IdeaStation: Request a Feature or Enhancement

How do I get my idea in Fusion 360?

Implemented

find in browser

cekuhnen
New Idea
16 Kudos

Hello.

I suggest to merge all similar ideas entered here and add up their vote count. 

I wanted to suggest an idea, but found multiple posts already from previous users, each having some votes. But this is inefficient and people do not want to go vote for each of the several posted ideas to get it more visible, so it ends up on the bottom of the list eventually.

Merging them would reduce this clutter a lot and represent more true interest for the idea via combined vote counts. This way there will be one post/topic per idea and more attractive to voting.

Thank you!

1 Kudo

I have forgotten my password and I need to reset to a more memorable password. who do I need to contact before I log out.

0 Kudos

Please either create an "on/off" check block for those of us with all bits which remain the same diameter overall.  Please also allow that to correspond to the user interface, so that it is far less confusing to add tools to a UI which is currently quite unfriendly to machines which use simple routers & collet/nut systems as the spindle mechanism.

0 Kudos

There use to be an app in the Fusion App Store specifically for creating soft jaws, but it is no longer available, and the app has disappeared from my copy of Fusion 360 which most likely happened during an automatic update.

Designing and making soft jaws for holding complex parts is a huge part of machining and should be a basic component of Fusion CAM.

I know there are workarounds to this issue but they become tedious if you're a machine shop.  We should be able to have a Soft Jaw folder where I have my basic profiles premade.  I should be able to select the size of soft jaw that I want from my prebuilt blanks and import it into the Soft Jaw Creation Tool where my selected profile is subtracted out of the blank, and then exported to the folder where it needs to go.

Easier said than done I am sure.

Autodesk is doing a fantastic job on Fusion, and I am glad you guys are looking out for us little guys!

Thank You!

0 Kudos

The workspace bar migrates into the work area every time I open a file, and needs to be moved back to the top right adjacent to the orientation cube.  I don't see a method in 2.0.2862 for designating a default location.

6 Kudos

3D view engine needs to be faster !

by Mentor on 4 weeks ago - last edited 4 weeks ago |

I do not know what causes the slow down in Fusions 3D view but with dense models it tanks

literally reducing the frame rate to a speed that makes it hard to work with.

The same model loaded in Alias provides a fluid and smooth workflow no matter if the model

has 3000 or 9000 surfaces.

So it cannot be my hardware which is why I made the Alias test.

The same model tested on a surfaceBook pro running win10 and using a much weaker GPU

runs dramatically faster than the MacPro I have with 2 GTX 970s.

So it seems that in addition the Mac version of Fusion has a openGL speed problem compared to

the Fusion for Windows.

Even selecting patches in Win is faster - at least the engine showing the patches being blue and selected

runs noticeable faster on the surfaceBook. 

I am not sure if the offenders are:

• the selection / highlight system
  • the added effects etc in 3d view
  • or the 3D view display engine in general.

However something really is making Fusion unable to deal with dense cad data I tested here in my studio

but also in the engineering department yesterday at work at Wayne State.

0 Kudos

Compound Moves/Aligns

by Enthusiast nallenscott on 4 weeks ago - last edited 4 weeks ago |

It used to be possible to move items by chaining multiple move types together in a single op - starting with one move type then switching to another type to continue the move. This behavior changed with recent updates such that selecting a new move type returns the item to its starting position, limiting you to a single move type each time. Chaining multiple aligns together in a single op is also broken.

Compound moves/aligns are enormously convenient. Please bring this feature back.

6 Kudos

Permanently deleting Designs is a poor idea.  All designs should go to a deleted design location from which they can be reloaded or restored to their original location.  A roll off of deleted designs on a calendar basis would be acceptable.  For example, if I haven't wanted to recover it in 6 months, it could be removed.  That should be configurable, with a NEVER option.

The rationale for this is that people make mistakes.  Software makes mistakes.  When a person intends to delete an old design but deletes a new design (not versions) or when the software has a bug, the design should be recoverable.

For example, I had a design that I wanted to move to a better location in my project structure.  The design was unmoveable, apparently because of some not yet implemented feature per an Autodesk authored forum page that I didn't discover until later.  I could have exported it and restored it but instead I loaded the design and Saved As to the desired location.  Then when I deleted the design in the original location after confirming that it was the new location, the design disappeared in both locations, losing about 60 hours of work for me.

4 Kudos

Ability to order Sketch Palette items

by Participant skubie on a month ago - last edited a month ago |

re-order.pngIt would be great if one could re-oder the palette items to a user's preference. At the very least, it seems to me Options gets used much less than Constraints and therefore Options should be below Constraints

0 Kudos

3MF file format

by Enthusiast and.magro on a month ago - last edited a month ago |

Hello,

The new AM file format - 3MF, already arrived to SW.

Since Autodesk is also a founding member of the 3MF consortium, can I expect soon the integration of this file format in Fusion 360?

Tks,

AMagro 

3 Kudos

Hi Guys

Love the new XYZ triad in Fusion - Thanks!

It would be great if we could re-orientate the XYZ triad, much like that of the View Cube.  I work with a lot of .STEP files and after opening will always re-orientate the part the way I like it.  The only problem then, is my XYZ triad no longer represents my desired axes. e.g. Z = Up  (See attached screen grab).

Hope you can make this idea a reality!

Cheers

Grant

15 Kudos

There should be an option for word  spacing of Letter as well as Horizontal and Vertical in Text Environment. Gap between letter is constant and is not vary constantly. Add more option for Horizontal spacing and Vertical Spacing in Text Environment.16709517_1881838588727494_1387131506_o.pngccc.JPG

Thanks for the idea! We're currently focusing on higher priority projects. We are also planning on allowing better interoperability between Adobe products (Illustrator for example) and Fusion 360.  

12 Kudos

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this request/question.

With Fusion 360 becoming an all in one software for the creation of a product, will Fusion 360 eventually branch off to connect all its capabilities to collect data for a Fusion 360 job shop software to be used for estimating, purchasing, scheduling, data collection, shipping and accounting. Similar to the software E2.

Job shops are different than an OEM manufacturer and I believe Fusion is the perfect software for a job shop because it connects all our cutting/machining/design/cam/drawings/forming/fabricating capabilities to produce products for various customers across various industries.

We have converted our machine shop cam/design/drawing capabilities to Fusion 360 and my next step is once the sheet metal module rolls out is to covert our laser/water jet/plasma/2d cam/bending/fabrication drawings to Fusion 360 to have the entire shop under one software.

The final step (wish) would be to then have estimating,purchasing,scheduling,data collection, shipping/receiving and accounting under the same (similar) software for seamless integration.

Is there something in the Fusion 360 family that can do this or is this something being discussed to be created in the future?

5 Kudos

The magenta projected sketch features are really frustrating, the entire point of making separate sketches is to keep the sketches clean and clear. But you still need to reference external geometry and sketches. I thought the deselecting the "Auto project edges on reference" box in the preferences would solve this but so far it seems to make absolutely no difference.

The problem. Start a sketch, draw a circle, extrude to cylinder, start a new sketch, draw a rectangle, make an edge tangent, close sketch, hide the cylinder body. At this point the last sketch with the rectangle is the only thing showing, but it includes a projected circle from the original cylinder....WHY!!!!! This is such a frustrating issue, it makes me not want to use this software.

This does not happen in any of the other CAD package I've used, and there needs to be a way to turn it off. 

8 Kudos

Hey Fusion development team , 

All the updates that you have been giving users like us are incredibly amazing . Waiting for more updates for sheetmetal , etc.. 

Also my quick kind suggestion is for you to kindly please update the roadmap in this link

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-product-roadmap/bg-p/79

for atleast once in  3 months .. 

7 Kudos

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 4.28.37 PM.png

Imagine this scenario where you're required to move one of the component in that Rigid Group, it'll be a nightmare and time waster since we need to dig through the browser tree and then deselect the component/s we wanted to move, and after the move is done to reselect and place them back into the rigid group. So instead of doing all that, this will just add a toggle button where the user use the move tool to ignore any components constrained in a rigid group and it'll update the component position in the rigid group once the move operation is completed.
10 Kudos

Automatic logoff on quit

by Explorer steveberl on ‎12-23-2016 04:15 PM

At acemonstertoys.org we have Fusion 360 installed on a shared design workstation. Sometimes people forget to log off when they leave. It would be nice if there were an option to automatically log off the current user when quitting the program.

4 Kudos

It would be nice to be able to insert a part from Stock Drive Products the same way we are able to do so from MacMaster Carr.

6 Kudos

"Export on close..." in preferences

by Participant TigerCole on ‎12-08-2016 01:43 AM

The recent "Read only" bump was inconvenient but it happens, and at some time in the very distant future will probably happen again.

What would be nice to have is a "Preferences" option and configuration to "Export on close ..." that will create an f3d export of a new design or update/replace the existing file with changes when the design or F360 is closed in the user configured local location. The mechanics are already there because updates are saved to the cloud on close, this is just an additional transparent zero user input step. Then you have a local backup and it is very easy to sync a local folder to what ever cloud based storage you choose ... who doesn't have a Google drive, SkyDrive, OneDrive, DropBox  or multiples of the all of the above?

Maybe an additional user choice to have the f3d file updated with the existing autosave?

One of the main reasons for moving to F360 is because storage is primarily cloud based. I have a monster notebook that I usually work on but also have workstations dotted round the place that are always in sync ... because primary storage is in the cloud. Please don't change it, just expand a bit sideways-ish.

I can open recent designs from the cache but it was an older one, that yesterday of all days, I needed... if only I had had a f3d file to work from!!!

tC/.

1 Kudo

Stub Acme is an industry standard as well. It would be nice to have it included as a choice.

4 Kudos

The shape optimiser generates surfaces that give hints about how to make an optimal part, but they're incomplete and unusable without significant effort.

Typically, it generates something like this:

Capture d’écran 2016-11-28 à 13.06.15.png

It seems obvious that what's happening is that the mesh is being iteratively optimised but what would be great instead is to infer symmetries (or have the user specify them) and generate something smooth with whatever properties the user specifies to aid in manufacturability / satisfy other constraints

Capture d’écran 2016-11-28 à 13.39.07.png

8 Kudos

SAE J1926 O-Ring interfaces are the standard for the automotive aftermarket for most fluids and are used on everything from fuel injection to coolant hoses. 

As far as I can tell there is no quick way to accurately create this feature in Fusion. Its not sufficient to add a chamfer to a counterbored hole as this standard actually has two chamfers. The first chamfer is 12 or 15 degrees which then leads into a 45 to allow space for the o-ring to seats. 

II Much Fuel Vent 2.0 bottom view  1024x683.jpg

2 Kudos

I am aware that decals are mostly to add visuals and canvases for reference geometry, but decals have disadvantages for specific applications in adding visuals, while the crazy red border make sing Canvas impossible.

* decals are harder or precisely align or scale as they dependent on the geometry of the model, not just the plane. (Of course they even CAN'T be attached to planes.)

* decal center must be on the object. this means that if I have an object with a hole in the middle and a decal that's essentially a frame, I need to make the decal file asymetrical as a workaround so that the centers don't align 
* decals have reflections and wraps around hole and geometries, especially in transparent materials. what if I don't want that? (and I dont)
* sometimes you want to leave in a precisely sized background as a part of the visual instead of decal. for PCB models for example. 

So: I would LOVE to be able to hide the picture frame/border!

Thanks. 

4 Kudos

Add SketchUp to navigation options

by Explorer Seth789 on ‎05-29-2016 08:07 PM

Can you add Sketch Up to the list of navigation options?

I noticed Alias, inventor, and Solid Works navigation options in preferences.  However, they are all equally horrible if you're coming over from SketchUp to learn Fusion.  

Orbit : Hold down middle mouse button, drag mouse.

Pan: Hold down middle mouse + left mouse button, drag mouse.

Zoom: Roll the wheel (no change here)

No need to hold shift, just the mouse, just use one hand.  Trust me this is way better!

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Disto S-910 plugin (3d measurements)

by Explorer Seth789 on ‎05-31-2016 06:06 PM

Can someone with some skills make a plugin for the disto S-910 to work with Fusion 360?

If we model in 3d, It helps to be able to measure in 3d too.

Video shows the plug in for AutoCad.

Thanks

15 Kudos

Present folders and files in a simple way like in Windows

by Explorer scottericanderson on ‎06-24-2016 11:02 PM - last edited on ‎06-24-2016 11:03 PM |

This has bugged me ever since I first launched Fusion 360 which was like 2 years ago.  Didn't touch the software for about 1.5 years and recently opened it back up and this still bugs me.  The way files in Fusion are presented is simply too unconventional. 

But this isn't unconventional in a good way that adds any value.  There are these big Icon things.  And I can't read the file name because there isn't enough room for the text.  There is this preview image which could be 1/5th the size and I could still recognize the shape, but it takes up so much room I can read the text.  If I switch to list view, I have these big file chunk things stacked vertically.  Not the list I'm expected.   Again, not enough room to read the text.  Fusion is being too creative with the way files and folders are presented makes it unconventional which can make it hard to conceptualize what the content is (or prevent fundamental information like file names from being presented in exchange for big-bold text or big preview icons such that you can read the file name) and this is a problem.

And unconventional only hurts if it's trying to replicate something that has an accepted standard.  Just because I have the files on this new cloud storage thing doesn't mean I should have to look at files in a different way.  Cloud storage companies like Box and Dropbox had the same problem early on if I recall correctly.  Instead of standard Windows Explorer views like list-view, detail-view, etc., there were these different ways of presenting files.  Now the big file storage companies have an option (often times the default option) to show files in a basic way. Listing out files has been figured out a long time ago.  Windows XP --> Windows 7 --> Windows 10, the way files are presented are about the same. Files and folders are files and folders, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

So the suggestion is this:

Present a file view like Windows Explorer's file view.  This will make it easier for me to transition in and out of Fusion.

Hey there, thanks for your idea! We are currently working on an experience similar to Dropbox where you'll have a folder view into your Fusion 360 account. You'll be able to organize and browse your projects/designs just like how you would in Windows Explorer. Expect something like this to be available in the next couple of months. 

31 Kudos

Surface continuity improvement

by Contributor alandmarino on ‎07-07-2016 01:02 PM

Hi, i've found this issue when lofting surfaces. If the option "smooth" is activated, only surface continuity is ok, but not the edges. Here an example:

Thank you!

Alan.

Thank you for your idea, we have plans to better control edge continuity with our loft tool.  When work gets started this will be changed to future consideration.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Internal Tracking FUS-18087

0 Kudos

Component Level Selection Sets

by Advocate Matthew_Curran on ‎07-07-2016 10:28 AM

It would be great to add selection sets at a component level. This is because if a existing design is brought into a new file it will lose its selection sets. It is a huge waste of time to have to go back and recreate all selection sets each time. 

15 Kudos

I need to do a lot of pipe work and it would be wonderful if Fusion finally would be able in 2016 to add pipes to many sketch edges at once with one command.

for this type of work the current workflow is painfully slow and expensive time wise.

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to archived due to the nature of the request.  It may make sense for this to work in one sketch that is complainer, but there are restrictions that prevent us from using multiple non plainer sketches.

Regards,

Mike Prom

7 Kudos

make a copy of an object creates a move feature

align the copy adds another move feature

you can actually delete the first move feature after the paste of a copy

so why not combine move and align into one command anyway

14 Kudos

Center of Mass Highlighting

by Contributor benjaminkolligs on ‎08-13-2016 08:58 AM - last edited on ‎08-13-2016 09:04 AM |

My suggestion is simple: When clicking properties on a component in an assembly, there is a very helpful center of mass number. However, the number's themselves aren't always easy to discern, especially if the component isn't at the origin. So I suggest making an option (much like the XYZ Delta feature in "Measure".) that highlights and displays the center of mass so we can locate it visually. Maybe a big green dot, or like XYZ Delta, coordinate lines. 
Thanks, I hope you guys like it. 

1 Kudo

Mesh Import vs Insert Issue (Bug)

by Advocate lokiidesigns on ‎07-30-2016 04:03 PM

Not sure if this is a bug or not but when you import a mesh via the new Mesh Import feature and then go to drag & drop an STL into the same model the scales end up out of whack, even if it is the same file...I've attached screen-grab for reference and as you can see there is a difference in scale by a factor of about 10...

I found this when I tried to insert my files from within my Fusion 360 cloud project browser after having used the import mesh feature  in the new mesh work space.....really should allow drag and drop, that was one of the benefits of loading files up to the cloud in the first place rather than keeping them local.

5 Kudos

Computers and Accessories Category

by Advisor Beyondforce on ‎07-29-2016 05:04 AM

Hello Team,

It would be great to have a "Computers and Accessories" category in the Fusion 360 forum category.

In this forum, people can post questions and talk about computer specifications and recommendations, as well as Accessories.

F.x -

1 . I would like to build a computer mainly for Fusion 360, what parts should I be focus on? And parts recommendation from other Fusion 360 users.

2. Does Fusion 360 utilises Hyper-Threading?

I'm sure other users have many other questions. It will be great for people to share their experience and help others. :)

Cheers / Ben

8 Kudos

Find in Timeline

by Advocate mark2t on ‎07-22-2016 06:52 AM

I would like to add "Find in Timeline" to the dropdown list when right clicking. I know that sometimes a series of hash-marks will appear above the feature when selected, but not if the body you are inquiring about has been paced into a component. I would like the feature to scroll across into view along the timeline.

17 Kudos

Fusion 360 is unable to apply the same mirror command it can use for features and bodies to a sketch object ?!

The inside sketch mirror works good when you want to mirror it along the cplane of the sketch.

But if a sketch is at a rotated custom plane and you need to mirror that along a specific axis with a different rotation you cannot do that.

In my screenshot the sketch has to be mirrored along the Y axis to the left.

archiving due to lack of votes.

2 Kudos

Fusion crashes after closing

by Contributor connorvega1 on ‎05-11-2016 01:35 AM

Hi,

I believe this was happening on the mac version and it was fixed with the latest release. However now it's crashing on my PC. 

Also, after starting F360, the CPU load on my computer starts to spike for no apparent reason. 

Thanks

0 Kudos

Constrained parametric design seems like an awesome time saver.. but it's still brittle to the point of being unusable.

Here is a simple example of where it's broken.

1) create user defined parameters, width=64mm, depth=64mm, thickness=0.2mm, and bending_radius=1.5*thickness\

2) create a centered rectangle of dimensions width x depth

3) create a 2-point rectangle from the top-left corner to the top-right that extends upwards by PI*bending_radius/2

4) change the width to 50mm 

If this was part of a complex design, it'd break badly (the parameters might as well not be parameters)

Lets say for fun the user wants to find a work-around. They manually put in constraints, and try again, but to no avail.

They manually draw lines extending upward by PI*bending_radius/2 on either side and connect them with another line.

Looks good.

Now they change width to 50mm

The only thing that I've found that actually behaves reasonably is to put another centered-rectangle at the midpoint of the top line in the first, set its dimensions to width x 2* PI*bending_radius/2, but that is unnatural and leaves you with an extra line 

.. and if you delete that line and change the width to 50mm

zooming in shows there are still two parallel lines

but they're now separated by some random very tiny value that's definitely not PI*bending_radius/2

This is just one example of where parametrics break, but I've never been able to make parametrics work for anything nontrivial (read: more than a few geometric shapes).

This desperately needs to be fixed because in its current form, it's worse than useless because being there and listed as a feature, people might actually try to use them, and in a complex design, they'll at best break in a visible way (merely frustrating the user and wasting their time), and, at worst, they'll break in an invisible way and the user will spend money, time, and resources making something only to find that the geometry.is wrong (and wasting more time just debugging it).

33 Kudos

Improve versioning system

by Participant office on ‎04-28-2016 07:12 AM

Saving and creating new versions should be changed and separated. I think current solution when you save design and Fusion will automatically create a new version isn't good since versions are useful tool to go back and do revisions. Current behaviour will cause a lot of versions over small changes (or no changes at all if you for example click "Edit Sketch" and exit it without doing anything and then save) which is not useful.

What I would propose is the system where you save a file and Fusion will ask you if you want to create a new version from it (add an option like "Save as a new version"). That way it will save changes to current version by default (Ctrl+S) and if you want you can create a new version (i.e. Ctrl+Shift+S), add description and then continue to work on it.

Given the discussion above, and the things being worked on as mentioned by @charegb, we are archiving this idea for future reference.

1 Kudo

Stop adding/changing domains

by Collaborator DWhiteley on ‎04-26-2016 03:11 AM

Please do not alter the domians that you use?

Had this from a customer who was going to purchase a large number of licences:

"We have decided we won’t be renewing the Fusion licenses because of difficulties using it.

The product is fine and works well but it needs access to around 14 different domains which Autodesk keep updating / changing, this causes problems with our internet security settings which we are fed up with having to get our IT department to change.

We have gone back to using Inventor and a separate CNC product."

Dave Whiteley

Autodesk VAR

Archiving as this issue was taken offline

7 Kudos

Touch Screen Input

by Participant todd.sandercock on ‎06-09-2016 12:19 AM

Currently when using Fusion 360 in tablet mode on the Surface Pro 4 the pen/touch input works really well until values need to be entered for dimensions, etc or a command needs to be confirmed/cancelled.

When numerical input has context a popup numpad should appear on screen to allow input and then confirmation/discard without the enter/escape button not being available.

1 Kudo

When you add an idea to the Ideastation it is critical to get attention and votes. I suspect most visitors lurk mainly in this forum, not the ideastation, so most ideas are never seen by most forum users, amiright?

Idea: All IdeaStation ideas are automatically cross-posted to this board (design,validate & document) as well, so that the whole community can have a chance to review and vote. A link to the ideastation idea is automatically appended to the post....

ALSO: when you go to idea station, the view automatically switches to the "most Popular" ideas, creating a selection bias. Links to ideation must remain impartial and take you to the top of the list of all ideas. It's an ideas contest, not a contest of popularity...!

9 Kudos

I know the components have a little pastel color sliver on the left hand side, and it corrosponds with the color bar above it in the history bar. But it would be nice to make the entire component bar in the tree colored with a halo of sorts , so that we know we are working in that component. Maybe somehow signify it on the work area more obviously with the radio buttom in view in a persistent manner. I've been working on projects and have created a sketch in the component that is the parent to the component I really wanted to sketch in, and I have to redo the entire sketch then in the correct component. Its a great way to setup the work but gets cumbersome when Im in a train of thought and lose where Im at in the heirarchy.

13 Kudos

More Mature Software

by Explorer mariobbb1970 on ‎02-19-2016 04:48 PM

I my name is Mario Belanger senior mecanical engineer and beta tester for inventor since the begining, listen guys you have a diamond in your hand with FUSION 360 bring that software to another level PLEASE you NEED SHEET METAL, PROFESSIONAL DRAWING i dont no when you will make dose improovement but it is hard to use your software for professional engineering and my goal its to work with that software not in 2, 5, or 10 years you have to understand that Engineers need software like yours cause your are the future of CAD hope i will have awnsers to my question have a good weekend

@mariobbb1970, thanks for your post and your constructive comments. I'm archiving this because it contains multiple ideas. Please post your specific ideas individually so that the community can vote specifically and we can best communicate the state of new ideas back to you as they move through our production pipeline. 

Best,

Timera

3 Kudos

I'm using a little program that's most likely unkown and whatever I'm doing I can always abort just by pressing the escape key. The program stop what it's doing almost immediately. I supposed it is as fast as it take to clean up things.

I'd like to see something like this in Fusion 360.

Right now I'm waiting on F360 to do a sketch modification and propagate the result and I have no idea if it's chashed or not and especially if I'll be able to recover my work in case of a crash???

Thanks,

Yves

3 Kudos

more orbit improvements

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎03-02-2016 08:14 AM - last edited on ‎03-02-2016 08:16 AM |

Was very glad to see «Improved orbit behavior, the predictability & feel of 3D navigation is more closely align with other CAD packages. We now adjust the pivot point automatically based off of the view» in the release notes, and there is some improvement, but it's still putting the pivot in an odd place / behaving in weird ways and could stand a lot of improvement

If I zoom into a corner of a recessed cavity, unless I'm very careful to put the corner in the center of the window, any rotation will take the corner out of view. 

Accelleration for two fingered trackpad scrolling is such that if I zoom in at all, I have to go side to side and pick up my fingers well over a dozen times (counted; that's not hyperbole). Fingers going from one side of the trackpad to the other should translate the view almost a full screen. It takes four swipes side to side to move a screen width and six up / down to move a full screen height, which is crazy.

10 Kudos

I design primarily for 3D Printing output, with the print most often being the finished product. When I am submitting renders to clients for approval before beginning a print, it would be nice to have an Appearance texture that mimics FFF (FDM) extrusion lines in a manner similar to the 3D Wood Appearances.

Essentially, "side" faces would have stacked layer lines, while the "top" and "bottom" faces would have a solid infill pattern. Perhaps there could be a choice between a couple different "Top/Bottom" patterns (e.g. Rectilinear, Concentric, etc.), as well as an option to scale "Layer Height".

3 Kudos

Enable Extended Face Option for 'To' Termination

So that a cross section can be extruded to a face that doesn't completely intersect a 'to' surface.

10 Kudos

Measurement Tool Quick display

by Contributor jlotuaco on ‎01-23-2016 06:47 PM

Even though imrovements have been made recently to the measurement/Inspect tool, there is at least one more I can think of that would be great.  

In Soldworks, any time I select an edge or face, a basic measurement is displayed without any need to activate a separate tool.  If two edges or faces are selected, the normal distance is displayed.  This is extremely useful when I need to double check a measurement that I need to take into consideration when creating a new feature.  This is especially important when in sketch mode.  Not having to exit one tool and activate another saves a significant amount of time.  

This has been implemented. 

4 Kudos

Save

by Observer andynoyes on ‎01-30-2016 07:58 AM

Let me save files to my computer, not the cloud.

22 Kudos

Local Projects

by Explorer dg.crouse on ‎01-29-2016 03:38 PM

One major source of frustration with Fusion 360 has been the requirement to use cloud storage only. I propose a solution: Local Projects.

When creating a Local Project, instead of saving the files to the cloud, the user will select a local directory to use for the project. All of the part files will then be saved, in an industry standard format, directly to local storage.

This solves a number of problems that exist with the current cloud-only system:

1. Inability to work offline while maintaining organization
  2. Complete loss of productivity when Autodesk 360 is having issues (which is a frequent occurrence)
  3. Sync issues occurring after offline work
  4. Risk of not having files when choosing to work offline on an old project that no longer resides on local storage
  5. Performance issues related to cloud saves/loads
  6. Maintaining local backups of files (assuming the user understands backup)
  7. Confidentiality issues where certain requirements prevent saving designs to any remote cloud service

This solution fits in well with Fusion 360's workflow, which revolves around Projects. Local Projects would behave exactly like Cloud Projects, except they would not have access to sharing features. Local Projects could be converted to Cloud Projects, which could be converted back to Local Projects. When converting a Cloud Project to a Local Project, any existing sharing would be disabled (after warning the user of course). Also, when creating a Local Project, the user could be warned that they are responsible for maintaining backups. (The warning could of course be suppressed in the future, but they would see it at least once).

Archiving - This topic has been discussed multiple times. Here is a link to Kevin's post explaining why we are building Fusion the way we are:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/saving-a-project-locally/m-p/6323217#M55518

Thansk,

Bankim

1 Kudo

Following the January 23rd update, the following was done -

Updated Public Share Page Layout

This updated page for getting the public share link to your designs makes it easier to access your 3D datasets. We also made performance and quality improvements on how the models show up in the 3D viewer, with better lighting, shading and more accurate material representation. 

However when you copy or embed a link, it leads you to the old style layout with the tedious "List View" box showing which quite frankly gets in the way.

Will you be bringing the new layout to the subsequent pages?

2 Kudos

properly drafted fillets

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎10-28-2015 01:38 PM

This is a fun surprise for when you're making molded plastic parts.

If you have two drafted faces that come together at a corner then you make a fillet there, the draft angle on the fillet isn't the same as the draft on the faces. 

This can end badly if you're unlucky.

Thank you for your idea, this is getting archived due to lack of votes.  Our focus right now is not on plastic part features, when it is we will look into complete workflows.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

35 Kudos

Duel Use Monitors

by Advocate sextant08 on ‎10-24-2015 06:06 AM

I am working on a fairly busy assembly of a machine. On other CAD programs that I use, I usually have the main assembly on one monitor while working on single part or sub-assemblies on the other. Keeping one eye on the big picture and one on the little helps move design work along much more efficiently. In Fusion 360, this does not seem possible. I can open a second instance of F360 but interactivity is disabled which defeats the purpose. Using tabs in a single window is less efficient; for instance, measuring positions of geometry on parts within the main assembly - the inspection window remains open where data can be referenced easily. Tabbing across many parts or sub-assemblies it's easy to forget the information you just looked at. If one monitor could be used to show that main assembly, the other could be used to work on subs or parts without loosing sight of the main.

Would be nice to see duel use monitor capability in the next version of F360..

3 Kudos

Having Active Component Visibility enabled in Preferences is super helpful for insuring proper the component is activated -- only the active component is not ghosted, and therefore naturally new features generated from what one is working on will be sent into proper component folder in the Browser tree.  However, often one would like to see all or multiple components together/not ghosted at once, to get a sense for things.  The only efficient way to do this now is to activate the root component.  But I've found this often leads to forgetting to then activate a lower component again, which can cause all kinds of problems of features going into wrong root component and then once later realizing this requiring trying to restructure/move them into proper components, which causes considerable trouble for such things as Paste New later on. 

Sometimes you can visibility tell that root component is activated by noticing nothing is ghosted.  But if more zoomed in to an area, often no other component is even in sight to be ghosted or not. 

Ideally, it would not be possible to create new features while this temporary preview mode is active, such that again don't forget to turn it off and potentially result in features going into wrong components due to the ghosting being disabled.  I also don't know where exactly such a preview mode would be located, perhaps under the Inspect tab.  But I do know it would be super helpful!

Thanks,

Jesse

7 Kudos

Fusion 360 on LinuxCNC os

by Contributor RobertThresher on ‎11-27-2015 02:27 PM

Fusion is an awsome product, and I'm really enjoying it!   But as I bring my Gantry Mill (Y6 ft x X6.5 ft x Z1.5 ft)  out of design and into build, I often think how useful it would be to have a Linux varient of Fusion360 that would run on LinuxCNC http://linuxcnc.org/  

Fusion is Very powerful, and having it run on my cnc center would be so awsome.  (No VM as this is almost Realtime linux.) Just think, having to make a quick mod of ANY of my drawings, then back to LinuxCNC (EMC2) to run the code.  All on the same box, instead of going back to my mac, or windows.  Those OS's live in my office.  Yes there are windows tools that could run my mill.  But frankly they cost money, and don't open up like LinuxCNC.  

Linux CNC does comand a good portion of the home brew market, and they're also found in many complex markets as well.  Developers and manufactures like it' 

I can only think of one thing that would make this idea even cooler.... For Autodesk to get directly involved with LinuxCNC development. After all, Autodesk makes and maintaines some of the very best, and coolest software on the market! 

Thanks for considering our ideas.  

Archived due to lack of votes.

1 Kudo

Selection preview intensity adjustability

by Enthusiast owenhooker on ‎12-27-2015 11:44 AM

I would like to see the ability to change the intensity and color of the selection preview when hovering over geometry.  I prefer to use a dark background and the selection preview highlighting is very bright and distracting to me. The problem is especially bad when zoomed in close on geometry and large sections of the viewport flash as the mouse hovers from one face to the next. I think it would be useful to have the ability to adjust how bright this affect is or turn it off completely.

Thank you for your idea, this is getting archived due to lack of votes.

Regards,

Mike Prom

16 Kudos

Hi,

Why do we have to break the link to inserted components to make an assembly cut, hole, fillet, etc. that goes through all or selected components?  There are many times in a production situation when you assemble, then drill or cut multiple components - say a weldment.  You still buy the component as designed, then modify the assembly.  By breaking the link, you can't later modify the component by itself and have it update in the assembly.  SolidWorks, ProE/Creo, Catia, and many other CAD programs have the ability to make assembly features.

I've only been using Fusion for a little while and it's a great idea and concepting tool, but without features like this, it'll be tough for it to become production software.

Thanks,

Steve

This is a good idea, we've captured it with our team, and this is definitely something we want to get to. It is a very large project and will require a lot of work to get it done right. We will prioritize this accordingly and keep you posted. 

13 Kudos

prevent / cancel Fillet preview calculation

by Mentor on ‎03-16-2016 11:36 AM

when you deal with many fillets 300+

Fusion has 2 serious issues.

Well 300 edges take some time so I dont call that an issue

BUT

1. selecting 300 edges takes ages in Fusion makes it unresponsive and when you then browse the web and FUsion is ready and you write and email Fusion gain mouse / window focus and you enter your email text into the fillet radius value!

2. the calculating the value takes  a long time, one error and you wait again a painful amount because you cannot foce to stop the preview generation

so we need a way to quit fillet or stop it calculating the preview geometry!

I believe today when you apply a fillet it starts at 0. There's more work being done to the Fillet command to make it perform better this year. 

6 Kudos

Faster uploads and downloads

by Advocate burnandreturn on ‎11-20-2015 11:53 PM

One of the biggest drawbacks to using Fusion 360 is the slow uploads and downloads of anything to do with Fusion360.

Evern this website loads and updates at a snails pace.  although I don't have a blazingly fast internet connection it works fine with every other online expirience.

A friend of mine asked me to check out OnShape for him.  My experience so far has been very good.  No crashes and everything is cloud based and it runs fine and is fast.   So if you insist on living in the clouds then it can be done and be not a terrible expirience if it is fast enough.

Trying to import  models from other software into Fusion is taking way too long.   I asked a question recently on the forum on how to cancel uploads that I have tried just because it takes way way too long and is not reliable.   Fusion often crashes or just stagnates with uploads.

I find myself closing out of the program because it is so slow to transfer to and from the cloud.  I don't know if it is just the sheer numbers of users that is bogging down the servers but something is not right.

Maybe you should ask FaceBook how they handle the server loads!

1 Kudo

Hi,

I suggest that save captured images to tiff format actually would benefit from creating images in layers. Separate background, ground shadows, ground reflections and objects on each their layer would be really nice.

Righ now, I dont see the benefit of saving to tif at all.

/Henrik

4 Kudos

I would love to have something I had in Cobalt- the ability to step the view in defined increments along an axis, so I could rotate the view easily and precisely only along an X, Y, or Z axis. In Cobalt the View Cube equivalent had a "step" mode, similar to the Fusion orthographic views but with much finer gradations.   Also the ability to save and name specific views.

This is very useful when you are trying to evaluate complex shapes with few flat planes. 

5 Kudos

As is, there are a couple different paste behaviors for copying a component in Fusion.

"Paste" makes a fully associative copy of the component: any modifications to the original will be reflected in the copy and vice versa.

"Paste New" makes a partially associative copy of the component: any modifications to the original that occur in the timeline BEFORE the copy are reflected in the copy, but any changes to the original that come AFTER the copy in the timeline are not reflected in the copy.

I propose a third paste behavior: "Paste Unassociative". "Paste Unassociative" makes a copy of the original in which NO changes in the original before or after the copy feature in the timeline are reflected in the copy, and vice versa.

This is especially useful if you have a template component driven by some user parameters and want to make several coexisting versions of the template each with different parameter values. This behavior can be acheived by exporting the comonent as a .SAT and reimporting it or by importing it into a different design and then breaking the link with the original design, but neither of these solutions are particularly clean or elegant.

4 Kudos

properly drafted shelling

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎12-30-2015 02:20 PM

Making walls uniformly thick helps a lot with injection molding.

Shell seems like it'd be a great tool to help with this, but it has a lot of issues that prevent it from being usable in practice for nontrivial designs. 

Imagine that for whatever reason we have a corner that has a 5º draft expanding downward so it can be released from a mold on top.

If we shell this from the top, it does exactly what it says and creates a uniform thickness wall

The problem is that if we do that, the inner wall expands downward with 5º of draft. Assuming there is something on the bottom that prevents us from molding in this way and we also can't place the mold below and reverse the draft of the outer wall accordingly, it's impossible to make a releasable mold for this design.

It'd be great to have something that generates a shell with maximum / minimum wall thicknesses but also enforcing drafting design rules so we could get something like this 

[interior and exteror 5º draft so it's thicker at the bottom than the top but still moldable from the top and better than a solid hunk of plastic.

1 Kudo

A Drag and Drop option for choosing the JPGs for canvas could speed up the workflow.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Edit pattern

by Advocate Rafmongelos on ‎12-28-2015 04:31 PM

This is a very needed option! The possibility to change the patterned pattern on the tree history! Is incredible, that you overlooked it.

Change the shape, quantity or distance from the elementes, which compons a pattern is extremly important, Please implement this on the next release!

Thanks! 

3 Kudos

Deform tool por 2D objects

by Advocate Rafmongelos on ‎01-08-2016 06:54 AM

I really don't know if something like this is possible, but I could be amazing.

As the picture below, I have an object with is make as a 2D extruded object with little canals. This is thought to be printed and after that deformed with hot water. Could be possible to simulate the deformation (an inner curvature, which brings nearer the canals as an U). Something like an deformation function for 2D objects.

If this all alredy exist, please tell who can I do this, because on the Sculpt Enviroment I could select my component to deform it.

Thanks

1 Kudo

Redimension of workspace

by Advocate Rafmongelos on ‎01-04-2016 03:51 PM

On a Mac 13,3 Display, the Workspace is extremly thin, under the Render Area. The Turorial Panel, the Apparence panel, the Browser, The navigation Bar and the Render gallery make the space where the object (the real important thing on the screen) is compressed and makes difficult the task to drag and drop materials, makes changes or simply see the model.

Please thing about wich elements could be smaller, or a redesing of the panels.

Thanks

4 Kudos

rigid body dynamics

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎07-08-2014 01:38 AM

I'm not sure how many people will have a use for this but for us it'd be extremely useful to be able to quickly setup rigid body simulations (including gravity). Even better would be a simple way to script actuators or to connect those and sensors to an external program.

Thank you for idea - this is getting archived due to lack of votes.

2 Kudos

The Split command in time line allows me to split Breps and later I can select the results and delete them.

But it would be nice to simply like in Rhino/Alias have a trim command which simply allows me to have

an option to tell Fusion what to keep and what to discard as well.

This would slim down my time line.

For this simple shell I have already more feature entries than needed in Fusion compared to Rhino.

As you can see I just select the surfaces and tell Rhino to make a solid - which is a combination of trim and join all at once.

Of course it is great to have just a plain trim/split command as well but like in this situation it is not ideal in its current form.

This is a basic model and with more steps the timeline will get longer unnessesary.

Maybe like Rhino Fusion should get a make solid command as well.

Advanced Modeling

10 Kudos

NGON obj export support

by Mentor on ‎05-23-2014 09:09 AM

Fusions OBJ export only supports tries making it look more like an STL export.

For rendering this produces heavy meshes.

compare this with MOI which meshes with NGONs

I think this is similar to another Idea Station request. It is something for which we have an assigned task and so should be coming in the future. Regarding rendering I would imagine the quads will still be reduced to triangles for rendering purposes regardless of the quad display however the quads are needed for compatible modeling activities. Thanks http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/T-spline-box-object-exporting-to-OBJ/...
0 Kudos

It seems that saving lots of versions to avoid data loss can actually lead to annoyance (if not data loss).

As far as I can tell, the versions appear to be getting pushed into cloud storage and the timeline in chronological order. When the snapshots are large (and presumably on slow or unreliable networks or in the presence of other issues are present) those uploads can be extremely slow (order of minutes per version).

If some user has had a long and frustrating several days fighting with a crashy app then they might become very distressed and frustrated by seeing a long list of outdated versions of their work after the app crashes and is restarted and crashes on load and restarts and crashes one more time for good measure and restarts again (purely hypothetically speaking, of course).

Such a user might begin to wonder if they can really trust the app and cloud storage's data integrity and they might begin conducting experimental tests of the aerodynamicity of MacBook Airs.

One possible way to mitigate such a situation would be to preferentially upload the most recent version and then upload previous versions in reverse chronological order (ideally just uploading smaller compressed deltas from the last successful upload to ensure that file size is more reasonable)

9 Kudos

Mechatronics simulation

by Advisor roambotics_scott on ‎05-14-2015 09:15 AM

Something like http://www.mscsoftware.com/product/adams would be incredibly useful and probably much easier to build than FAE and other simulators.

The ideal for me would be something where we could build a mechanical design, setup sensors and actuators, link that stuff to a controller simulation, press a button and have it work. It'd be insanely awesome if you could do that and have a reasonable expectation that whatever was built out of it would actually work as simulated without much tuning.

Thank you for your idea - this is getting archived due to lack of votes.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

5 Kudos

mirror / array construction plane

by Mentor on ‎05-02-2015 03:04 PM

would be nice if you could mirror a consturction plane and also arry them

Thank you for your idea - this is getting archived due to lack of votes. 

Cheers,

Mike Prom

1 Kudo

Before Fusion 360 was available, I tried out Autodesk's "123D Beta" which appeared to be the predecessor to Fusion 360.  It had a "Full Navigation Wheel" which I thought was very useful (see attached image).  Besides letting you navigate with only your mouse, it had other cool features such as "Rewind" that let you scroll through a series of selectable thumbnail views of your movement history, which was great when working with complex models and assemblies.  Is there a chance it will be incorporated into Fusion 360, even if it is just a selectable option?

Also, the RMB menu in 123D Beta included "Turntable" which created a customizable model rotation animation with ".avi" export (even though I had some troubles exporting).  This would be very handy, especially when sending a 3D design to non-design people for visualization, without requiring them to have a CAD system to view the animated model.

Thank you for idea - this is getting archived due to lack of votes. 

11 Kudos

Axis Labels

by Enthusiast HanswurstNC on ‎03-05-2014 02:38 PM

How about color coding the entry boxes with the same colors as the axis lines? When I'm presented with the Move dialog box, I never know which axis is which. If you either made the titles in the diolog box match the color of the axis in the drawing or put a small x, y or z on each axis in the drawing it would make things much easier to see.

Thanks

Hanswurst

we have added this to our backlog and will be evaluating the solution and any extenuating implications on the experience to make sure it's the right one.  Look for this in upcoming updates.

hope this helps.

9 Kudos

Fusion 360 for Chromebooks?

by Explorer triops124 on ‎06-03-2013 07:52 PM

Is it possible to add a capability for Fusion 360 to run on chromebooks, as opposed to just Mac or PC?

19 Kudos

Ray tracing GPU?

by Advocate McSquizzy on ‎07-13-2015 02:43 PM

Are there any plans to shift Ray Tracing from CPU cores to GPU cores? With 1,500 GPU cores you could probably parallel process the rays faster than on 4 CPU cores. 

We will be releasing local background rendering in an upcoming release.

9 Kudos

Support scaling at 250% (and higher?)

by Participant danielealbright on ‎06-20-2015 09:06 AM

I'm using a Dell M3800 workstation with a 4K touchscreen. The default scaling is 250%. I know you guys support 200% but if I change my computer settings for that it makes all my programs (including Fusion) run too small, but Fusion360 is very distorted/unreadable at 250%. 

9 Kudos

Fix Tools

by Advocate gabriele on ‎10-16-2015 02:58 AM - last edited on