Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clockwise strategy to remove unnecessary retract movements for adaptive clearing

Clockwise strategy to remove unnecessary retract movements for adaptive clearing

Hi

Please consider tweaking the adaptive clearing to be more efficient by enabling a clockwise strategy.

Take this example, it insists on clearing each long side by itself by making long retracts to clearance height and then recutting the same side.

Even when setting it to the highest stray down setting it will insist on recutting each side by itself.

A more efficient strategy would be to go around in a clockwise movement without cutting the short ends once they are cut to length.

Also, the current move pointed out by the arrow where it actually does what I want it to is not smoothed out, reducing maximum speed.

This change would greatly reduce machine time and efficiency.

Thanks in advance!

7 Comments
leo.sandstrom
Enthusiast

Double post, sorry 😞

This totally depends on the settings and on the shape of the model. But there are cases I agree with you.

So to make this more touchable for the developers could you mock up a model or share that part so we can all test it and show in what cases this happens and when it's good and when it's bad behaviour.

kb9ydn
Advisor

Make sure you have your maximum stay down distance set large enough, since that overrides the stay down amount.

But yeah, I have also seen cases where adaptive could be more efficient at ordering cuts.

C|

scottmoyse
Mentor

2D Adaptive is worse at ordering than 3D Adaptive in my experience. But yeah, this is needed. But to be honest, I would rather see other improvements before this. Unless this is an 'easy' change, I doubt it is.

leo.sandstrom
Enthusiast

Hi again

This issue is easy to find, in my experience any part that is not completely square/round will suffer from this.

Therefore I do not see the point in mocking up models for it.

I do not know the details behind the code for the CAM package, but I visualize the solution as being fairly simple.

After ending a cut, just check the distance to all other cuts on the part, including lift to clearance height etc.

And then take the next one that is closest. Next step would be to add a small penalty for moves to clearance height due to acceleration needed after stopping.

If you also make sure that all moves without lift, or with minimal lift are smothed out you would greatly increase speed.

(this includes vertical moves)

I have fairly good acceleration on my servos, but it is still painfully noticable that the mill is ordered to come to a full stop, then lift and then move even when making minimal lifts during stay down movement.

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

@scottmoyse is correct, there are higher priority items in the adaptive backlog.  With that said, this is something that should be looked at.

In the short term, can you confirm that your maximum stay down distance is set to a high enough value.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report