Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change dimension alignment for existent dimensions & Default alignment

Change dimension alignment for existent dimensions & Default alignment

If sketch lines are oriented horizontally or vertically, when dimensions are applied to them, that dimensions are also will be horizontal or vertical. So, if I rotate the sketch profile, all such dimensions become wrong. And I have to delete them and reapply aligned dimeansions manually to restore correct shape.

f360_dimension_suggestion.png

I suggest to add ability to manually change alignment attributes for dimension lines. For example, add corresponding context menu (like it's done for "Toggle Driven"):

f360_dimension_menu_suggestion.png  f360_dimension_menu_suggestion2.png

Also, it would be great to have "Default Dimensions Alignment" settings somewhere in Preferences. Where I could choose between "Horizontal / Vertical" (parallel to axis, as it behaves currently) and "Aligned" (parallel to line, as I would like to see).

5 Comments
keqingsong
Community Manager

aligned dimensions.gif

When you apply dimensions, before committing the dimension, right-click on the dimension and select Aligned. I think this is what you're looking for. 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

GrAndAG
Collaborator

@keqingsong It seems you did not catch the idea or you are cheating. You showed these options if lines are not horizontal/vertical. In this case I can draw desired dimensions even not using the  context menu.

But I'm saying about horizontal/vertical oriented lines. For them there are no such options in the menu. And when I create a line first time I also can add dimension to it, but again, I do not have an option to choose orientation for it.

So, you've totally missed with your answer. Sorry.

keqingsong
Community Manager

I see, apologies. I understood the problem as when you wanted rotate your sketch, you wanted your aligned dimensions to rotate with the sketch so you don't have to re-apply them. Is that correct? 

GrAndAG
Collaborator

@keqingsong

Yes. Again to clarify... Lets say I draw a rectangle which edges are parallel to axis (in another words its sides are horizontal and vertical) and apply dimensions to this rectangle.  After that I decide to rotate this rectangle and keep its size. But I can't do that easily, because when I start rotation, the dimensions stay parallel to axises instead of rectangle, and rectangle size is changed. In this case I want dimensions to be aligned to rectangle, but I even can't draw such dimensions while lines are aligned to an axises. And also there is no ability to change alignment for existent dimensions.
Currently, the only way to get aligned dimensions -- to draw them initially as aligned. And even that is possible only if a line (which I want to dimension) is sloped.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report