Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gave it another try.

Gave it another try.

First of all, I am coming from Autocad P3D.  ( no inventor knowledge )

This program is incredibly user hostile.

Slow, simply annoying to try to use.

Having to upload any model you want to work on?  One of the biggest problem of cloud based software.

If I want to work on an existing model, I have to upload it.. wait.. try to work on it ( haven't worked yet, can't rotate?!,

then download it again... waste of time for me.

Just trying to re-create a very simple model - few cones and rounded edges - over 10 minutes and gave up.  Would have taken me literally 10 seconds in autocad.

Basically I gave up and most likely will never use this again.  I am very very glad I still have Inventor fusion 2013 if I need to convert file types.

On the positive list, it has some really cool features that would make workflow in autocad go a lot faster / smoother.. but unfortunately I will never really get to see them in fusion 360 because it's just too hostile from a knowledge base based on autocad.

I would like to give it a good try... but I just can't get over how counterintuitive it is to the workflow I have established with autocad. ( I assume ( not making an **** out of you and me ) that the workflow goes very well with inventor? )

6 Comments
keqingsong
Community Manager

Hello John, 

Thanks for reaching out to us, and sorry to hear about your frustrations. I may know why you have been struggling so much with using Fusion 360 (but if I'm wrong, please totally correct me and let's work on getting you up and running). 

Fusion 360 is the evolution of what Inventor Fusion has become. One of the major differences between the two solutions is that Inventor Fusion is purely a direct modeler whereas Fusion 360 is the combination of direct modeling, organic sculpting and patch creation all in one, wrapped in a colloborative environment known as your dashboard (where you sign in with your Autodesk 360 account). 

When you create your first design from the dashboard, the default design environment you get into is the sculpt environment. This is where sculpting technology by T-Splines (now owned by Autodesk) lives, and it allows you create organic shapes and smooth curves within minutes. 

Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 3.15.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 3.39.08 PM.png

By toggling from sculpt to model, you can go straight into solid modeling without opening another window or application. In the model environment, you'll see familiar tools that also exists in Inventor Fusion 2013. Therefore, creating a cone in the modeling environment would much easier than creating a cone in the sculpt environment. Could this be why you found it nearly impossible to make a cone?

One of the advantages of cloud data storage is that you can translate various file formats for import and for export without using your local computing resources. 

Here is a video demonstrating how to import a step file into your existing design. You can also import SAT, IGES, IPT, DWG, etc (and soon, STL as mesh geometry for t-splines editing). You can also export to STL, SAT, STEP, SMT, IGES, inventor 2014, DWG, DXF or Fusion native format, F3D. 

Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 3.16.27 PM.png

The other advantage is that you can better keep track of your design versions without having the need to save multiple files. If there is a version you'd like to roll back to, simple promote it to the lastest and work from there. 

Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 3.16.27 PM.png

Let me know if this was helpful, and if there anything else you need help with.

Cheers!

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

JohnHolder
Collaborator

I agree it has potential.  and I was in modeling, left sculpt right away since I rarely use meshes.

Just for an example, make a cone in autocad.

click cone, radius/diameter for base width, drag/enter height.. then I can enter in or drag the top radius to the size I need.  10 seconds tops.

make a cone in fusion 360.  no cone option ( the simplest option is missing )

so now I have to sketch or loft or whatever.  

the ONLY reason I kept inventor fusion was for file conversions.

the main problem I am having, is that the layout and workflow is as far from autocad as you can get, with having the same parent company.  Just a very simple primative was so frustrating, I had to walk away.

when I uploaded a model, and waited.... then I opened it up, it was rotated 90 deg fusion would NOT let me reorientate it at all.  Again, had to just shut it down.

It just seems directly aimed at inventor, and only inventor with a big finger up at autocad users.

Maybe I am just having issues with the workflow?  but it's enough of an issue, that 99.9% of the work I do, is simply faster and easier in autocad.  Not just the work, but any workflow.

It is like learning solidworks for minor projects when you have been using P3D/autocad for a decade.  the workflow is so different, why bother trying to learn two programs.

I really hate to just dump on fusion 360, alot of the features look really impressive and I can see how it could be very powerful.  I would just love to see more intergration with existing products.  Continuity.  Right now there is none.

heck even the mouse orbit is different than in autocad. all the little things are gettn to me.

keqingsong
Community Manager

Gotcha, thanks for taking the time to let us know your side of the story. It is definitely helpful for us to see where our users' pain points are so that we can make the best software out there. Fusion 360 is a continuously evolving product, with frequent updates that are very customer driven. This is only the beginning.

With that said, Fusion 360 is fundamentally different from AutoCAD and our other core products for that exactly what you mentioned: its a different way to design; it is a different workflow. It bridges the gap between industrial design and freeform sculpting with precision solid modeling that engineers can use and make designs manufacturable. 

I recommend you take a look at our learning center as well as our YouTube channel. There are some good content there to give you an idea how to start certain workflows. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be glad to help. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/AutodeskFusion360/videos?flow=grid&view=1

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/resources

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

JohnHolder
Collaborator

Been a while since we conversed.  I have picked up solidworks and then inventor,  I do quite a bit of modeling of our equipment in inventor 2016 now for P3D.  I may have another look at fusion 360.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report