Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole Wizard

Hole Wizard

It would be fantastic if Fusion could adapt fastener sizing into the "Hole" feature. For example, I want to add a countersink for an M3 fastener. This is a simple dropdown selection in SolidWorks. Fusion requires me (unless I'm missing something) to look up the fastener geometry, and manually enter everything myself.

Please add this feature!

60 Comments
wdannhardt
Enthusiast

I can't believe Fusion lacks this feature.  Absolutely fundamental for machine design.

aron
Contributor

How about having the ability to make a threaded hole in a body in one command instead of having to create a hole then threading that hole.

ah.fathy
Contributor

Dear Sir

I think Hole Wizard Need some modification as many counter bore holes and countersink holes depends on standard bolts and the dimensions of them related to each other after many years using inventor i used to get the standard hole dimension for this screws from the wizard so please consider this important as this in any mechanical design is very essentials.

dhole-fusion.jpgInventor-Hole.jpg

Tags (2)
schneik-adsk
Community Manager

My wish...

Mechanical Holes.png

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

@aron,

Thank you for your idea, I am going to merge this with hole wizard idea due to the nature of the request.  I have a project slated for next year that would provide a solution two both ideas.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Anonymous
Not applicable

The most atractive feature of SolidWorks is it's Hole Wizard Manajer durinf 3D design, and Hole CallOut during drawings.

I think that, to compete against Dessault Systems, something similar like Hole Wizard and Hole CallOut would be a usefull feature, making of Fusion 360 a most competitive software CAD/CAM

Thanks! 

gmdimarzio88
Collaborator

I would love to see threads as an optinon within the hole command menu. Saving the extra step would help workflow. Also, being able to get thread pitch from the inspect- measure tool would also be amazingly helpful, instead of having to edit the feature to find the thread pitch

promm
Alumni

@gmdimarzio88,

The team is starting work on this now.  We will see some enhancements later this year.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

gmdimarzio88
Collaborator

Can't wait!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to add to this.  As Fusion drawings improves this would be a great enhancement.  Currently we can dimension holes but from my experience it seems limited to only that.  It seems that the hole size only is linked to the drawing and not the feature depth.  I have to go and reference the model to get the hole depth.  If the model feature depth is changed the drawing just can't be "refreshed".  The depth call out needs to be physically changed.  Implementing a "hole wizard" of some sort would be great!  Even be better if it could recognized cosmetic threads too from the model and have it show up on the drawing without having to type in all of the info.

Implementing this would greatly reduce drawing creation time.  🙂

screencast link

n.schotten
Advocate

For the development team... look at how it's done in Inventor with it's clearance option to link the geometry to several norm sized holes, as well as making threaded holes.

As for clearance countersunk holes, there are norms for the size of countersink drill diameter. and you end up with a shallow cylindrical cut, then the countersink and then the rest of the hole. Countersinking to just that right diameter will have your bolt sitting proud of the surface. Using an oversized countersink will make the countersink way to big in diameter in order to get the bolt to sit flush or under the surface. And that is not how a proper machinist, and engineer, would do it.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

The team has started work on adding threads to holes, which will also add standard sizes for holes.  This is a large project for us and will take some time.

Cheers, 

Mike Prom

Anonymous
Not applicable

When adding a hole to a part, there should be an option to pick a pre-dimensioned hole based upon standard drill sizes. For example, if I want to make a clearance hole for a 1/4-20 bolt, I shouldn’t have to know or look up that that is a .27” hole, I should just be able to choose clearance hole for 1/4-20. The same should apply for tapped holes, counterbores, and countersinks. 

This is is something that Solidworks does really well, and saves us time in design. My company cannot switch to Fusion 360 until this issue is fixed, and we don’t have time to write a script to do it for us. 

Tags (1)
Peteous
Contributor

Basically just piling on, but this is a critical feature for my company in a CAD software. We were considering switching to Fusion 360, but this prevented us from doing so. 

gmdimarzio88
Collaborator

This should have been put in day 1. Since it wasn't, is there a timeline on getting this added in? Lately the Fusion 360 updates have had very minor, and sometimes useless for most. 

araugh
Enthusiast

I was a bit disappointed to see this wasn't in today's update. Sheet metal is great, but this tool is essential for a good workflow.

gmdimarzio88
Collaborator

Agreed. I'm surprised sheet metal got that many votes. The hole wizard is a much more widely used feature that all other CAD systems worth their salt have. 

araugh
Enthusiast

I'm still in the process of transitioning from solidworks and continue to find certain omissions from Fusion very frustrating, despite how excellent that part creation interface and workflows are.

Promm, is the intention to link the hole wizard you folks are in the process of creating to drawings as well so we can have a simple hole callout tool? The lack of a hole callout tool makes drawings take much, much longer than they really need to.

Thank you.

It would be great if the hole dialog could have an option for self tapping screws. The Counterbore hole is great, but it would be neat to have a third diameter for a countersunk self tapping screw. The second diameter needs to be big enough so that the screw does not cut in the first object being screwed in. The third diameter would be a smaller diameter for the "core" of the self tapping screw that goes into the other object being screwed together. It's possible to do this with two holes in the same place, but it would be neat to do that with a single operation.

daleFFXHA
Explorer

When is this coming?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report