Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeds and Speeds Calculator

Feeds and Speeds Calculator

The CAM Feature would be a totally one stop feature if it had a feeds and speeds calculator.  Currently I use GWizard from CNCCookbook.  You can enter in the depth of cut, tool engagement, material, tool information, and how aggressive you want to be in the material removal and it will calculate a feedrate and spindle speed for your cut.  I have found that the GWizard feeds and speeds calculator is very accurate and keeps me from burning up or breaking my tools.  The calculations are not complex and one could easily integrate a feeds and speeds calculator into the CAM within Fusion 360 that could automatically set (with manual override of course) what the feed rate and spindle speed should be.

Having this feature within the CAM would make Fusion 360 CAM a killer program.  I wouldn't need to use any other program to get to gcode from a part drawing.

13 Comments
kb9ydn
Advisor

Oh yeah.  Over on the AD CAM forum this has been a hot topic for awhile.  It's harder than you might think to implement something like this because the number of variables is quite large, and it has to be integrated into the software in such a way as to be useful but not get in the way.  I've been using GWizard since it was in beta testing.  It took a few years of evolving to get where it is today.

Right now there is a new tool library system in the works (for all HSMWorks variants) that is supposed to lay the foundation for feeds and speeds calculation.  I don't know exactly when it's scheduled for release but it should be soon.

Great suggestion. And, as noted in a previous comment, this has received a lot of attention over at camforum.autodesk.com.

Right now we are working on a next generation tool library that will help users with more realistic speed and feed data provided from tooling vendors. It is quite a bit of work, but when complete will provide you with very good ballparks depending on the tool and part material. We are still a way out from getting everything nailed (tooling vendors themselves have spent years trying to perfect this) but we are making great progress.

We'll definitely take your suggestion to heart and see what options we have to make the entire process as streamlined as possible.

Thanks for posting, and thanks for using Fusion 360.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

atrueresistance
Enthusiast

Any new news on this?

The news is the new library isn't even out yet. So don't expect a feeds and speeds calculator anytime soon.(So not anytime soon is 3+ years)

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

This is something we are activly working on.

rumpelstielz
Collaborator

so cool that this is on the roadmap .. can't wait !!! Smiley Tongue

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I also add it would be great to have the tool deflection and horse power numbers.

HP is great for general loading but the tool deflection numbers give a fairly good indication of how hard your pushing a specific tool with the amount of stick out you have. Its not perfect and does not account for the tool holder types (IE collect, weldon, shrink fit....) But it does give a good picture.

DBallard78
Observer

I am new to Fusion 360 and just starting to get familiar with it.  My first impression is this software has a ton of potential but like dirktheeng pointed out it really needs to calculate feeds and speeds depending on material and tool selection.  Needs a limit for maximum RPM and HP too plus overrides.  I am a long time user of another CAM package which had this built into their software 10 years ago.  Granted it is not perfect and occasionally needs fine tuning but saves an enormous amount of time.  In my case as long as feeds and speeds are close enough to not snap a tool I'm happy.  I'll proof the program on the test run and override at the control as necessary.  For one-offs that is all I need.  For longer production runs I override the values as needed and save the program.  I think it would be best to keep the tables but add the calculator on top to fill in the feeds and speeds value based on the selected material.  By the way, I have not yet figured out if material is defined in the setup or just at the tool.  It should be in the setup if it is not.  That way all the tools would calculate to the same material by default.  Then they could be edited and saved as custom material-specific tools for future call up if desired, otherwise just let the calculator do the work.

If this is already done and I'm just clueless please educate me.  Thanks

gazelemone
Contributor

For anyone reading this thread please be sure to upvote the feature. Hopefully if there is enough demand this will become a priority. You can upvote by logging into your autodesk account and then clicking on the upvote button right underneath "dirktheeng's" profile picture. 

gazelemone
Contributor

You already have all the tool data, the cam operation, and even the materials information. It would save soooooooo much time to be able to calculate the speeds and feeds based on this information. Currently I must use a 3rd party calculator and I have to duplicate efforts to input all the tool information and materials. Then I calculate speeds and feeds. Please consider adding a simple speeds and feeds calculator!

Imagine if the software could calculate the feeds and speeds for you based on the operation, geometry, and the tool that you have selected. This would make it easy for even a new CNC user. You already have the speeds and feeds dialogue boxes, but it does not work together. The speeds and feeds should automatically update the parameters for the CAM operation to the suggested values. It could also warn you if you are taking too deep of steps, if you are rubbing, or if you are going to snap the tool. A settings dialogue to input your machine hp, spindle speeds, and feed limits would also be helpful to ensure you do not exceed the cnc machine limits. 

Finally you could have some built in values on a dropdown for different materials. The surface speed tables are available and they work well. You could also have a selector for slow, medium, and fast production. That can accommodate a hobbyist trying to extend tool life and surface finish, or a production facility trying to maximize productivity and speed. 

jvh674QU83
Contributor

yes this would defintely make fusion360 better - drop material (A) on the design and automatically the 'feed and speed' adapts...  would be awsome !!

rumpelstielz
Collaborator

so 3 years later i'm wondering what 'This is something we are activly working on.' means in Autodesk terms .. any chance of this happening in this decade ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report