Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decal Improvements

Decal Improvements

Simply when trying to position a decal, such as trying to overlay a PCB pattern onto a imported model, the decal asks for the face, and the image.

1) There should be an option to scale to face selected.

2) When moving between scale and position, the scale should not be reset to 1. That is if I am trying to micro adjust the position, it the scale should not changes until I place the image.

10 Comments
davidcuesta76
Enthusiast

In general, the Decal tool is very frustrating, I posted in the community about it before. I have just been using it again and it definitely needs improvement.

In addition to RCReoders comments.

1) When placing the decal the decal is sideways seems like always.

2) there is no relationship between the image size and scale.

3) The position inputs seem relative to where the decal was placed which also seems arbitrary.

We use this all the time in packaging design, please upgrade the decal feature to function in a coherent manner as at the moment it seems a bit random.

Thanks

dc

pavmed
Advisor

I would also add functions like:

1. Resize decal to fit face.

2. Snap decal corner/edge to model vertex/edge

bejoscha
Advocate

I agree that decal placement needs improvement. A simple improvement would be that the initial placement is somehow anchored to a specific point of a face (i.e. the center?) so that any numeric offset actually makes any sense!

See my comunity post for details.

Scoox
Collaborator

+1 Yes please

manninda
Alumni

I agree a "Fit to surface" would be a great option. 

MariusBaard
Advocate

Have you ever tried to place a decal over a hole. impossible, and it does not want to move past the hole edge.

Very fustrating

decal.PNG

sterlingcrispin
Explorer

Placing a decal is very limited currently theres no way to measure its scale the inspect tool doesn't work on decals as far as I can tell and while placing them you only get relative scale to the last transformation

It would be nice if:

- the inspect/measure tool worked on decals

- the move tool could be used on decals

- absolute units of measurement could be given to decals for their length and width

- alignment could be performed from the center of a decal to a point, or from any of the four corners of a decal to a point 

I'd imagine this is a nightmare for product designers, requiring them to make everything SVG's . I just wanted to add a ruler in for renderings to get a sense of scale so I can accept it being off by 2% while I eyeball the scale but its really frustrating this tool is so limited 

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 8.18.00 AM.png

davidcuesta76
Enthusiast

Bump!

Come on Autodesk, Pretty please with sugar icing on top.

You have 3 different threads on the same subject, one with 22 votes, one with 7 and one with 14. And that's only the people that actually bother voting and writing in.

Worth a couple days of coding to see if can be improved just a little. Seems like one of the only major areas that feels unresovled in Fusion. 

gordonfraser182
Observer

For a watch designer, being unable to place decals over holes is an absolute pain in the bum. Can't create bezels, dials, engravings etc without seriously long workarounds. Great package and one we're just starting to get in to, but this is already proving a big issue.

Can place decals over holes in Autodesk Showcase no problem so it's not like Autodesk don't know how to do it.

kandinsky1
Explorer

I am an artist using Fusion 360 to design 3-D structures to which I will apply imagery, so the limitations of decal scaling and positioning are very frustrating. A few small amendments in this area would make this software a powerful tool for many other users like myself who are primarily working with 2-D visuals on 3-D surfaces, e.g. graphic designers, exhibition designers etc. In so many other respects Fusion is fantastic. But with the decal issue it can feel like owning a Ferrari with no steering wheel!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report