Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Displacement Mapping

Displacement Mapping

I think it would me great to able to pull textures or maps off of photographs and apply them as meshes directly to a surface.  I think there are a few other software packages that can do this, and it would greatly improve usability when 3D printing and CNC routing complex objects.

15 Comments
odolyte
Advocate

But we also need normal map option in the rendering textures !

TrippyLighting
Consultant

@odolyte  Normal Maps are in the texture setting isn Fusion.

@sam85slim Are you talking about displacement mapping ?

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Forget that second question šŸ˜‰

I know o no CAD tool that allows displacement mapping.

The tools you are referring to are all subdivision surface modelers and the purpose there for displacement is mostly for CG pupropses.

But it could be very useful !

sam85slim
Explorer

Rhino appears to have a displacement map function.  I've been toying with it to see if I can export it into Fusion 360 but I haven't gotten too far yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_CB6-OjCLU

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Interesting. This woud be good stuff for a genreative design discussion. Interestingly enough the texture you picked, while being a pixel map, is generated with a mathematical noise function and often these are found as procedural textures.

While it would still be nice to see a displacement function I'd say that it would be really nice to get a surface diplaced by a procedural 3D texture algorithm without the intemediate step of a raster graphix texture. You can claearly see in your example that the texure and as a result the final surface has a finite (pixelated) resolution.

A voronoi texture would be such an example (there's a Fusion 360 script for that).

If you can generate a quad mesh from hat displaced strucure amd export it as an .obj from Rhino, you can import an .obj into Fusion and convert it into a T-Spline. There are limits in terms of mesh density, however.

odolyte
Advocate

@TrippyLighting I don't find normal maps in the settings, there is bump mapping but not normal mapping ??

Yeah these are for rendering purposes, since F360 has a render module, it would be nice to boost it a bit šŸ˜‰

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Adding to the visualization backlog.  Release date TBD.

18raths
Participant

Any updates on if this is going to happen or not? Would still love to see it added to Fusion 360 šŸ™‚

TrippyLighting
Consultant

@18raths My estimate based on the current focus of development on mundane mechanical engineering is that this will not happen anytime soon.

@colin.smith I might be jumping the gun here but I see this has been added to the "visualization backlog". I just want to mention that displacement mapping can be used to great effect to create real physical textures and structures without the need to model anything. It can create very complex geometry without the need tom model anything and would be great modeling asset, not just for visualization purposes.

colin.smith
Alumni

Hi @TrippyLighting

I'm no long on the Fusion 360 PM.  I have moved to SketchBook Pro.  Please forward comments/ideas to Lucas Prokopiak (lucas.prokopiak@autodesk.com).

Thanks

Colin

xrok11
Contributor

Essential tool for 3d printing! Yes please.

Procedural would be the best because there are no seams and infinite variations.

Knurling, wood-grain, marble...

adresseimpossible
Community Visitor

Essential tool for 3d printing! Yes please.

federico.bardzki
Participant

For a software that is so powerful already and proposes itself as an alternative and competitor to Rhinoceros, especially for parametric product design, jewelry design etc, it is unacceptable not having a displacement command that allows you to apply a normal push/pull modification to any surface, based on the values of a bitmap image.

notloc
Explorer

Adding my vote and seconding the idea that it not be limited to visualization. I want it not for visualization purposes, but because I want to create textured surfaces on real parts that would be impractical to model in other ways. Thanks!

Stevedehaes
Community Visitor

In jewelry design having control over surface-appearance is vital.  A common workflow is to 3d print the design and later make a casting of the printed design using molten metal. 

For me, an acceptable workflow would be that one could apply displacement to faces in a separate module. After leaving the module the displacement becomes invisible and the face behaves like a default object.   The displacement map would only be activated on these occasions:   Export Mesh, 3d print, Render

Right now my workflow is creating a slab (containing displacement) in Blender, exporting it as a mesh, and then bending it using sheet metal in fusion360. (A slow and frustrating process)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report