Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy sketch to another plane

Copy sketch to another plane

It's extremely tedious to  have to draw the same shape on multiple faces without a simple click-copy-paste function, for relocation

to another plane. Further to that, the ability for said pasted sketch to be snapped to the center of the original if it's needing to overlap.

14 Comments
O.Tan
Advisor

I'm guessing you're working in history/parametric mode? As in direct mode, you're allowed to move and reuse sketches everywhere. 

nileshlala
Advocate

What do you mean by "direct mode" ?

O.Tan
Advisor
Not history based, there's a gear icon on the lower right of timeline which allows you to disable timeline, that'll bring you to direct mode though be warned that some tools work slightly different due to the nature of the modeling environment 
nileshlala
Advocate

I've tried what you've suggested but the drawing still stays on the original plane, can you please elaborate?

All I can think of as a semi work-around is making a body of the sketch, then pulling it up and creating an identical body through copying the first body

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

haughec
Autodesk

Changed status to Under Review.  Tracking this internally as FUS-21074.

Thank you,

Charles

It'd be great to have (optional) linking and support for (partial) symmetries and patterns along with this.

Something like synchronous design intent would be amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSCGNVVTrnQ

maritza.ga
Alumni

@nileshlalanileshlala. You can copy and paste specific sketch entities by selecting them and then right clicking and selecting "Copy" from the context menu. Once you create a new sketch you can then go in and paste it. When you paste it you can manually move it. To get specific placement use the point to point option.

point to point.png

haughec
Autodesk

The ability to copy/paste sketch features is in our bakclog (tracked internally as FUS-21074), but isn't currently a high priority.  Moving this to Future Consideration.

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

torrance.96
Explorer

Well I hope this becomes a high priority because it's quite important to have.  In Solidworks it's called Blocks.  There's another related thread: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/block-rubberstamp-for-repeated-eleme...

john.grimshaw
Enthusiast

Can you not just project the sketch and break the link? I'm sure I've done that in the past to then have the same sketch but the ability to edit it based on my new reference plain?

vrsolanki
Enthusiast

can be implemented like share sketch in inventor 2018

euclidmandd
Enthusiast

This might be slightly different than what others are suggesting here, but I'd like to have the ability to save custom shapes in the sketch drop down menu.  For example, some of my designs require sketching a lot of box tubes, all with radiused internal and external corners, which take some effort to reproduce every time.  So it would be really cool to have the ability to draw that in just like I would a simple circle or rectangle, and then add the dimensions.  What I'm envisioning wouldn't be associative to anything else in the model unless parameters are used for the dimensions.  Before reading this thread I hadn't realized that copying and pasting geometry from one sketch to another was possible, so at least that's a step in the right direction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report