Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define the Orientation of a Sketch!

Define the Orientation of a Sketch!

Have you ever sketched on a face or plane only for Fusion 360 to rotate the screen 90 degrees or 180 degrees to the orientation you actually want to sketch on? This happens to me all the time. In the picture below, I want to sketch on the highlighted face. In the orientation demonstrated. But when I select Sketch and then select the face, it automatically rotates by 90 degrees. It's very frustrating.

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 2.48.46 PM.png

Before Fusion 360, I used NX/Unigraphics. There, when you selected a face to Sketch on, you had the ability to select the +X and +Y axes of your sketch. Note the drop down menu that says "Sketch Orientation".

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 2.54.31 PM.png

So this was a nonissue, as I would simply select the horizontal and vertical edges as my x and y, and stay in the orientation I wanted. As far as I can tell, Fusion doesn't have this ability. So I'm constantly turning the sketch, but every time I try to recenter, or exit the sketch and re-enter, it's back to that default orientation. It's one of those things that seems small but is very irritating and really slows me down.

Please consider this! Thank you.

9 Comments

Great idea ! 

That happens all the time and it's super annoying.

There really needs to be a commandment for the app (like «it must be cloud based») that anything that it guesses has to be user overridable

changedsoul
Collaborator

Fusion should be able to know based on the current view how to rotate to the closest face on view and not whip it around 180 and also flip on its side.

You most likley have already spun the object around to get a nice look at it before you decided to sketch on it....why on earth would fusion thnk I wanted to sketch on the back side and flip the view 180 and on its side, hahaha.

I second and third and possible fourth this annoyance if possible.

WunderlichTools
Enthusiast

Yes being able to select a "Normal To" orientation before beginning the sketch would be amazing.  I was watching a guys tutorial (SolidWorks) on modeling a drill bit and the functions that he had during his sketches was above the capability of F360.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7VoEpv4Y64

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thank you for your idea.  This is getting archived due to the request to define the origin of a sketch.  We have work in our back log to improve our "look at" function that is used when you edit and or edit a sketch.  The work will improve how the view centers / fits to view, (the view will be centered on the geometry and not the origin).  We have also included improving the orientation, as you mention the sketch can rotate.  I hope that this solves the issue you are facing, again I am only archiving this due to the difference in how we are solving the problem.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Zero__
Alumni

Hi @promm,

I'm a little disappointed to hear its being archived because I was happy to see how much support the idea was getting and I'm not sure we're talking about the exact same thing. I don't believe improving the Look At function (which helps me recenter the sketch when its rotated a bit out of the sketch plane) is the same as defining the origin point and +X, +Y of a sketch. Precisely so that the Look At function returns it to the proper orientation.

The Look At function does tend to take me to the origin of the sketch and not where I'm actually sketching, meaning I need to carefully drag the screen back to where I'm sketching. But fixing this doesn't change the fact that when I select a geometry to sketch on, Fusion 360 has no idea what the orientation and origin point is that I want, and chooses an arbitrary one that is wrong half the time.

Are you sure you're solving the same problem? And since a good deal of people support the idea, why not fix it more directly in the manner I've suggested?

maker9876
Collaborator

Vote button is not working for me, but this gets my vote! 

Zero__
Alumni

@promm, any updates on this one?

george.111
Participant

any update on this one?

KneubaeckerS7UG4
Enthusiast

Any updates to the status of a fix for this problem.

I am frequently encountering this problem when sketching.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report