Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form Tools & custom Tools for CAM

Form Tools & custom Tools for CAM

We need the ability to design custom form tools with user defined profiles, such as endmills or step drills/reamers. The system should be able to display the tools form as well as the material removed when simulating. An option for lathe tools would be beneficial as well, such as user designed profile/boring bar with defined angles allowing the tool to be used on both sides of centerline when profiling. Competitor CAM systems have this ability and the lack of these features in Fusion have kept me from converting 100% for my CAM needs thus far

12 Comments
JerryLJr
Enthusiast

At our shop we often use custom tools whether it's a radius cutting with a very short end or a slotted end mill or a cut down taper end mill we use a variety of modified tools. When it comes to actually programing for these tools, however, it can offten become confusing as I have to find cheats to trick the CAM into run the tool as though the geometry of the tool were as it would be when modified even though in the CAM the tool is just a simple end mill or standard radius cutting and it has caused some problems a few times mainly with the radius cutters. So as a solution i find that it would be very much quicker and easier if the user were able to create a custom blank tool based off of current tool types and have more variables added to modify geometry (which would work in the case of the taper mill or radius cutters) or/ also if a tool could be modeled as any other object, but could then be inported into the tool library as a tool and just tell the CAM where the flute ends and how far the tool sticks out of the holder. Would love to see something like this at some point in the future. It'd make my job and I assume many others' much easier.

Great program, keep up the good work.

CarlM89
Advocate

Yes, custom tool geometry is something that I need as well.

ARTHUR-HM
Collaborator

THIS. For sure.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Yes, the need here is effectively the same as this idea, so we're merging it. We are working on this and will keep you posted on our progress. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/form-tools-amp-custom-tools-for-cam/...

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

This is something that we've been meaning to do for a while, since we already have this feature in HSMWorks and Inventor HSM. We are exploring some workflow options since Fusion handles data differently, but this is definitely coming in the near future.

eod9910
Contributor

Does near future mean in my lifetime?

cj.abraham
Alumni

Yes

ballsopECAM
Enthusiast

Hi all....

For SURE this would be very beneficial .... I work in the Tool and Mold industry and have for 39 years now..... Lot's of different software's that i have worked with but not too many that support "Form Tools" or "Custom Shaped" tooling.... Powermill and MasterCam are two that come to mind that do support this tool shape...

Big thing in the cutting world right now is a tool that is referred to as a "Barrel Cutter" or "Circle Segment" cutter that is shaped like a pineapple on a stick if you know what i mean.... Picture a multi-flute spiral fluted end mill that has a expanding bulge on the lower portion of the flute length.... if you were to look at a side profile of my body you would know exactly what i mean.... LOL.

The tooling suppliers have been pushing this style of cutter as solution to mill tapered walled part in 3 axis mode or straight walled parts using a tipped tool axis on a 5 axis machine. The large sweeping radius on the side of the cutter is generally in contact with the work piece and not the full length of the cutter allowing larger more aggressive step downs on deep walls ... 8:1 improved machine times with remarkable results ....

So if Fusion 360 can work on getting this feature incorporated into the code that would definitely "raise the bar and tick the box" for my needs and i'm sure many others as well..... 

Maybe a 2D Profile imported from a DXF file revolved about a tool center line would cover a lot of shapes that people could model in the Sketcher .... and if it is done in the Fusion Sketch tool that would be a direct import into the CAM module.....

Speak up and it will help to bring this into the next release....

Luv this software more and more each day....

Brian.

voxelmfg
Explorer

Any progress on this one. My company needs it badly as we are committing to Fusion for a CAD and CAM needs with mill, lathe and waterjet.

We do most things on the lathe but not internal threading as there is not tool in the sample library.

Thanks,

Todd

ballsopECAM
Enthusiast
Morning Todd

Found this tool in the standard "Library" section of the Fusion 360
program.. Vendors>Tormach>

Perhaps this might help with your internal threading option in the Turning
Section to get you started.

Regards,

Brian Allsop

Expert CAM Solutions Inc.

(519) 551-4830 cell

(519) 776-1174 bus.

ballsop@expertcamsolutions.com
voxelmfg
Explorer

I used the Tormach than I made adjustments. FINALLY got it. Key is to have the insert pitch match the toolpath pitch or Fusion will not generate a tool path and the message does not tell you that you made an error. The message looks like Fusion just can't do an ID thread.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report