Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to reference Driven Dimensions

Ability to reference Driven Dimensions

I have a driven dimension in a sketch, which I would like to be able to use in a calculation for another parameter, but there is no way to reference this.  It does not show up in any way under the "Change Parameters" dialog or have any named reference that I can see.

248 Comments
justin
Contributor

In Inventor I often use a driven dimension in a calc (Fx) somewhere else in the part.  Having driven dimensions would be great.  

haughec
Autodesk

Thanks for the suggestion, Justin.  This one is in our backlog.  FUS-14960.

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

jjurban55
Advisor

I found one approach that works well for what I think you're kind of looking for, as shown at bottom of this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketching-sculpting-modeling-and/create-equal-distance-on-either-side-...

GRSnyder
Collaborator

Allowing references to driven dimensions would be my single most-wanted feature for the near term. I know this is already marked as Accepted, but I hope we can get it sooner rather than later!

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Driven Dimensions cam out in our June release.  There is still development work being done to make them referenced across the entire model.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

GRSnyder
Collaborator

Wait, what? The request is not for driven dimension (despite the title). It's for the ability to reference driven dimensions.

This feature hasn't yet been added yet and should not be marked as Implemented.

schengnz
Enthusiast

Fusion360 allows for the definition of a dimension as an expression/formulae of another dimension. For example, d55 x 1.5. However this does not work if the dimension referred to (d55 in above example) is a Driven Dimension; instead it will evaluate the expression to a number rather than retaining it as a parametric dimension. 

It would be very useful to allow for expressions involving Driven Expression. 

Tags (3)
daniel_lyall
Mentor

you can put in formula's in the demented window like if you wont the side half the length of the top and the top is d1 for the side you would put in d1/2 what would give you half off d1 you can do divide, plus, minus what ever.

you can also pre fill the parameters using user parameters with a name and it`s demented or formula from the user perimeters name.

that is in a sketches but when it comes to big assemblies that is where the problems come up as you have to use derived demeans from the other parts what can go sideways`s very fast and you end up with other weird stuff going on.

schengnz
Enthusiast
neljoshua
Advisor

GRSnyder (and others), this is exactly what I need.

I use often driven dimensions to reference already-existing geometry so that when I make changes to something, relationships hold true.  For example, this is especially useful when trying to place features (such as holes or cut-outs) in the center of another feature.  If this feature worked properly, changing the overall size of an object would not change the geometrical relationships.  Right now, if I create a rectangular plate, place a rectangular hole in the center (utilizing formulae and driven dimensions to hold its location), the hole will not stay in the center if the plate dimensions are changed.  I believe this is due to the fact that Fusion uses driven dimension values (eg. "44.50 mm") in formulae rather than variables (eg. "d28").

I have attached a screen shot of this issue.Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 10.38.07.png

GRSnyder
Collaborator

I'd say this was my biggest gripe at this point. The inability to reference driven dimensions is rather crippling, as there are certain things you just can't do without this (unless you replicate all the calculations that determine the driven dimension yourself).

GRSnyder
Collaborator

This feature is sorely needed.

ulaBulaB
Enthusiast

Being new to CAD I actually tried to do this naturally. Especially since the Driven Dimension has a placeholder assigned to it internally. This is what I was trying to do:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/splitting-a-line-with-driven-dimension-length...

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  The idea has been put into our backlog and when work gets started it will be changed to accepted.

Regards,

Mike Prom

crspangenberg
Explorer

This would be a huge improvement for me as well. It would save from having to create a lengthy formula in order figure out spacing requirements.

rshouker
Contributor

One would also want to name the driven dimension.

AlexanderYates
Advocate

How is this not top of the list for development...? It would make parametric design so much quicker and easier to keep track of. At the moment you have to create such long formula where you could just reference a driven dimension. I don't understand how other features are being put before this... Can't imagine anyone serious choosing to use fusion for complex functions such as FEA etc without wanting to see this implemented first.

GRSnyder
Collaborator

> How is this not top of the list for development...?

That's my question as well. Not only is it not a priority, but it seems to have been dumped in the "indefinitely defer" pile at this point.

rshouker
Contributor

At the moment you have to create such long formula where you could just reference a driven dimension

Figuring the formula could be hard, and time consuming...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report