IdeaStation: Request a Feature or Enhancement

How do I get my idea in Fusion 360?

Implemented

find in browser

cekuhnen
New Idea
15 Kudos

Fusion360 really needs Industrial Design tools for "Plastic Part" design as per Inventor 2017. this is am must have and as important as sheet metal.

Plastic Features Inventor 2017.PNG

3 Kudos

The pipe feature is excellent, but in trying to design an exhaust system I found a major limitation. There is no ability to 'flare' the pipe diameter in certain areas. If the program was able to create a sculpt-able web of points on the pipe, which could then be manipulated in 3D space allowing for flaring of the pipe in certain areas. In designing two stroke exhausts this would be unbelievably helpful! See this video for the type of design work that otherwise has to be done (the video is on solidworks since that's the only example I could find)

30 Kudos

Full T-Spline toolset! Speedform Parity

by Contributor mohsenbehvar on February - last edited February |

I don't get it, why are some very useful T-spline tools withheld from Fusion360?

All of the tools shown below, are present in Speedform (which for some reason has no Education license) but are abscent from Fusion360

[Enlarge image]
Fusion-Speedform.jpg

These features are in our backlog.  Release date TBD.

4 Kudos

Surface to Surface Deviation Tool:
Favorite measurement tool in Alias while freeform sculpting. Shows the closest distance between two objects as well as the furthest.  My team uses these tools constantly when sculpting with incomplete engineering data ensuring we maintain proper air gaps between parts and protect for material thickness.

Example:

Fabric and Foam should be no less than 15 mm thick or a maximum of 40mm thick

Other measurements which should migrate to Fusion should include:
Curve to Curve
Curve to Surface
Surface to Surface
Mesh to Surface
Scan to Surface
Plane to Object

Please also allow the ability to have multiple measurements up on screen at a time.  While in sculpt mode, I will take a measurement of one area, then take another measurement.  When doing this, the first measurement disappears.

I currently use Alias for engineering concept work.

Kevin

12 Kudos

Cage Morph

by Advocate a month ago |

So often we see users looking for a way to use the SCLUPT tools to modify a solid. 

The new release of PowerShape includes a tool called "Cage Morph" that is exactly this kind of deformation tool!

This tool would be a welcome addition to Fusion!

8 Kudos

There should be a navigation speed option in Fusion 360.
(1) Pan Speed : It should be increase or decrease as option should be provided for changing this input or output.
(2) Zoom Speed : It should be increase or decrease as option should be provided for changing this input or output. It is quite low in fusion 360 compare to Inventor.
(3) Orbit Speed : It should be increase or decrease as option should be provided for changing this input or output.

17 Kudos

In T-Splines for Rhino it was able to use a bunch of curves to create a T-Spline surface. Something similar in Fusion 360 would be nice.

Ways.png

We have this on our roadmap for T-Splines.  Release date TBD.

7 Kudos

I would LOVE to have a mode where I can just model with T-Splines (preferably with history) and without losing my T-Spline mesh to an auto-convert-to-nurbs and not being able to easily keep tweaking my T-Spline mesh!

I just want T-Spline modeling without losing my T-Splines and without it being exclusive to a separate mode where if you exit it, you lose all T-Splines.

screenshot.jpg

4 Kudos

Foam cut

by Explorer rideonbeat a month ago |

It would be great if we can use fusion 360 to generate g-code for wire foam cutting, or if we can control the path inputs and outputs maintaining the plasma/laser/water cutter on.

7 Kudos

UVW unwrap

by Explorer suguru40 January |

More control about textures mapping like maya or 3ds max.

7 Kudos

IK chains for wire layouts, ropes and chains.

by Advocate on January - last edited January |

In Maya 3D there is a powerful animation tool called Inverse Kinematics or IK Chains. Using IK chains makes a character come to life by adding joints from a fixed position chained to a moveable and bind-able null point.

Here is a quick demo of Maya's IK chain

This would be a fantastic addition to Fusion 360's super powers as we would be able to create jointed (flexible) wires, ropes, chains, etc. from one component to another. This would allow us to reposition a component, with full collisions detection of course, without having to remodel the wires, a very time-consuming process. 

So now, all powerful Fusion 360 engineers, go forth and yank that code directly out of Maya with a crowbar and effortlessly slam it into fusion where it will simply work how I dream it will. 

7 Kudos

Has anybody seen this tech? This would be wonderfull inside Fusion 360.

This means sketching with a tablet directly on the screen, without using image references.

http://www.ilovesketch.com/

Then use the curves to fill patches and then to solids.

13 Kudos

Show Referenced Geometry

by Contributor electrofish on ‎12-13-2016 04:53 PM

Problem - It is easy to create unknown ripple effects when making changes earlier in a timeline by not knowing how a feature is related to others in the same part/component or, even more important, other parts/components in an assembly.

I'm advocating a simple way to see an object's relationship with the rest of the universe, essentially a "Show Referenced Geometry" command.  The result of the command would be the 'highlighting of' and 'shortcut' to any other feature or object that either 1) is derived directly from the selected feature or 2) was used to directly derive the selected feature.

Even the most basic iteration of this function would be incredibly helpful when contemplating deletions or troubleshooting errors.  Right now, there is a fair amount of guesswork/investigation required.  these ripple effects tend to be among my most time-consuming activities in Fusion 360 when performing changes.

A more refined version of this function would provide clickable selections to take you directly to the referenced geometry with the feature highlighted, and it would tell you this feature is used to derive your selected one or was derived from it.

16 Kudos

T-Splines: Inset face

by Mentor on ‎11-20-2016 07:35 PM

Inset face like offset but within a surface is an incredible and often used command.

This would be another must have for T-Splines as poly modeler to offer to designers.

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 10.33.54 PM.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2TEZsLVVqMjlfWUk/view

Good suggestion.  Putting this in the backlog. 

38 Kudos

The current tools available to add edge loops to T-Splines are are limited to the point of being useless.

Just trying to add edge loops to a simple not subdivided 6-sided cube in Fusion 360 is a hassle.

The animated gif below show how blazingly fast this can be done in Blender by using the key-combo Ctrl-R and scrolling the mouse wheel to increase/decrease the number of edge loops : 

3 Kudos

New to F360, mostly find it an amazingly pleasant surprise compared to what I previously used (I-DEAS), but really miss a key functionality.

I-DEAS used a single-click of the middle mouse button to variously mean "OK", "done", "done with selection", etc. which saved a lot of the mousing around otherwise required to complete selections, exit a form, etc.

4 Kudos

UVW unwrap

by Explorer suguru40 January |

More control about textures mapping like maya or 3ds max.

14 Kudos

Bridge is a great tool but keeping it as a G0 loft tool is not making the most use of it.

In Fusion you can bridge aka loft between two edges or sets of profiles with G0.

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 2.12.15 PM.png

What Fusion should offer is the ability to move the added bridge surface steps to mimik G1 or g2 like flows.

Take a look at what Blender can do:

I can blend between to edges, define the amount of steps and then define the shape of the transition via the

smooth function! This is incredible useful for organic modeling and a "Muss ich haben!"   ("must have" for monolinguals)!!!

Blender takes into consideration the direction of the faces that have the edges I want to blend between.

So useful!

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 1.37.13 PM.png

Adding this to the backlog for T-Splines.  Release date TBD.

31 Kudos

It would be great to have a conform tool to match separate bodies to existing surface geometry as you can in Alias Studio. 

See image below where detail is matched to existing geometry.

Thank you for your idea, this is a great idea, but we don't know when this will happen. Our plan is to revisit this idea as well as similar topics like sketch normal and bending. We'll keep you posted on our progress. 

3 Kudos

dimensioning

by Contributor veganagev January |

i think it would be a good idea to have the dimensions of the part you make show up automatically on( or optionally off) when the object is selected.

6 Kudos

Activate Component Improvement

by Participant thetechbros2015 on ‎12-16-2016 12:04 AM

Some times when making a Quick part up Or Programming the CAM for a part . I'm jumping between parts editing sketches, features and Operations. I forget to activate the component or operation in CAM and it ends up taking longer because  sketches don't show up for the parts they are suppose to be for. There  just isn't an easy way at a glance to see what part or cam is activated, I find my self hovering over all my parts in large assemblies trying to see were I screwed up and were I was actually editing  .

A Simple improvement could be like not to auto hide the dot that you select when you activate a part that way it will always be visible at a quick glance.

Best regards,

Logan McCleary

76 Kudos

The idea is to integrate sketchbook drawing in F360 with two modes, "3D Canvas" and "Blueprint Box".

3D Canvas:

Create the raw form of your design then convert the solid/surfaces in a 3D canvas to draw details and variants quickly on the surface or project lines on it:

The raw form:

The 3D Canvas with some sketch lines:

Blueprint Box:

Create a box with editable dimensions, then choose a face and sketch the monge projection. Do the same with the other faces.
Back in model mode, each face should appear in the corresponding orthogonal view with its opacity control.

Editing a face (The other faces for reference):

The box preview with the sketches:

I'm a big fan of a mixed 2D paint and 3D modeling environments like we did in Alias We will be integrating functionality from Skechbook (paint core).  Release date TBD.

43 Kudos

I've seen a few other people touch on this but it's really pissing me off and deserves its own idea.

Automagically adjusting the view is great if you get it right. The problem is that about 99.9% of the time in F360, when the view is magically adjusted, the app gets it wrong.

That means every time I start working on a sketch, it pans what I'm trying to work on out of the center and sets the zoom to an absurdly wrong level.

Knock that off !!!

This is particularly awful because 3D navigation in F360 is a huge PITA but automatic stuff is terribly frustrating and annoying when it's done badly.

At the very least (please do more than this but at a minimum) there should be a quick / almost effortless way to jump back / undo the automagic view shifting. Better still, just say no - don't do it unless you really, really know that's what the user wants.

14 Kudos

Animation from Timeline

by Employee on ‎09-13-2016 12:33 PM

Everybody loves seeing how a design was created by clicking the play button in the timeline. It would be great to be able to save that out as an animation.

Can you provide some more detail around how you would use the animation? Are you referring to video format or an animation like the animation workspace? 

1 Kudo

Right now if components are too dark you have to adjust their individual appearance

11 Kudos

Currently there is no way to do this unless the surface is flat.

This is a good idea; we have this captured in our backlog. We have many high priority projects that we're focusing on (performance and stability in particular), so we're not sure when we will get to this. When we do, we'll keep you posted. 

3 Kudos

I would take any key, but since Edit Form is is the press pull of sculpting.  Maybe we could get "Q" to launch Edit Form when in sculpting mode.

Press pull is already pretty smart.  Pre-Selecting a face will launch Offset Faces,  a profile launches extrude, an edge launches fillet, etc.  Would like to pick a face, vertex, or edge on a t-spline body and get Edit Form.

Thanks.

31 Kudos

Hi guys,

I was wondering if for future releases you could add another testing feature for more automotive/aerodynamic forms where we could simulate a wind tunnel type scenario to see how smoothly our design travels through the air and adjust the design accordingly. This would be another super helpful feature for product refinement.

Thanks,

-Ben

6 Kudos

T-Splines edge Loft

by Mentor on ‎11-17-2016 04:29 PM

Would it be possible to offer loft between edges in T-Splines

best with adding G1 G2 like curvature options for the additional faces inside the to create loft software

I added the G1 G2 idea also to bridge -  I think loft and bridge could be combined the kinda do the same what

I do in other sub-d modelers with polygons.

Capture.PNG

2 Kudos

FIRST OF AS ALWAYS I WOULD LIKE TO THANK FUSION 360 TEAM.

AMAZING PRODUCT!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CONSIDER adding ability to MIRROR SKETCH TO a DIFFERENT PLANE, and connect constraints in order to edit one you edit multiple others sketches in another planes.

THANK YOU

6 Kudos

T-Splines - Custom vector

by Mentor on ‎11-15-2016 03:58 PM

T-Splines offers global and local which is more normal orientations and for many aspects this can be enough but often you want to be able to save a vector to use later - Alias does the same.

This is the way how it works:

You can select a face and save the normal orientation as a new vector

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 3.50.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-15 at 3.50.37 PM.png

then later you can select this as an orientation and work with it.

you are not limited to what local / normal orientation your mesh selection provides

this is fantastic specifically when want to align CVs along a vector unlike global x y or z

7 Kudos

Edit Any/All Visible Dimensions

by Advocate bverboort on ‎10-29-2016 06:58 AM

All,

I'd like to be able to edit any/all visible dimension with a double-click.

If I can see it, I should be able to edit it regardless of the active environment.

Example below... double-click the sketch dimension to change it, even though I'm not in sketch dimension mode.

EditDim.png

Best,

Brian

129 Kudos

3D to 2D - Flattening surfaces or creating developable surfaces

by Participant jeorane on ‎05-31-2014 11:31 AM - last edited on ‎05-31-2014 11:33 AM |

Hi, I would like to suggest a new feature to Fusion 360:

Flattening or unroll surfaces (3D to 2D) and export it to .dxf,  like as it is possible in Rhino 3D or in ExactFlat.

Video for Rhino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FzTvxg88T4

Rhino commands:

http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/seealso/sak_flatten.htm

ExactFlat Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTwrRpTYTiI

Interesting stuff. We recently acquired Delcam that has some pretty interesting technology that I think is along the line of what you are talking about for soft goods.

This is not something we could likely do this year but certainly a great future consideration. Lets see if others have similar needs.

5 Kudos

T-Splines Snapping via Hotkey

by Mentor on ‎11-23-2016 08:49 AM

It would be great if a suer could press a hotkey to turn snapping on in T-Splines.

Currently it seems when I activate it snapping is on and to turn it off I have to uncheck the box.

workflow wise this is not very elegant slowing me down.

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 11.47.39 AM.png

5 Kudos

link Mesh Data to drive T-Spline bodies

by Mentor on ‎11-16-2016 02:02 PM

Blender has one function I use heavily in a lot of designs

You can have two objects hard plastic and overmolded part but both objects use the same mesh input data.

adjust the mesh will update each object the same way

to expand an overmolded area I can select certain CVs and via an expand function make it grow.

this is how I use a lot of generative modeling tasks in Blender and it would be fantastic if Fusion could do something similar.

Currently I would have to work with individual TS objects which is ok but not very interactive.

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 1.57.51 PM.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2eFBkMWxXMl9lQVk/view

Archived due to lack of votes

14 Kudos

We need to be able to set the normal of the construction plane so that sketches be reassigned to a new plane don't get flipped, or splits being redefined via a new plane aren't flipping body identities. 

This is something we like to get to, but it is far out. We have some higher priority projects that need to happen first like Sheet metal and better core modeling functionality. We have your idea captured and will keep you posted on it's progress. 

6 Kudos

T-Spline isloate edges to evaluate flow

by Mentor on ‎10-30-2016 06:22 PM

T-Splines is great but when modeling a rather complex object and you want to perfect the flow you need to look at the individual loops sometimes.

Here is a Blender screenshot sculpting a basic cloth iron body for a demo.

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 9.19.31 PM.png

The mesh is not too dense yet too complex is the shape to easily check the loops and flows

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 9.15.19 PM.png

isolating the selected loop (hiding everything else) makes this task a lot easier.

Now I can rotate around that loop evaluate and adjust it.

In blender this is done via Shift H - hide none selected!

Archived due to lack of votes/

23 Kudos

I would love a feature that could take a high density mesh file such as an STL and turn it in to a solid,   It wouldn't even have to be a T-splines body,   just a dumb body that was as close to the original shape as possible.

Right now the limit for Fusion (and solidworks)  is 10k triangles to convert from STL to solid.    I can upload the same STL to Fusion though, and get a mesh body.     

I would love a tool that would convert that high polygon mesh body directly to a solid.

Hi @madengineer13

There will be improvements to mesh handling in Fusion in the next few months.  One area that we are looking at is a better way to work with higher poly count mesh models.   Can't comment on when this would happen yet.

Colin

2 Kudos

Hi,

When I´m T-Spline modeling in Fusion 360 then some objects appear as just fine. When I click on "finish form" then the error appears (surfaces crossing each other)  and I´m inhibited to finish the form (Screenshot(58).png).

To fix this can be frustrating with very complicated forms, because you might not really find the error.

So how about this:

Every time I do a misstep like this, then Fusion gives me a warning (like it is with fillet when the radius appears to be to big), so I can undo the error immediately, and don´t have to worry about.

This would be really nice.

I have another issue with a small bug. Some days ago fusion began to start like this: (Screenshot(57).png). The bar on the top just disappears in the right and I can´t stop sketch over the bar ect. This is very annoying

Thanks for reading my submission!

Best regards

7 Kudos

Need display toggles

by Enthusiast PTERRY on ‎09-29-2016 11:45 AM

We need to be able to toggle between display modes.

If you're working on a tspline surface and making subtle changes, you need to be able to toggle between "shaded" and "shaded with visible edges" or similar. Look at "toggle model" in Alias.

This needs to be done fast, preferably with a hotkey (really we need to be able to map our own hotkeys for everything).

By having to do this with menus, it takes an enormous amount of time as I literally have to do this hundreds of time a day.

It's not possible to get decent visual feedback on a surface with the wireframe in the way.

40 Kudos

If you start a sketch but exit it immediately (i.e. with no sketch entities), that sketch should be automatically deleted, Just like if you start a Create [e.g. a box] command but then exit it.  Same with a sculpted form.  Instead they show up on the timeline and have to be deleted manually.

Does anyone want an empty sketch or form as a placeholder?  

12 Kudos

All in One Construction Plane Creation

by Advocate mark2t on ‎07-14-2016 08:58 AM

I would like to see the creation of all "Construction" types be under ONE creation dialogue for each of the Construction tools. One dialog for creating Planes, one for Axis, and one for Points. You click on "Create Plane" and then the dialog offers all the different methods to do this.

The big advantage of this would be when you need to redefine a plane by a different method than what you originally used. As of now, if you want to redefine a plane as "Plane at Angle" and you had made it an "Offset Plane", you have to delete it; create the new one; and then reroute any sketches or splits that used it to the new plane. A time suck.

5 Kudos

solid sweep

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎11-02-2016 07:50 AM

It'd be great to have the ability to sweep a solid body along a path [possibly with guide rails] to carve parts

18 Kudos

measure an arc radius

by Moderator on ‎04-23-2016 12:51 PM

Hi

It would be nice to measure the radius of the arc as Circle 

Arc Measure window

Circle Measure window

16 Kudos

Assign color to bodies

by Advocate on ‎05-01-2016 10:32 AM

It would be nice to be able to assign color to bodies ( as well as automatic color toggle similar to one that works for components). It's similar to appearance but is different in a way that you are not changing the material. It's just a tool to help read the design better.

Archived due to lack of votes.

34 Kudos

Send feedback button for Fusion

by Advisor kb9ydn on ‎09-24-2015 12:45 PM

What I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like to see for Fusion is a "send feedback" button.  When you press this button it will:

- take a screen shot

- allow you to enter a description of the issue you are having

- allow you to include other pictures and files if needed

- allow you to fill in an email address or other contact information

- provide a check box for whether you want to be notified of updates regarding the issue (including a ticket number and status changes)

- send all of the above information along with the current and all referenced design files directly to Fusion support

The forum is great, especially when you can share files publicly.  But it does take significantly more work than a simple feedback button would.

C|

Yes, this is something we are working on doing. We will most likely roll it out in phases, but the final result will include all of what this idea is addressing. 

19 Kudos

parametric Match in t-spline

by Enthusiast deddydtd on ‎03-11-2016 07:22 AM

Implement the MATCH command,  linking with the curve
if I change the curves: the body change

We have this in our backlog for Sculpt, release date is TBD.

27 Kudos

surface textures for 3D printing

by Explorer s73mose on ‎11-21-2015 06:54 PM

Being able to design and apply surface textures to models for 3D printing would be a nice feature.

Like being able to create dimpled or raised dot surfaces to increase grip or traction.

Being able to apply this to mesh sculpted surfaces and body is what I am looking for.

Generate simple to complex textures and apply them to entire bodies and also designate an area to apply the texture with in that boundary.

Not an easy task, but would be an awesome feature to simplify model construction and enhance the end product.

Thanks,

Steve Mose

3 Kudos

The shape optimiser generates surfaces that give hints about how to make an optimal part, but they're incomplete and unusable without significant effort.

Typically, it generates something like this:

Capture d’écran 2016-11-28 à 13.06.15.png

It seems obvious that what's happening is that the mesh is being iteratively optimised but what would be great instead is to infer symmetries (or have the user specify them) and generate something smooth with whatever properties the user specifies to aid in manufacturability / satisfy other constraints

Capture d’écran 2016-11-28 à 13.39.07.png

7 Kudos

In the sculpt environment I wish to have more control over the handles. This screenshot shows that its hard to create a tangent continuity across the middle plane for example. So the idea is to make it possible to snap the handles to a specified point in X and Y direction based on the current view. Just like the snapping feature in alias. In this specific case it would also help to just align the handles vertically or horizontally.

2016 09 02 screenshot handle problem.JPG

13 Kudos

Add a gravity vector

by Advocate kdeuler on ‎05-10-2016 09:13 PM

It would be useful for some modeling to be able to set a gravity vector that works identically against all grounded components. (By default, the vector could point in a downward direction against the Z axis.) A couple use cases:

>  Balance:  Some model subjects, such as scales or ornaments, are contrained by the effects of gravity. A gravity vector in combination with a function that adds variable mass to components could be useful.

> Liquid Pooling: With a gravity vector, you could also add a pooling function to see how liquids would fill cavities, and where the liquid would spill from continued adding of liquid, or from adjusting the overall position of the model.

2 cents. 

Thanks for your idea - we are not pursuing this in the modeling workspaces, but may be something we look at in the future for the Simulation workspace.

11 Kudos

Virtual Reality Mode

by Advocate CarlM89 on ‎06-04-2016 06:02 PM

I'm an early adopter of VR technology and have a HTC Vive VR set. It consists of a wide field of view positionally tracked goggles and 2 positionally tracked hand controlers. It is absolutely fantastic technology and I can see this having a huge place in CAD in the very near future. Google has released a program called Tiltbrush which is essentially Windows paintbrush in 3D. It is relatively simplistic, but the interface is very good and could be good inspiration for a Fusion 360 VR mode. You can see some of the interface and how it works in this video:

3 Kudos

I've been struggling working with meshes ... costing me tons of wasted time and frustration ... watching videos where they had menu items (like "merge" and "mesh to BRep" and such where I didn't.  I couldn't figure out why they would remove such valuable functions ... and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Eventually someone was nice enough to answer my posts about why those were removed, or how I could get them.  They said I had to enable Direct Modelling ... well I had no idea what that was but apparently it means turn off design history (why don't they just say that).  Ouilla!  I always use design history so I would have never discovered that otherwise.

This seems like basic UI101 ... but anyway ... better late than never, yes?  Let's gray those menu items out and add context-sensitive help to instruct the user how to enable those functions.

Are there any other menu items that get hidden at various times?  I don't know, but sure would be nice to know.  Thanks!

8 Kudos

Find in Timeline

by Advocate mark2t on ‎07-22-2016 06:52 AM

I would like to add "Find in Timeline" to the dropdown list when right clicking. I know that sometimes a series of hash-marks will appear above the feature when selected, but not if the body you are inquiring about has been paced into a component. I would like the feature to scroll across into view along the timeline.

4 Kudos

I frequently am asked to convert meshes into solids.  Until such time as Fusion automatically does this for me (...hopefully sometime soon!  :) here is my workflow, which works very well (except for this IdeaStation part I am asking for):

• Import mesh
  • Go into Sculpt
  • Create Faces with object snapping manually (create face, then edge create)
  • Click Subdivide/Simple with snapping to better fit the surfaces (on every.single.face.one.at.a.time)

If the subdivide command could work on multiple faces at one time (allow all selected faces to be subdivided into arbitrary numbers (2 length 3 width or whatever) with snapping, it would save tons of time.

A simple change, but one that will help us with mesh-to-solid workflows.  Thanks! 

5 Kudos

Notes

by Enthusiast jburns on ‎10-18-2016 12:42 PM

I would like a way to record ideas or details related to a model in modeling mode.  It could be implemented any number of ways, but I would like to see something like a text leader in drawing mode which could be turned on and off easily. It would point to a fixed location, and the text would always be oriented to the viewer regardless of the model viewing angle. A traditional "text box" would also be nice.

I do most of my work in "traditional machining" so I'm pretty good at designing things like holes and fillets in blocks. But every now and then i have to design something using a design tool that takes me a lot of time to understand. For instance, recently I designed a complex surface using lofts. It took many hours to get right, and to be honest my understanding of it is still pretty tenuous. I'd like to be able put reminders in the model as to how I got it to actually work so I can come back up to speed quickly if I need to make changes in the future.

Other application for this could be:

To note part references for un-modeled components that may attach to the model: "bolt pattern for control rod"

To note some feature that was changed relative to another drawing: "changed handle material"

To remind the designer of some critical circumstance :"this surface exposed to high heat!"

To document source material: "this profile transferred from Julie's sketch"

Having something similar in the Patch and CAM environments would also be very useful for me.

3 Kudos

I am a Rhinoceros user.

I would like to see a tutorial made for Rhinoceros users like me.

This tutorial should have:

1. A table with a comparison of each Rhino command and its equivalent in Fusion 360.
  2. Different approaches in Fusion 360 to get the same result as we get in Rhino.
  3. What Rhino can do and Fusion 360 cannot and workarounds.
  4. What Fusion 360 can do better and faster than Rhino.
  5. Comparison between interfaces.

12 Kudos

The Coil tool will likely primarily be used for modeling helical springs in compression, extension, or torsion applications. Although it might be used for other purposes it still feels incomplete. How about adding some functionality for designing thre three common classes of helical springs. Perhaps a whole new featire called the "Spring Tool "can be added that uses the coil tool.

For helical compression springs there are two common end features that should be added as options:
1. Closed, pitch adjusts at end coils so that they touch.
2. Ground so that the end coils are flat perpindicular to the main axis of the helix.

For helical extension springs a few features might also cover all common configurations:
1. Open loop ends
2. Closed loop ends.

2. Flexibility in position and orientation of loops.

For helical torsional springs there are again many configurations that can be covered usually with just a few smart features:
1. Sraight ends for the legs.
2. Flexibility in position and orientation of legs.

General functionality for all compression spring types:
1. Permit direction of winding.
2. Permit special geometry for cross-section of wire.
3. Permit ends to be easily modified for special end types such as custom loops or other shapes.

4. Permit special positoning and orientation of ends by permiting bends in any direction. 

Additonal Features:

4. Permit manual adjustments of end coils for pitch.
5. Create a library of common end types for non-compression springs.

7 Kudos

when I want to use a mesh to reskin / rebuild it in Fusion then seeing all the mesh points and edges is not a good idea always.

I would prefer to be able to show hide the polygon edges selectively!

3 Kudos

Blender has this neat function where when you're scaling an item in high detailed zoom view, you can move the mouse endlessly in a desired direction regardless of screen edge, this would be awesome in Fusion. I'm often working zoomed in on a mm level, designing parts for a timepiece, so this would be a useful function.

thanks,

Alldaron

37 Kudos

I often create multiple components that nest into one another where 'fit' tolerance is critical. It would be wonderful if there was a workflow where after creating a component, the combine tool would allow for the option of creating an offset of the tool. That way the cut operation when keeping both the tool and the target body would allow for tolerance between the two in a uniform way.  

Thanks,

_C

Good idea, adding to the backlog for modeling. Release date tbd.

8 Kudos

T-Spline sculpting is maybe different than technical surfacing and thus should the user be allowed to overwrite self intersecting warnings.

in this case it bugs out because the surface flows back but nothing is connected

in real live this is how I would model it so I dont see what the deal is

I can still later isolate the offending surfaces separate them trim them and stitch everything back together.

currently I have to use other far more surface changing work arounds and that is not ideal

13 Kudos

New free form measurement tool

by Explorer kevyad on ‎03-15-2016 11:07 AM
A great new tool that designers would use often is a free form measurement or ruler tool. The idea would be that initially one end of the measurement tool is anchored to a body or vertex or even any arbitrary point and the other end would be moving freeform in space snapping to the closest body or vertex or if nothing close, just moving freely in 3D space, and as this end moves realtime measurements are called out - specifically X, Y, and Z distances as well as the hypotenuse distance.
3 Kudos

Symmetry everywhere

by Contributor mohsenbehvar on ‎11-01-2016 09:27 AM

We need many more symmetry options and we need many more tools to work symmetrical.

For example, I was to draw these faces with symmetry on, so I can see my entire design, and the center line and all that!

KEQrvM1

15 Kudos

Displacement Mapping

by Explorer sam85slim on ‎01-26-2016 05:12 PM

I think it would me great to able to pull textures or maps off of photographs and apply them as meshes directly to a surface.  I think there are a few other software packages that can do this, and it would greatly improve usability when 3D printing and CNC routing complex objects.

Adding to the visualization backlog.  Release date TBD.

2 Kudos

Direct Integration of common 3D scanning and acquisition platforms and devices would greatly add to Fusion 360's continued place as the central software from which all CAD activity can take place. Directly being integrated from Scan to print and scan to CAM would be an amazing achievement. Though there are many devices out there, Microscribe, Faro, NextEngine, David Scanners and others are some of the leading devices. 

6 Kudos

When will the ability to use a guide surface or collection of tangent surfaces as a guide to control the orientation of a profile so it remains perpendicular to the guide surface and not twist randomly up the path curve its being swept along?.

cheers

Carl

35 Kudos

Match T-Spline Vertex

by Participant ab on ‎02-19-2015 12:19 AM

A super essential feature is missing from Fusion360!

It seems like there´s no precise way to move a T-spline vertex in reference to other geometry (Sketch,Work Geometry etc.):

Match Edge only works on edges.

Flatten only works on more than one Vertex.

Edit Form with Object snap doesn't snap to Sketch or Work Geometry, neither does Pull Command.

Align moves the entire body, Move is also not an option.

Suggestion for new Match T-Spline Vertex ability:

I guess that this function could be integrated in the original Match feature.

Preferable would offcourse be if the new Match Vertex, had an optional History/Parametry option, so if the the Sketch or Work Geometry later on was modified, the T-Spline vertex would follow.

5 Kudos

Autodesk remake can convert tri mesh to quad obj

can you please add this feature so I can import tri mesh stls and objs and convert them to TS BREP without having to go to remake to do the conversion

also when importing meshs into fusion, the presence setting of convert mesh to triangles makes it very confusion to get  a quad mesh into fusion to convert to a TS

Thank You 

C

3 Kudos

Have a Bug(

by Explorer spellll on ‎10-23-2016 07:32 AM

Bug with Loft operation into the Basic training>0,3 Sculpting intro scene 1Loft Bug.png

6 Kudos

Directional PULL

by Explorer kyrreaa on ‎07-19-2016 03:39 PM

I suggest adding directionality to the pull command allowing a nurb surface to map onto an existing surface from user specified direction.

This would be a very usefull method of applying a new grid of nurbs onto a preexisting shape that would be hard or timeconsuming to prepare an object around.

In some cases the preexisting object may be a non closed solid (surface) and creating a plane in front of it and forcing the controlpoints to snap to the preexisting object along an axis would take seconds. The curent snap function would simply snap entire plane of controlpoints onto the top features of the model.

2 Kudos

Create a 3d modeling software with an integrated Vr technology AND combining it with speech recognition (like siri or cortana) such that while creating one stuff from joystick we can also give instructions using speech enabling us to create more than one thing at a particular time. for e.g. while setting dimensions of a table using my joystick i can also speak to the software to change the texture of wall 3 i may have made earlier at the same time.
P.S.- I am not too rich, just want this free for my company.

2 Kudos

Global Space works fine while Local Space has few issues and misbehaviors.

But specifically with T-Splines something like Local Space Orientation is the most important asset to have for changing orientations

and thus I highly suggest to refine this orientation helper.

4 Kudos

Improvements to the Measure tool

by Explorer joeldodich on ‎09-04-2016 06:28 PM

I feel like these would be some simple and straightforward enhancements to the inspection tool:

- If you measure a filet in a STEP file it doesn't give you the radius, only the line length. Not very helpful.

- Measuring between lines gives you the distance between the points you select, but that isn't necessarily the normal distance. Selecting two lines should give the normal distance between them (i.e. measuring thicknesses and lines are // but not directly in line vertically)

- XYZ differences would also be nice

The inspection tool is underrated but is used extensively in reverse engineering and quoting machining jobs

Thanks.

13 Kudos

Parts/components/assembly  rotation and manipulation should always be set at the center of the screen (we never really actually work on one corner of the screen) at a depth corresponding to the closest point of the geometries (intersection between a virtual axis perpendicular to the screen crossing the geometry).   This way, the rotation point would never have to be adjusted along the zoom. 

This is super annoying when working on a long part and/or a large part with many small details.

5 Kudos