Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole Wizard

Hole Wizard

It would be fantastic if Fusion could adapt fastener sizing into the "Hole" feature. For example, I want to add a countersink for an M3 fastener. This is a simple dropdown selection in SolidWorks. Fusion requires me (unless I'm missing something) to look up the fastener geometry, and manually enter everything myself.

Please add this feature!

60 Comments
abender33
Contributor

It would be fantastic if Fusion could adapt fastener sizing into the "Hole" feature. For example, I want to add a countersink for an M3 fastener. This is a simple dropdown selection in SolidWorks. Fusion requires me (unless I'm missing something) to look up the fastener geometry, and manually enter everything myself.

Please add this feature!

Tags (4)
promm
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装予定

brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

abender33
Contributor
Any updates about integrating this feature into a future version?
james.thornburgh
Explorer

Yes, This is a standard feature in Inventor also, and desperatly needed here. 

RobbGodshaw
Contributor

I wanted this today. I had to google for free-fit hole sizes.

This is a must. It would be great if it was linked to threaded holes that are coaxial with it, assuming fastener size.

Helmi74
Collaborator

Just some while ago we had someone demoing what he made for Fusion360. It was a feature that added complete fastener sets (hole, screw, nuts). Unfortunately i haven't heard of this anymore though it yet looked quite complete in the demo.

abender33
Contributor

@Helmi74, Sounds like the feature is almost ready then, hopefully they release it soon.

O.Tan
Advisor

Yeah, there's this thing called bolted connection, it was quite a while ago so I'm surprised no word of it for quite a long time

seanfou
Contributor

This is a very basic feature for assemblies and especially for simulation.

The feature should also allow for custom input of fasteners so that vendors and companies can add in the functionality of their unique fastening systems.  Inventor for instance has great functionality if you want to use pretty generic stuff, but often the sizing for countersink features and such are WRONG (particularly for washers) if you rely on Inventor's presets.

Unlike Inventor (my experience ends at 2013, so if this has changed then thank goodness for Inventor users), bolts should not be huge machine hogs or mess up simulation.  If an equivalent is needed when moving the view or working with assemblies or running simulation, just populate it and only render the nice pretty bolts as a background process.

TrippyLighting
Consultant

This is one of the many many small productivity enhancing features in SW that Fusion could use as well. Not great eye catching features bit stuff that makes day-to-day operation more efficient.

dandonegan
Enthusiast

I design mostly machinery and the lack of this functionality infusion is the the main reasonone that I can't even think about giving up my solid Works license.

It seems crazy in this day and age that I would need to look at a table to import bolt dimensions into a program that is so sophisticated.

dan

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

kellings
Advisor

You guys are killing me here. This is one of those things that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

dandonegan
Enthusiast

For now can we skip the whole being able to import specific bolts and at least be able to put the hole in the part without having to have a tap drill chart glued to our desk? If I could just select "tap drill m6" for example. Or "clearance hole m6 flathead". You can go ahead and add more sophistication later.

doenute
Explorer

Some version of the comments above is very high on my priority list.  It should just be a simple look-up/drop down list like Inventor...then, hold your hat, bring that detail over to the 2D drawing automatically when the hole is dimensioned.

leosmirnov
Explorer

needed!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

A "smart fastener" update would really be a great upgrade for Fusion.

Is this planned for any upcoming updates?

dandonegan
Enthusiast

I find the absence of this feature the most frustrating part of fusion. Are there just not a lot of people designing things with holes in them?

Could someone from Autodesk comment on the status of this being implemented.

It really gets old looking up in the chart the dimensions of a counter sunk bolt head.

dan

jppoirier79
Explorer

Hello All,

Looks like the Hole Wizard function is the most desired addition to Fusion! Please refer to Future Consideration thread called Bolted Connection for Fusion. Most likely, this will be the name in Fusion. Looks like it was worked on in 2014 and then last year moved to future consideration. If the combine the 133 votes of this thread to the 171 votes of the other thread, this is by far the most desired function. And from what we can see on the Youtube work-in-progress presentation from 2014 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KaSAqCgvT0), looks like they were on a very good path.

Please vote for Bolted Connection for Fusion!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report