Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete

Delete

I like to be tidy, I therefore like to delete obsolete designs. Each time I try to delete a design I get "A version of this design has been referenced by drawings or other designs and cannot be deleted". I am the only person accessing these designs so if I want to delete them, regardless of the consequences I should be allowed to, leaving obsolete designs on the desktop can lead to a wrong issue being used.

Alternatively allow easy access to the referenced versions so they can be deleted correctly.

13 Comments
Scott.Weiser
Participant

I too have had this problem and it stems from the file management perspective and I think is a matter of old links to obsolete components somewhere down in the "versions" timeline. I find this happens when I create new components in an "assembly design," which is a file into which I import some already-designed base component to which I add new components, such as a CAD model of a firearm obtained from an outside source used to reference locations for the new design I'm creating. Sometimes I find that a particular idea doesn't work out so I turn off the component I was building and start again without unlinking the obsolete design from the assembly model and then I have the same problem when trying to clean up and delete obsolete "idea designs" from the root assembly drawing.

This is one reason I posted my suggestion about file management and workflow improvements.

Hope this helps

gordonclamp
Advocate
Hi Scott, I think you are correct a file system would help or some indication of the thread.

Regards Gordon

Sent from my iPad

Unless you're nuking a design, the versions should always be there, but by default only tagged ones should be visible [tags ~ deletable named versions + current]

mward74TPR
Contributor

I just create an "Old" subdirectory within the directory that the design is in and move obsolete designs there. Disk space grows faster than my rate of creating new designs, so there is no need to delete anything 🙂

gordonclamp
Advocate
Cheers I will try that. I did create an "obsolete" folder in another project but Fusion 360 will not allow movement between projects.

Regards Gordon

Sent from my iPad
charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

We are working on delete with a full recycle bin for restoring / purging of the data.

Thanks,

Bankim

sklkengineer
Enthusiast

Is there any update for this? I have in progress components that get imported from another program and they're starting to accumulate since I can't delete them if they were ever used.

The first rule of F350 shouldn't be «create and activate a component», it should be «the program doesn't make it trivially easy for the user to do badf things by mistake.

Open the program → there is a fresh new active component there.

Go to delete something → there is one unambiguous option (not «remove» and «delete») that isn't going to blow up if the user uses it.

sklkengineer
Enthusiast

It doesn't need to be trivially easy to clean a part from existence in the repository, but it should be possible instead of having an accumulating folder full of junk for no reason. I have parts that were used in old versions, and absolutely will never be used again, but I'm stuck with the files until they give me an option to force delete even if it's used in other versions. Inventor had no issue with this. In general I do like Fusion 360 repository functionality, this feature is just missing.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second two statements.

gordonclamp
Advocate
I do not understand your comment

There is «delete» and «remove». 

Remove is perfectly reasonable. Delete erases something from the entire design timeline. That almost always had terrible consequences, is almost never what the user will have intended, and it won’t ecen make sense as a concept for most people.

sklkengineer
Enthusiast

okay so I see where there's the confusion 

I'm not talking about delete vs remove. (As a side note, I never use remove, only delete)

In the file system/version control system when you try to delete a design file, it will refuse to delete it if it has ever been used in a previous version of another file. (I work a lot with assemblies and subcomponents)

I have throw away parts that I import from another design flow(PCBs) I know will never be used again, but they're starting to build up because I cannot delete them. I'm fine if they disappear even from the old versions.

gordonclamp
Advocate
Hi

It does not look like Autodesk see's filling their server up with rubbish as a problem, yet today I was stopped setting up a new project, with the comments "Operation Failed" " Limits Exceeded". These comments would suggest that controls to limit usage were being put in place.

Regards Gordon Clamp

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report