Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't monkey with the view unless you're certain that's what the user wants

Don't monkey with the view unless you're certain that's what the user wants

I've seen a few other people touch on this but it's really pissing me off and deserves its own idea.

Automagically adjusting the view is great if you get it right. The problem is that about 99.9% of the time in F360, when the view is magically adjusted, the app gets it wrong.

That means every time I start working on a sketch, it pans what I'm trying to work on out of the center and sets the zoom to an absurdly wrong level.

Knock that off !!!

This is particularly awful because 3D navigation in F360 is a huge PITA but automatic stuff is terribly frustrating and annoying when it's done badly.

At the very least (please do more than this but at a minimum) there should be a quick / almost effortless way to jump back / undo the automagic view shifting. Better still, just say no - don't do it unless you really, really know that's what the user wants.

13 Comments
kb9ydn
Advisor

I would tend to agree here.  Most of the time it doesn't really bother me but I would prefer if the software didn't change the view on its own.

C|

Coscor_NPL
Advocate

I think you can turn it off if I understand you correctly:

settings - general group - design 

You can turn off 'auto look at sketch'

I'm sorey, I do not seem to have this problem, never even seen it happen once. i think... and rather like the feature so, will not vote.

Anywyas, Hope above can help

I kinda want to auto-look at the sketch.. I don't want to already be looking at it and then have what I'm looking at pan or zoom out of view or to nothing
Coscor_NPL
Advocate

Ahh okay...

Well that is right... never thought about it since I rarely use it in that way... but now when I think about it, yes, i think you're right, that is annoying! (and just tried it out, too)

The 'look at' function generally needs improvement IMO, I want to be able to hotkey it (to the keyboard, mouse or 3D mouse) would also be awesome turn it 90degrees clockwise and also being able to click it 2 times to flip 'look at' to see the 'backside' of what you're sketching at.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

haughec
Autodesk

Agree that Look At behavior needs some work.  Moving this to Future Consideration until we have a chance to address the issue.

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You:

I have been looking for a solution to this for a while. I'm ok with the view changing a little but sometimes it would change too much and I would lose orientation. It was confusing. I would rather have it off than constantly having to readjust the view so it made sense to me.

Tom

This literally makes me want to scream.

I want to make a circle near the circle you see. Bring it into view, go to sketch, and F360 drags me to the center so I have to slowly and painfully* two-finger-scroll back up.

For bonus points, F360 crashes → redo this → F360 crashes → redo this → etc

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please fix this

* trackpad (and I presume non-trackpad) acceleration still needs a lot of work

kb9ydn
Advisor

@roambotics_scott

Your video is marked private so we can't see it.

C|

Gah thanks for the heads up @kb9ydn and sorry about that. Should work now

kb9ydn
Advisor

So it sounds like what you want here is to have the view orbit so that it's normal to the sketch face, but you don't want to pan or zoom at all.  That would make sense to me.

C|

Hard to say exactly but mostly if I'm looking at something up close already, I don't want to get dragged away from it.

Panning definitely hurts though‥

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report