

by Advocate matth on ‎11-26-2016 11:53 AM

Extending the Drawing Environment by the Abstraction of the 'BOM' & 'Balloon' tools, to 'Table' & 'Key' with parameters and aggregates as table columns:

Keynotes-02

The above and below images are not mine and are just an example of the point to take. There can be any table, with a symbol key (here hexagon) bound to data context (entities on the page as rows, here a Door, Window etc) in the Table (here, Note Block).

A Table whose rows represent the collected items tagged beneath the arrow heads of the keys. Intuitively, the very act of building the table is the act of keying the context on the page, i.e. placing tags/balloons, or by scheduling the table's row context, (sim to Revit schedules).

History, Then & Now:

The Table & Balloon representations appear within many facets of many design documents, various standards (NCS, etc.) and CAD software, where each abstract use holds different meanings to the reader and presenter, usually dependant entirely on the design's context, for example as a Parts List, cut-list, legend & key, etc… In your case, a BOM (Parts List) is a WYSIWYG (What You Model Is What You Get) style of displaying a part list and balloons.

Consider abstracting BOM to Table where we can display multiple data-driven representations and visualizations in the form of Tables/Schedules. Where users can choose the source of the table, as a collection of items or nested-collections that are tagged or just on the page, each item in the tables collection inheriting base classes with similar properties, allowing for data abstraction such as running/complete totals, data grids, etc.

I think this gives the user the flexibility as to the level of detail the tables contain and who the audience is and what the message is, while still using CAD conventions that are standard and the 'norm'

Random thoughts on the implementation:

Spoiler

Row Types, such as instances/collections of Bodies, Body Features, Components, CAM Setups or operations, Sketches, etc. 

With each type, the user's ability to insert parameter fields and custom fields, into the table as columns represented by the keyed object's properties. This would make the Ballon Key interface a little sticky, with many entry points and arguments. This way you can have unique shapes and associate the keys directly to the Table. Most importantly, you can then have a complete custom table where the data is dynamic, where each row is a line item on the table, represented by a key placed in the drawing.

Regarding that Key Element Behaviors and Context:

Selecting the key allows you to edit the tables data context, pointing the table to certain parameters related to the table's collection and of course the item(s) beneath the arrow leg. Note, Abstract the arrow leg from the key symbol collection so that you may have multiple keys on many different tables, and you can have a key(s) with multiple legs. LeadersToo-3

scap_arrange_multileaders_01

So, the row's data context should be represented by the content beneath the arrow, perhaps the rows context could be of a type, collection (with aggregated properties, linear feet, total price) or an instance of an item itself. 

There should be obvious indicators that the values of the table are either 2-way or 1-way bound links to parameters (ReadWrite vs. ReadOnly Properties vs. Custom (Typed String)). It should be true that a user can edit a rows parameter (if 2-way), or a custom parameter(2-or-1 way), of a keyed data context. 

Examples of useful 2-way parameters: Name, Description, Time Line Color, any editable individual 's parameter.

Examples of useful 1-way parameters: CNC Setup Details, aggregated properties (Length, Cost, Qty, etc). A concatenated field perhaps:

Species & " " & Thk & " x " & Wid & " x " & Len
Sappy Cherry 3/4" x 4" x 34 1/2"

Parameters should have display properties:
Aggregated Length of collected items, for example Fractional Inches, Fractional Feet, Decimal Feet, Feet and Inches, cm, m, etc.

Parameters can be edited to represent other data abstractions, perhaps Math.

Summary:

Tables are built by tagging items in the drawing or by scheduling them on the sheet. You could specify an aggregate of the total linear feet (Length Property) of eased/profiled edges applied to the tagged entities. You could be able to specify every property you need to display. You could use this information to have sheets for Quoting, Assembly, even sheets for instructing a Mfg process. For home builders, it might be tagging some studs and plates and getting cut-lists, or a Trim company selecting rooms and getting lineal feet of trim. Or a manufacturer getting a one piece flow drawing capture of a design in animation, thru to completion.

The point is we can acknowledge that the use of a 'Keyed Table' is an illustrative technique designed to instruct/inform the truth about the context of the design, to various and specific audiences. As our audiences and the design context changes so do the visualizations of the design data. Certainly more than any specifically requested table structure to date. 

What I am asking for is this, specifically:

Abstract the way we create tables, allow us to schedule the design context in a table to fit the needs of our audience and let us do it dynamically and parametrically. 

Just some thoughts,

Matt Harrison | MSH

Please share, reply and upvote.

5 Kudos

Have you ever put a lot of work into defining loads, connections and constraints on a model for a static stress simulation and then wanted to do a modal analysis on it? You'll spend quite a bit of time redoing the same definitions again, because there is no option to copy loads and constraints.

So, my proposal is that if you select to duplicate a study, give the option to switch to another study type. Sure, not all types of loads and constraints are available in all study types but at least duplicate those which are relevant. Or alternatively, make it possible to copy/paste.

30 Kudos

Allow joints to constrain animations

by Advocate mark2t on ‎07-14-2016 12:53 PM

The ability to create motion studies is powerful, but not intuitive to use for creating and exploring complex motions that want to be documented in an animation. Animation right now seems to be geared to making exploded views and does not take advantage of the joints in an assembly. We need to combine these two in the Animation workspace; the constraints of motion provided by the joints, and the ease of setting positions and keyframes in animation. I don't want to have to guess at how many degrees I want a joint to move in relation to another joint that is also moving; I want to drag the parts and have them constrained by the joints to the point in time and position I want to get to, and then capture that in the keyframe. Dragging constrained parts would save alot of time setting up not only a motion study, but allowing it in the animation space would let you save it as video also. 

7 Kudos

Augmented Reality

by Explorer terbeest on ‎12-14-2016 04:19 PM

The topic of augmented reality can be a massive undertaking when considering the full breadth of merging virtual objects with real-world environments in real-time. 

While a full-featured augmented reality built into Fusion 360 would be surreal, I am suggesting a small subset of that capability. I've found myself taking photos of a physical environment for a soon-to-be integrated CNC machined object. I think it would be wonderful to create a 3D object and then showcase the object live with clients in the IoS or Android Fusion 360 app with the background being a live camera. I would love to be able to resize the object and rotate with the changing of the live video.

1 Kudo

Have an option in the Transient Results Plot (in Event Sim) to show/go to the max or min value on the plot.

Dave Whiteley

Envisage UK Ltd

9 Kudos

Allowing a pin-slot joint to follow a spline [and not just a linear straight line] is essential as currently there is no way to properly represent designs that use curved sliders which are A VERY COMMON MECHANISM [without resorting to turning on slow calculation intensive collisions].  Most of my designs have more than one of these and even the most hardcore workstations would struggle to handle these designs due to this issue.

An implementation of this type would have to discern the difference from a 2D and 3D spline in that a 2D spline could use a revolution based axial "pin" type of pivot, but a 3D spline would likely require a point 'ball' type of pivot since a coplanar reference would not exist to define the 'pins' axis [commonly perpendicular to the plain] and defining an arbitrary plane reference does not make much sense from a mechanical standpoint [unless defining a planar reference at each point in the spline].  Because I have not used any 3D slots in my designs and as a result have not heavily considered the full implications of such a thing, I cannot be certain if it would be better to not allow 3D splines or to allow them and change the pivot type to 'ball'.  My immediate notion would be to allow them so it isn't an issue down the road for those that would use it and since the implementation of this would just be one less restriction on the pivot axis.

In the 2D case it might also be handy to allow a point 'ball' type of pivot [instead of only an axial pivot] which, for certain designs, would reduce the number of additional joints to be defined.

4 Kudos

In order to optimize structural dimensions, we can already use parameters for dimensions.

It is necessary for that optimization process to be able to define a values matrix, for 1, 2 or 3 parameters, then automatically recalculate dimensions and structural simulation results.

The optimization process could although be automatic, but it is not a mandatory functionnality.

We need a results matrix, with optionnal graphic. An export of the results in whatever format would allow us to finish the report.

28 Kudos

Shape Generator in Fusion 360

by Enthusiast and.magro on ‎05-23-2016 04:46 AM

Fusion 360 is the next-generation tool for the next generation

I could not agree more. But Fusion also need next generation tools, like Shape Generator from Inventor.

With the flexibility of Fusion and the powerful of Shape Generator, Autodesk could really shine in a recent future ;)

Thanks

The Shape Optimization study type was added as a tech preview feature for Fusion 360 Ultimate on 11/9/2016. 

Please check out the documentation on how to use this study type. 

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-855F7BD1-E34B-4050-AD79-5A98F8F15BBB

8 Kudos

International material markings

by Explorer tuomas.kalanen on ‎11-09-2016 01:05 AM

Why there is material libaries only in American standards? Where is werkstoff, EN or DIN materials...

29 Kudos

Center of Gravity

by Explorer penci on ‎04-16-2016 03:12 AM

It would be great if Fusion 360 could output the model's COG.

3 Kudos

Would be nice to have some parallel computing options for "local" (that is, non-cloud based) simulation calculations.

31 Kudos

Hi guys,

I was wondering if for future releases you could add another testing feature for more automotive/aerodynamic forms where we could simulate a wind tunnel type scenario to see how smoothly our design travels through the air and adjust the design accordingly. This would be another super helpful feature for product refinement.

Thanks,

-Ben

18 Kudos

Add Optical Design and simulation

by Explorer n.fariapt on ‎07-10-2016 03:07 AM

Hi,

Fusion 360 is great to produce CAD but would be even greater if was possible to simulate non-imaging and imaging optical elements/systems (design of illumination systems, projector systems, LASER based systems etc). Is it something you would consider in implement in the near future?

Best Regards,

Nelson Faria

11 Kudos

Implement and expose user parameters for a generalized inverse kinematic scheme among joint trees, making it easy for the user to design robots and manipulate life-like figures. Such a scheme could also be used to derive and generate robot motion scripts, giving Fusion a new capability - generating and exporting (or even hosting) the motion rules for robots and figures that you have designed and built from within Fusion.

Thank your for your idea, this is getting archived due to the nature of the request and the amount of core feature work in our backlog that is ahead of this.

Regards,

Mike Prom

28 Kudos

CAM DEFAULT Simulation Settings

by Mentor on ‎04-07-2016 06:47 AM

Please give us the ability to set default parameters when performing CAM Simulation.

I find that often when I fire up Fusion CAM Simulation, I have to go through and set the Toolpath display, click for the Stock to be turned on. Now that I've learned how to change the graphics quality, I'm sure I'm going to have to make those settings each and every time as well.

Please let us choose and set the defaults.

14 Kudos

Center of Mass Highlighting

by Contributor benjaminkolligs on ‎08-13-2016 08:58 AM - last edited on ‎08-13-2016 09:04 AM |

My suggestion is simple: When clicking properties on a component in an assembly, there is a very helpful center of mass number. However, the number's themselves aren't always easy to discern, especially if the component isn't at the origin. So I suggest making an option (much like the XYZ Delta feature in "Measure".) that highlights and displays the center of mass so we can locate it visually. Maybe a big green dot, or like XYZ Delta, coordinate lines. 
Thanks, I hope you guys like it. 

5 Kudos

It would be excellent to have a prescribed rotational translation in addition to the prescribed linear translation.

In the axe head example, the axe travels in a linear fashion straight down. This is not true-to-life, though. Similarly, any motion of striking by an axe, hammer, or similar would likely have rotation instead of linear motion.

This translates to a more complicated result, but a more realistic one. Drop tests with rotation applied would show true bounce and tumble as well.

11 Kudos

Rigid Body Solver

by Contributor JRKuyper on ‎09-08-2016 10:24 AM - last edited on ‎09-08-2016 10:45 AM |

The normal design flow goes something like this:

1)  Concept the design

2)  Model / detail the design

3)  Find Static / Dynamic forces

4)  Run Stress calculations on parts or assemblies 

5)  Manufacture prototype parts

In Fusion 360, I can:

1) Concept in Modeling

2) Model in Modeling

3) Find Static / Dynamic forces in ______

4) Run Stress calculations in Simulation

5) Generate CNC code in CAM

There is a missing component in Fusion.  

If I am designing a rotating device, I should be able to determine the requirements for a motor.  Fusion should calculate inertia, and acceleration should be an input. Then the motor size could be determined (power, torque, speed). Or, the motor could be defined with a certain power / torque / speed (any of the two), and the actual acceleration would be calculated.

If we are designing a device to lift a load, we would need to know how much force is acting through the lifting members.  We would need to know how large to make the hydraulic cylinder (or pneumatic piston, or linear motor).  How much force is acting on the bearings?  Is the bearing big enough?  What about a counterbalance spring?

If we are designing a hopper, we might want to know how much force the walls will see when a load is dumped into the hopper.  How big do the shock absorbers need to be?  If the load is dumped on one side from 6 feet, and bounces to the other side, what will the load be?  I would want to import the resultant loads into Simulation to see if my structure will be strong enough.

I might want to design a cell phone case that can be dropped from 6 feet onto a hard surface.  What will the dynamic loads be?  Again, I would want import these loads into Simulation to see if the case would crack.

The possibilities are endless.  Just search the internet for "Rigid Body Solver" or [pick a major CAD system] & "motion simulation" to get some ideas.

This would probably be a new module, and I understand it could be a lot of work.  But there should be a number of algorithms readily available.  (Many video games use a stripped down version to simulate physics.)  And it would fill a hole in the current workflow.  I think the effort would be worth it.

Thanks!

5 Kudos

Now that there is a 4th/5th axis support, I would really like to see the simulation view have the option of having the tool remain fixed and the part turn around the A axis. This would be a little more realistic as the part will be turning on my 4th axis (A axis) and the tool is always in the Z axis. 

5 Kudos

Custom Braised or Insert based Tooling

by Advocate matth on ‎11-26-2016 08:20 AM

Custom braised or insert tooling are in widespread use by CNC shops around the country and the world.

For Example http://www.vexorcwt.com/ 

[I am in no way affiliated with or have used this vendor for tooling. I have just found them with a quick google search for an example]

It would be great to bring in custom tools represented by any geometry, preferably 3D models or 2D sketches, where a profile edge can be indicated as the cutting edge, the revolutions axis can be mentioned in the definition. The tool should have all of the heights parameterized as necessary to define and propagate NC code. 

As an important note to the reader, currently, we can get by with using any odd tool definition to be able to produce accurate and reliable NC code, all without true simulation, with no resemblance to the tool it actually intends to represent, where it's true definition is contained in the description and certainly not the thumbnail.

With Regards,

Matt Harrison | MSH

3 Kudos

After shape optimisation, the report exports... nothing ;)

The video is ok though.

Shape-optimization-report.jpg

4 Kudos

RBD/MBD Solver

by Enthusiast SlawsonEngineering on ‎12-06-2016 09:55 AM

It would be nice if the joints could be loaded into a RBD dynamics solver in order to determine joint loads, accelerations, etc.  I've been working with MBD for 7 years now, and if you guys could eventually have RBD, FEA, and MBD (multi-body dynamics) with component mode synthesis, that would be the end of all other CAD packages haha.

One side note, I'm sure you guys think of this and there are reasons it can't be, but if you could integrate model joints so that they could be read in as automatic connections in FEA, as well as joints in MBD/RBD in addition the the animation that would be awesome.  I see this in my day job WAY too much.  We end up creating the same joint over and over depending on what analysis your in.

9 Kudos

As most of my designing ends up as printed parts It would be handy to be able to set material to FDM style 3D printing material, maybe as a sub menu off materials so you pick ABS as main material but can then choose printing specs like .2mm layer height, 0.4mm nozzle diameter you would also need to set a layer direction. I am sure someone out there has done analysis of inter layer adhesion and other stress characteristics, maybe you could partner with one of the manufacturers like Polymaker for stats.

I only print FDM currently but there could also be materials for 

• Stereolithography(SLA)
  • Digital Light Processing(DLP)
  • Fused deposition modeling (FDM)
  • Selective Laser Sintering (SLS)
  • Selective laser melting (SLM)
  • Electronic Beam Melting (EBM)

Some are not ever going to be structural prints but a lot have that capability especially with new materials appearing all the time.

10 Kudos

Fusion 360 CFD

by Explorer BOGGAB on ‎08-26-2016 11:01 PM

Hello , I have been using Fusion 360 for a long time using it mostly as a CAD CAM tool for medical work. I also use the simulation tool you have added but I believe adding a fluid flow simulation module would prove to be an invaluable tool for designing vascular stents  . The simulation available in Fusion 360 is extremely useful to me as it is now , but I feel that if you add this tool it would add value to Fusion 360 , as flow simulation is required by many disciplines . It would also prove useful to those who simulate air flows around their 3d designs ( in order to see if their product is in any way aerodynamic ) .

8 Kudos

Load FEA / Simulation Results

by Contributor JRKuyper on ‎09-06-2016 02:45 PM

I run Fusion on two different computers; one is big and powerful, the other smaller and portable.  I can solve an FEA on the larger computer.  But when I open the file on the smaller computer, the results do not exist - I have to re-run the study.  This takes a lot longer on the smaller computer.  It seems silly to run the results again just because I am viewing the file in a different machine.  The results are uploaded to the A360 site.  It only makes since that when I load a file, any results should be loaded as well.

Thanks!

We released this functionality in Fusion 360 with our first release of Cloud Simulation in October 2016. Please give this another try and let me know if it is still not working as you would expect. 

8 Kudos

Magnetic parts and interactions

by Explorer gtatumm on ‎09-04-2016 06:42 PM
I would like to make parts and assemblies using purchasers neodymium magnet materials. It would be good if these magnetic materials could be selected, tested and simulated with interactions, such as applied angular forces. I believe SolidWorks may have this ability I was hoping that
something along those lines could be designed for a
Fusion 360. Thank you
5 Kudos

3D Sketching Tools

by Explorer jeff_moss on ‎10-22-2016 11:11 AM

Request you put 3-D Spline, 3-D Line, 3-D Constraints in FUSION 360. I am trying to create some unique, additive-fabrication part designs, and these tools make FUSION 360 a viable platform for use in their design. Until these are included, I am stuck in Inventor, and of course, that's not a 'cloud based' platform...

34 Kudos

Send feedback button for Fusion

by Advisor kb9ydn on ‎09-24-2015 12:45 PM

What I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like to see for Fusion is a "send feedback" button.  When you press this button it will:

- take a screen shot

- allow you to enter a description of the issue you are having

- allow you to include other pictures and files if needed

- allow you to fill in an email address or other contact information

- provide a check box for whether you want to be notified of updates regarding the issue (including a ticket number and status changes)

- send all of the above information along with the current and all referenced design files directly to Fusion support

The forum is great, especially when you can share files publicly.  But it does take significantly more work than a simple feedback button would.

C|

Yes, this is something we are working on doing. We will most likely roll it out in phases, but the final result will include all of what this idea is addressing. 

11 Kudos

Rigid Body Dynamics

by Advocate blaeiouk on ‎07-25-2016 12:04 PM

I would like to see rigid body dynamics, similar to what is available to me through Autodesk Simulation with its MES capability, added to the Simulation module of Fusion 360.

This had been suggested two years ago by someone else but it was archived due to lack of votes then.  I think, now that Fusion 360 is more mature and includes a growing Simulation capability, the addition of rigid body dynamics (mechanical event simulation) would be game-changing.

21 Kudos

plastic flow simulation

by Advocate Coscor_NPL on ‎02-14-2016 11:12 AM - last edited on ‎02-14-2016 11:13 AM |

Hi Fusion 360 Team

I have tried to search the forums/ideas, and seemed not to be able to find anything about this.

It would be a really REALLY valuable, important and helpfull tool for injection mould and part designers.

a simulation that would show the 'gathering points' 'stress points' 'burn marks' and 'way of filling' etc. by placing the gate location

Thanks in advance!

PS: inventor allready have something that could be used? http://www.autodesk.com/products/moldflow/overview

BTW. love you program/service/idea, awesome pricing for a very good product... though I think 'rotation' could be done better (I come from SW, don't know what is different, but something in fusion is... off)

We are focused on mechanical simulation aspects this year. We will consider plastic/mold simulation tech in the future.

Thanks,

Bankim

PS: We are tweaking the rotation feature a bit in the next update. Hopefully it will align more closely with what you expect.

13 Kudos

Tool Library Tool Modeling

by Contributor JerryLJr on ‎05-26-2016 03:29 AM

At our shop we often use custom tools whether it's a radius cutting with a very short end or a slotted end mill or a cut down taper end mill we use a variety of modified tools. When it comes to actually programing for these tools, however, it can offten become confusing as I have to find cheats to trick the CAM into run the tool as though the geometry of the tool were as it would be when modified even though in the CAM the tool is just a simple end mill or standard radius cutting and it has caused some problems a few times mainly with the radius cutters. So as a solution i find that it would be very much quicker and easier if the user were able to create a custom blank tool based off of current tool types and have more variables added to modify geometry (which would work in the case of the taper mill or radius cutters) or/ also if a tool could be modeled as any other object, but could then be inported into the tool library as a tool and just tell the CAM where the flute ends and how far the tool sticks out of the holder. Would love to see something like this at some point in the future. It'd make my job and I assume many others' much easier.

Great program, keep up the good work.

13 Kudos

Add a gravity vector

by Advocate kdeuler on ‎05-10-2016 09:13 PM

It would be useful for some modeling to be able to set a gravity vector that works identically against all grounded components. (By default, the vector could point in a downward direction against the Z axis.) A couple use cases:

>  Balance:  Some model subjects, such as scales or ornaments, are contrained by the effects of gravity. A gravity vector in combination with a function that adds variable mass to components could be useful.

> Liquid Pooling: With a gravity vector, you could also add a pooling function to see how liquids would fill cavities, and where the liquid would spill from continued adding of liquid, or from adjusting the overall position of the model.

2 cents. 

Thanks for your idea - we are not pursuing this in the modeling workspaces, but may be something we look at in the future for the Simulation workspace.

7 Kudos

I saw this as a previously requested feature that was archived and I don't think the reason for archiving it necessarily makes sense; especially because I think this feature is pretty important to anyone who uses components off the shelf.

The feature is as follows: Give the user the ability to override the mass calculated by the chosen material and part volume and the ability to override the calculated center of mass location.

Creating a custom material for every off the shelf component to get the mass just right is a lot of work. I should be able to tell Fusion to ignore its own calculated value and use the one I enter. Even a basic implementation of this feature would be really helpful. 

I don't care if my model material says steel or birch; the part I'm holding has an easily measured weight and I know that weight better than Fusion does. 

The gist is: no one wants to have to model purchased component internals accurately.

19 Kudos

The Material's Library on Fusion 360 is like a Kindergarten of materials. It is nice, is helps in extreme situations, but needs to go to school and to the university to be considered "professional".

In a normal work, the user makes a model, and want to put a specific material and a color to show the clients. This specific material couldn't be for God's shake "Plastis-Opaque-Blue"...It need to be for example a PLA, or a PET or whatever plastic exist in the wolrd. Only then, is a good design, taking in consideration the details as wich material should be ok or not in the manufacturing process.

Please, consider to give to the Material's Library and extremly usefull improvement as this or the next release.

Thanks!

We are adding more physical materials in the near future.  If you have specific materials you would like to see added please submit them.

Colin

11 Kudos

Sweep with a solid body.

by Participant jimmy.haddersPKDBD on ‎06-09-2016 06:20 AM

Hi, one feature i think would be a great asset would be the possibility to sweep a solid body and use it as a cutter like when you're milling with pencil command and such.

Lots of times when designing a surface or so you want to see what kind of tool would give what kind of corner to decide surrounding geometry.

I added a screencast to show what i'm after, this is a cam simulation but it shows what i'm looking for.

19 Kudos

Add advanced materials for simulation

by Collaborator vex on ‎02-02-2016 08:05 AM

Could we get composites, visco-elastic, and other advanced materials for simulation?

For composites; being able to dictate fiber orientations and ply thicknesses would be really helpful. Not to mention put it well beyond most other solid modeling software out there. What I imagine would be declaring that particular faces or components have 100% fibers divided into different directions (for instance 50% i, 25%j, 25%k). This of course doesn't work very well for molded and organic shapes, but in that case the assumption that the fibers follow the i, j, k percentages while remaining parallel and coincident with the organic surface direction might suffice. It would also be helpful to be able to dictate filament and matrix for the material. Carbon-Fiber, Glass-Fiber, Nano-Tube, etc combined with different epoxy matrix types would allow for a more complete engineering solution I think.

In similar fashion; having access to non-linear visco-elastic materials would be a pretty amazing addition to the simulation library. Rubbers that deform non-linearly or polymers that have accurately modeled ultimate compression strength (there's some that actually have no ultimate compression strength).

This things would add additional depth and functionality to an already robust system.

20 Kudos

Add other types of contact in the simulation models.   At least the ability to free some degrees of freedom between parts.  For the moment, only bonded are available.  It could be easy to add other types of contact while staying in a linear analysis.

It could greatly improve the capabilities of the simulations.

We can add sliding contacts in a future release.

Thanks,

Bankim

1 Kudo

Hi,

I just bought a tower with  a GTX 1080

I'm running a few renders with Fusion 360, Does the software automatically make use of your graphics card ? 

Also, can I use this graphics card to get a performance increase for CFD simulations ?

Thanks

Dom

3 Kudos

Have the ability to Highlight the location where an error that killed a simulation occurred.  That way it can help you narrow down the source of the problem(ie a recent change in geometry or an artifact in the part that wasn't obvious,  

The results always indicate the location and component number etc of the error, but there doesn't seem to be a way to cross reference that with the physical model.

3 Kudos

Multiple Processor Support

by Enthusiast jasonhomrighaus on ‎11-14-2016 08:53 AM

Could we have Multi-CPU processor support for local solving and rendering.  Would greatly speedup simulation results and at least some rendering work.

14 Kudos

The Inspect tool should be enabled in CAM simulation.  There is no way to make measurements after running the simulation in order to adjust toolpaths.  Trial and error method of adjusting toolpaths becomes tedious and a way to make measurements after a simulation would be very useful.

23 Kudos

Stock Comparison for CAM

by Contributor abender33 on ‎09-30-2015 12:28 PM

It would be extremely useful for a stock comparison mode, (which exists in HSMWorks). 

In stock comparison mode, the stock would be colored according to the amount of material left in relation to the model. The stock will be colored gray where the stock and model coincide. Red indicates that stock has been removed from the model which for instance happens when you are using negative stock to leave.

This is something we are working on getting over from HSMWorks to Fusion 360.

The current hang up is stability issues.

8 Kudos

Hello,

I've been looking for a way to make the same simulation study for the same model but with different parameters and still see the results of each simulation without having to rewrite the previously made. It would be an excellent idea to add something were the previous study does not be affected when the parameters are change so comparison can be made between each results of different parameters. If there is a way to do that inside the software without having to build a report I haven't found it. Is better to just compare it inside the software than to have some computer memory to be taken to generate a report for each simulation.

Regards,

3 Kudos

I delighted that Fusion 360 can do finite element analysis.  The material properties, constraints, and loading inputs seem fairly straightforward. In industries like aerospace, where low weight is a high priority, thin structures often provide optimum weight.  In the automotive industry, where fuel savings is becoming more of a priority, weight is becoming more of a concern.

In  thin lightweight structure, local and global buckling can occur at lower loads than maximum stress failures.  The current maximum stress simulation within Fusion 360 could miss first failure buckling modes.   Onset of buckling is highly affected when as a material approaches yielding, so a conservative buckling factor should also be used.  Two dimensional elements would be a more efficient way to predict buckling.

The Structural Buckling study typed was added in the 11/9/16 release of Fusion Ultimate. 

Check out the documentation on this new study type. http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-2B8D515A-F23F-4563-A552-95C8EDB8BA53 

14 Kudos

Transient Thermal Analysis

by Explorer wkveits on ‎02-05-2016 01:30 PM

I need the capability of performing a transient thermal analysis?  I have a thermal load that is repetitive.  The load is on for 300uS, and repeats every 3 mS for example.  I need to be able to determine the temperature vs time for several hundred milliseconds for this type of transient load.

Hi @wkveits - 

Thanks for reaching out on this topic. This is something we are considering for future development. Please keep an eye out for updates on this topic later this year. 

Thanks, 

Mike Smell

7 Kudos

forceeffect motion app in 360

by Contributor hendrix8 on ‎06-25-2016 11:57 PM

i use force effect motion / flow app , and it has inside app in 

can it be add to  Fusion 360 ?  

7 Kudos

inspire

by Contributor veganagev on ‎06-25-2016 02:09 PM

i would love to see fusion 360 have the capabilities similar to solidthinkings "inspire". the website is: http://www.solidthinking.com/ProductOverview.aspx?item=Inspire%20Overview&category=Products.

I think this is about the only thing lacking in fusion 360 I can think of. inspires ability to give a better model in terms of strength makes this super valuable in any designers pipeline. thx ill be looking forward to seeing this feature soon.

@veganagev We released very similar technology in the tech preview of our Shape Optimization simulation study type. Please check out the details here. Please let me know what else you would like to see in this technology segment. 

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-855F7BD1-E34B-4050-AD79-5A98F8F15BBB

15 Kudos

Current stock + toolpaths Preview

by Mentor on ‎12-21-2015 01:27 AM

This is something that is semi-possible in HSMWorks but I would like to have it decend.

So what I'm looking for is this:

While programming it's often hard to know what you have machined and what you haven't. So you would want the software to show you that.

This video shows what is possible now in HSMWorks but for all the Autodesk CAM solutions I think we want it updated.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/f62bcc6d-30f4-4d4a-8c12-205b4b78573a

If you enable the show stock preview feature you want it to show all the stock removed upto the operation that is selected.

If nothing is selected preview everything that is in the active job/setup.

But when you select an operation you still want to see the toolpath lines. Which is currently not possible it's one or the other and we want both.

2 Kudos

Create a 3d modeling software with an integrated Vr technology AND combining it with speech recognition (like siri or cortana) such that while creating one stuff from joystick we can also give instructions using speech enabling us to create more than one thing at a particular time. for e.g. while setting dimensions of a table using my joystick i can also speak to the software to change the texture of wall 3 i may have made earlier at the same time.
P.S.- I am not too rich, just want this free for my company.

7 Kudos

Hi,

the 3d printing integration in fusion is already good, the cherry on top would be a material that estimates the layer on layer structure of FDM 3d prints better than the uniform ABS or plastic materials.

First I imagine it could be helpfull to weaken an existing plastic material a bit to accomodate for the weaker layer adhesion compared to solid materials and second similar to tree rings in wood the print orientation influences the strength very differently in different directions.

Cheers

5 Kudos

While Fusion 360 is overall fantastic, I find the Animation module to be lacking what I would consider most basic components.  The two features that seem most lacking and would be ideal for inclusion are:

1.  Allow animation of joints and driven joints as actions

2.  Use keyframes to set all animatable attributes such as position (and hopefully joint driving)

All animation programs I've worked with use keyframes, from the most basic to the most advanced.  The fundamentals of Adobe After Effects would be a great model upon which to understand the basic expectations: any controllable attribute is keyframeable to any value at any point in the timeline.

I understand animation is not Fusion 360's core competency, but it is being pitched as a software solution that wraps all these capabilities into one, including animation.  While it might take awhile before high complexity features arrive to animation, I believe the two suggested above are almost fundamental requirements to visualizing one's concept for others.

Really appreciate this whole package and hope these efforts are already in the works.

11 Kudos

Borrow Inventor's .stl to solid body plugin

by Explorer DeanmodPC on ‎02-06-2016 01:43 AM
If you could do that I'd completely switch over from Inventor, 100%. That feature and legacy assemblies are the only reason I still use the program at all.

Plus it'd kind of help serve as a conversion between those two types of objects in fusion. It's amazingly helpful just to get loops and dimensions from geometry using this tool as well.
11 Kudos

I would like the constraint displays on the model itself to be more descriptive so that you can look at a model in simulation and know how specific faces or edges or faces are not allowed to move. Red arrows could be a good way to show the directions that edges or faces are currently constrained. 

Thanks for your submission. We've added this to our backlog and will look at this project after we complete some of our higher priority ones. We'll keep you posted on our progress. 

6 Kudos

Simulation - add Contacts folders

by Advocate JBerns on ‎06-16-2016 06:40 AM

I think it would be beneficial if the Simulation Contacts were organized into folders like Inventor does.

I would welcome your vote if you agree.

Regards,

Jerry