Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't truncate drawing dimensions

Don't truncate drawing dimensions

As far as I can tell, this hasn't been covered before, but it seems like a big, if simple, issue. In Fusion 360 at the moment, when making drawings from a part, dimensions are truncated to remove any trailing zeros, regardless of what the precision is set to. A diameter of 3.500" becomes 3.5" without any way to restore the remaining decimal places. Many companies, however, specify a default tolerance for a drawing, based on how many decimal places are specified in a dimension. That 3.500" diameter might have a default tolerance of +/- .005" where the 3.5" diameter could be +/- .1" by default. This common practice saves you from having to specify tolerances on every single dimension, especially when specifying complex, tight-tolerance parts. The title block typically spells out these defaults as ".xx = +/- .01, .xxx = +/- .005" and so on.

Please, for the sanity of engineers and machinists everywhere, stop truncating dimensions in the drawing environment of Fusion 360.

8 Comments

Agreed - significant figures are.. significant

andrew.de.leon
Autodesk

HI @alex@roambotics_scott,

At the bottom of the Annotation Settings menu (the button to the right of Pan, Zoom and Fit), there is a Display Trailing Zeros option. This option toggles on\off the display of trailing zeros for all dimensions in the current drawing.

This option also exists within Preferences > Drawings. Although not displayed by default, ASME displays trailing zeros by default while ISO does not. To expose the option and modify it, select ASME or ISO as your Standard. This will display standard specific options. From there, you can make the necessary changes. Any changes you make within Preferences are only applied to new drawings, the changes will not update existing drawings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andrew

15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013), OS X Sierra (10.12.1), in Sydney Australia

Timon-
Enthusiast

Trailing zeros settings are also one of the many items that can get saved in a Template and reused on all new drawings. 

You can find more info on Templates here:  http://fusion360.autodesk.com/learning/learning.html?guid=GUID-7D66F0CF-97BD-4EFB-9EB2-37CF89F76C56

jason.tebbe
Advocate

@andrew.de.leon Could you at least un-bury the option in the preferences? I had no idea it was there because I had "Inherit from Design" selected. At least if the checkbox was displayed, but greyed out, I would know I had to change some other setting to access it.

Can you specify the number of zeros per-dimension ?

alex
Explorer

It is a relief to know that users can change that setting and that it can be built into templates. It would definitely be helpful to default to displaying trailing zeros since I'm sure the majority of users using the drawing environment require that feature.

Thanks for the UI insight!

andrew.de.leon
Autodesk

Hi @jason.tebbe,

Thanks for the suggestion, we'll see what we can do. 

@roambotics_scott,

Yes, the precision can be set per dimension. Just double click on the dimension you want to change and you'll see a Precision settings with the dimension dialog. This works in conjunction with the Display Trailing Zeros option in Annotation Settings. If you increase or decrease precision per dimension, trailing zeros will adjust accordingly.

Regards,

Andrew

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Hi @alex, since @andrew.de.leon answered your idea with a current solution, I'm going to archive this idea. Thanks for participating on the IdeaStation!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report