Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Parameter Name whilst adding a Sketch Dimension

Create Parameter Name whilst adding a Sketch Dimension

It would be great to have the abilty to create a new name for Parameters when placing a new Sketch Dimension. At the moment Fusion 360 records them as d1, d2, d3 etc. which is fine, but a lot of the time it makes things easier to have names, i.e. Length, Width, Height.

In Inventor you can name the Parameter, whilst creating and placing the sketch dimension, which saves a lot of time downstream. To do this you would type 'Length = 100' etc. Do this in Fusion 360, and it doesn't work.

Fusion Dimension Parameter Name.jpg

25 Comments
haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

Really seconded. It's a huge pain having to leave drawings to define the parameters.

haughec
Autodesk

Great suggestion.  This has been on our 'To Do' list for a while, but the request/votes will help to ensure that it becomes a priority.  We're tracking this internally as FUS-15790.

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Mtimmis-Personal
Contributor

Thanks for picking this up haughec there may be more to come, as I am a long term Inventor user, looking at Fusion for a viable solution moving forward.

phreak
Observer
any update on this? having no experience with parametric cad software, i actually was expecting it to work the way suggested here, it seems tedious to go to the dialog and change the name of the parameter i just created...
TigerCole
Participant

Being able to do this kind of inline parameter management would be a huge timesaver when there are a lot of collaborators on a project ... especially when those collaborators are a bunch of really dynamic inventor/maker teens in different schools and cities.

Igorva
Advocate

a good idea)

wakkaluba
Contributor

I wouold love to see this feature.

The parameters are used very much by me and it is somewhat tideous to switch in the middle of designing to the parameters screen, locking the workspace in the background and trying to neatify everything just by identifying the Dnn and renaming them.

otherwise you would have to switch to the screen every minute to instantly assign user readable parameters without the need to spend time to identify an entire set of parameters

jwintersEEW29
Explorer

This is a great idea! 

Any update since it was accepted 3 years ago? It's a real pain (especially with a lot of components) to navigate in parameters dialog box to a dimension you now want to rename, but didn't do so initially. 

TigerCole
Participant
HI.

Nope . it has not made it into the updates group yet which maybe my fault to
some degree. It seems like my submission was very incomplete, I did not
include any implementation suggestions or artwork. I need to get back to it
and submit properly. My current project (a new RC aircraft) has hundreds of
components and working with the parameters list is really time consuming.

Thanks for your email, I will definitely submit an update.

tC/.

denyerec
Participant
4 years, still not done / possible / doable ? It's driving me *insane*, so much so I wish I could ditch Fusion and go back to Inventor 😕
carneeki
Participant

+1

This is one of the best things about Inventor and it just doesn't exist in Fusion 360. I think even OnShape does it!

jade.fink
Enthusiast

I implemented this in an add-in. Autodesk needs to get on this, it is a very simple feature.

Here's the add-in: https://github.com/lf-/RenameThisDimension. For those who are unfamiliar with GitHub, the downloads are available under "Releases".

carneeki
Participant

Hi Lucas,
I can't wait to test out this addin. I think it'll make better dimensioning in the workflow much easier. Legend 😄

mattsc
Contributor

How is it we STILL don't have this feature!??? 

ca-d.one
Advisor

Hello 😉

....still waiting for that feature....

.....and waiting....and waiting....

zalexzperez
Contributor

Woah... I also need this feature.

bart3JQYT
Observer

Need this!

wakkaluba
Contributor

*Push up*

This is a great design change request

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report