Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color choices for interface are about as bad as can be for color blind

Color choices for interface are about as bad as can be for color blind

This was mentioned before but the employee who had responded to that thread has not been active in a couple years, and the problem remains.

I keep encountering situations where I have no idea that something is even there, or that things are different colors at all when the color is vital.

Construction lines are so close to invisible I thought the lines had vanished until I saw them mentioned in a video and watched again and again to realize the presenter really wasn't clicking empty space.

The arrow to switch which sides of a curve a tool path lies was the same! I looked all over for a way to switch the tool path, finally watched a tutorial, only once again I had to watch until u realized there was something I couldn't see. I can see it if u look hard, but that's crazy.

And now, the component chin m color cycling? I only know they are green vs orange and not all green because the presenter on a video clicked and said how useful it was that these here are green while this here is orange.

The colors seem to have been intentionally chosen so they look good together by not having large differences in brightness or tone or something. Make them ugly and different, please!

When there are not menu options to find that do the same thing, as with the arrow, or where color provides the only way to tell something is there, then it is much much harder to use a program for 10% of men, let alone learn it. That is a lot of lost customers.

It is very hard for non color deficient people to understand that it isn't just a matter of making horrible choices in clothes 🙂

This is a fantastic program, please make it so we can use it.
Thank you
13 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
I meant to ask as well if there is a way to provide examples of situations where this is a problem as I encounter them. Perhaps just add them here? Is that useful? There are guidelines out there that can help, but in my experience it is very difficult for normal vision folks to predict with any consistency what works for those with color deficits. I'm a sample of one, but it's a starting point. I'm happy to do more than just complain. In my opinion the best source for what works well and what fails is actually http://colorbrewer2.org. It's focused on cartographic colors but the points are so well made and broadly applicable. Thank you

This is a bit of UX that people screw up and doing a great job of it is hard, but it's easy enough to do a good first pass simply by desaturating the display and making sure everything is still usable.

Windows must have a way to do that but in OS X, just go to Utilities -> Accessibility -> Greyscale [or whatever they put here in English]

Capture d’écran 2016-01-24 à 17.37.10.png

Added bonus - if you make the UX work for people like @Anonymous, it'll make things more legible for everyone.

Also - how is it possible that this doesn't have one vote per view ?!?

Click a button, people ! They're not charging you for it !

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Big Vote from me. I am not color blind, in this day and age with such a penetration of computers in every part of live I do think that this needs attention. 

GMDesigns74
Contributor

Perhaps they could go across the hall and ask the AutoCAD guys about this feature:

Autocad Display Customization.jpg

+1 from me.

pbreed
Enthusiast

The colors are a problem.

Things like select should be glaringly obvious, not subtle!

Since about 4-5% of the population has problems with color sight it's something to think about.

But I do understand though that what works for color blind doesn't necessarily look nice to the ones that can see color. So maybe having two color schemes is pretty useful.

It's definitely possible to pick a color scheme that works for the colorblind and looks good for the rest of us. It's just hard and takes some planning. One relatively easy fix is just to insure that there are big enough intensity differences in the pallet that colors can all be distinguished when they're desaturated. Really it's just a matter of putting some thought and care into it. @Anonymous, I'd definitely drop some screen caps here so people can see what you're talking about
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just going to post about this issue. When drawing, projected and auxiliary lines have almost if not the same color as the enclosed area, making it imposible to detect the line unless you hover the mouse over it.

ezgif.com-crop.gif

haughec
Autodesk

Thank you for the feedback.  These are good examples of small changes that could make a sizeable difference in daily use.  We are actively evaluating Fusion's look & feel, and are planning to make related changes.  We'll consider this feedback as part of that project.  

Moving to Future Consideration until we can provide a date.

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Coming up with a color scheme suitable for color blindness is not an easy task - I've been involved in such things recently myself - in particular if you want to accommodate both for deuteranopia, protanopia and tritanopia at the same time. However, I think having a) more schemes to choose from or even b) allowing user-customisation of the schemes would be a big plus.

I found that info helpful: Points of view: Color blindness (Bang Wong, Nature Methods 8, 441 (2011))

And also: Color Palettes for Color Blindness (© Martin Krzywinski )

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please provide color selection options.

antennasys
Enthusiast

I, too, have color vision deficiency (as do 5% of all males).  When I play World of Warcraft, there is an interface setting for different types of color blindness... it makes a huge difference.  Fusion 360 should have such a setting.

https://uxdesign.cc/color-blindness-in-user-interfaces-66c27331b858

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report