Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a mesh to a solid body

Converting a mesh to a solid body

I would love a feature that could take a high density mesh file such as an STL and turn it in to a solid,   It wouldn't even have to be a T-splines body,   just a dumb body that was as close to the original shape as possible.

Right now the limit for Fusion (and solidworks)  is 10k triangles to convert from STL to solid.    I can upload the same STL to Fusion though, and get a mesh body.     

I would love a tool that would convert that high polygon mesh body directly to a solid.

3 Comments
colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Hi @madengineer13

There will be improvements to mesh handling in Fusion in the next few months.  One area that we are looking at is a better way to work with higher poly count mesh models.   Can't comment on when this would happen yet.

Colin

madengineer13
Advocate

Thanks  for the reply!   looking forward to these tools whenever you can fit them in.

Regin_THZ
Contributor

The ZW3D CAD has a command under "point cloud->Trace Region" that can create profile curves from the meshs silouette. It's a bit of manual work to trace all surfaces but you can extrude the same body from these curves when done. Maybe a similar approach could be implemented but one that traces all the regions around the whole mesh leaving a set of curves/edges in 3D space. A bit crude maybe but this procedure is very fast.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report