Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom lathe tool holder

Custom lathe tool holder

I recently purchased a uniquely-shaped boring bar for my slant-bed lathe to do some concave facing work, and Fusion doesn't have a pre-packaged toolholder in the turning tool library to accommodate this. (The end of the bar has a 27.5' clearance angle from vertical, just to give an idea.) A fellow Fusion user suggested to me that I just add 10' degrees to the tool orientation angle either in the tool setup itself in the library or in the Profile operation itself. The problem I ran into with this is that Fusion seems to be doing some radius comp and the parts are coming out oversized on the OD, and undersized on their IDs. Simulation and the posted code both reflect this. If I leave the tool "as-is" with the incorrect 17.5' end angle, then the simulation and posted code are fine. (Aside from it not correctly simulating whether the insert will clear or not.

Fusion Team - do you guys have any plans in the future to introduce custom lathe toolholders, or maybe expanding the pre-packaged options to include a wider range of oddball geometries?

See attached for the drawing of the bar [and VBMT 21.51 insert] I'm using, as well as how the toolpaths look on a simpler dummy part with and without the tool orientation adjustment. For reference, the OD of that section of the part is 0.507".

4 Comments
Yes please for the love of all that is holy give us some lathe updates. Sometimes it takes me days just to figure out how to make some tools work out.

@steveripplingerjr

One day, when the tool library is done we might get custom tools and more real world tools, one day.

Bumping this.... its 2019 lots of hurdles using fusion and tooling like Micro Horn 100 series that really should not be an issue. Please guys start working on this.

ctscsmith
Contributor

THIS!! offset heads, relieved back angles after the insert, boring bars I've hand ground to fit somewhere etc...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report