Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cease Fusion 360 development and bring Inventor LT to the Mac at F360 price.

Cease Fusion 360 development and bring Inventor LT to the Mac at F360 price.

Seriously... 

I use Inventor Professional at work and it is hard to believe that Fusion 360 is from the same company...

Beachballing on even the simplest of operations; regular crashes, horrible sketching environment that is completely unreliable when working with parameters, ridiculously limited drawing environment, which doesn't even allow dimensioning isometric lines, an ugly UI that is as uneficcient with screen real estate as can be, jumping dialog boxes that drive you crazy when trying to enter values...

Please, please, PRETTY PLEASE, Autodesk, don't just dismiss this idea, and stop pushing Fusion 360 as your most important product. It's slow, ugly and horrible to use and makes Autodesk look very bad... I get the 'cloud' part... I do, but we have iCloud Drive and OneDrive nowadays, so why try to reinvent the wheel???

Oh yes, it's not my computer that's too slow, misconfigured, defect. I can run Inventor Professional in PARALLELS (i.e. in a Virtual Machine) FLAWLESSLY. No slowdowns, no crashes, the only downside is having to use Windows but that's it, while Fusion 360 running NATIVELY is a COMPLETE JOKE.

To the employee who will delete this idea: sure, it's your job, but at least bring it up in some meeting or while drinking coffee with your colleagues.

Kind Regards

8 Comments
BillyBobBilly
Enthusiast

Cheaper inventor on os x would be ok, however Fusion 360 seems to be going somewhere that I like.

Remember, "necessity is the mother of invention".

Robert

danminson
Contributor

I don't get crashes or beachballing anymore, but bringing the full modelling power of inventor into Fusion would be awesome.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback! 

@BillyBobBilly understand that there are people that do like it, and those would probable be people who are not 'spoiled' by using such a polished application like Inventor at work or elsewhere. The contrast in quality between the two applications is just too much for me. If there was a contrast at feature set level instead of at quality / stability level I could probably live with it and even have enough with Fusion 360 for home use, especially at that price. Right now, I'd rather spend roughly twice the amount of money on Inventor LT, even while it has probably less features than Fusion 360. So maybe 'cheaper' Inventor LT is not necessary... maybe it's price is OK and it could live between F360 and Inventor Professional. But I think a large part of the user base of Fusion 360 are on a Mac, and those are usually people who don't mind spending money for good software.... meaning that Inventor LT/Pro for Mac would not be a bad idea...

When I applied for the job that I'm in right now (designer / programmer in furniture business), I though I could save the company a lot of money by bringing their current workflow (Winner->Inventor->Excel->woodWOP) down to Fusion 360 alone, utilising it's CAM capabilities.

I spent a lot of my after-work time on trying to realise a model for the workflow that I envisioned, but had more issues than would ever be worth dealing with:

- beach balling on the simplest of operations

- parametric system very unreliable

- no support for 'iFeature'-type of functionality (an Inventor function which patterns a feature set for later use)

- no editing of parameters on linked designs, i.e. I could not design one type of cabinet and put two linked versions of them in my 'assembly' drawing which represents room where all cabinets goe (kitchen, dressing, ...)

- drawing system very sluggish

- overall very poor performance, on machines that are capable of running 2 instances of Inventor on 2 screens flawlessly.

Off course I realise Fusion 360 is the cheaper product, but most of the problems I encountered were more of a quality kind than a missing feature kind... so I decided to put my plans away and don't bother my bosses with them.

@danminson I'm glad you have a better experience with Fusion. Would you like to share what system you are on, and what kind of work you do in Fusion? I keep having this 'it is me' thoughts, and everytime I return to Fusion to give it a new try I hate myself for going trough the hassle again...

daniel_lyall
Mentor

You do realize it would take years and millions to do it.

And cabinet making is quite easy in fusion, I can make one model and pull 100 of different size and shape cabinets and bookshelves from one design with changing 1 to 5 parameters. that includes the kikker and face frame plus door or door's useing a few different joining methods 

the same can be done with tables and chairs or any cabinet making product.

And also put them in a assembly the way fusion does it.

You just need to talk to  @cekuhnen

cekuhnen
Mentor

@daniel_lyall @Anonymous

I think you dont understand that cloud aspect here. It is not just about storage so onedrive and such won't do it.

I agree on the fact that the sketch engine has flaws and that many modeling tools are missing when comparing Inventor and Fusion.

In that regards his feedback is spot on as I fully share that,

However sketch engine is being worked on to improve and then adv surface tools will come.

I also know inventor and I really do not like the workflow or UI much. I find as a designer Fusion much more a design environment

I want to work with.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@daniel_lyall I understand that such a 'port' would be very expensive, and it probably won't happen. But if the resources spent now on Fusion could be redirected to making it more like Inventor, I think this should be done. Focus should really be on quality, not features, as the development team churns out a LOT of new features with each update, but they forget one of the basic rules of software development: Fixing existing code should always have the priority over adding new features. As for the furniture thing, it is probably 'possible' but the software clearly is not designed for this kind of work.

@cekuhnen It's great that the sketch system is being worked on, but nothing is wrong with Inventor's sketch system so they could have simply used that one, with less features maybe. It feels just so broken compared to Inventor...

I see what you mean by the cloud aspect, but if making something like that possible means the rest of the software should feel flaky and slow, then I don't think it is the way to go... You are probably more of a designer while my work is heavily parametrically driven, i also use iLogic a lot, and there  is no substitute for it in Fusion.

In general, Fusion 360 vs Inventor is causing a lot of confusion amongst people... Importing a Fusion design into Inventor is impossible without exporting as step, and Inventor .ipt get imported more or less like dumb solids. Ok, you can still see and disable fillets and stuff, but it really cripples the parts. This makes it very hard to use Fusion and Inventor together...  and a startup that goes with Fusion and wants to move Inventor later on has a really big problem.

daniel_lyall
Mentor

Yer I can't argue with your reply to me.

If you wont to It's why I asked @cekuhnen to stop by, He is one of the guys I turn to if I need help with cabinetmaking or furniture. Luckily I have not needed to, but I did watch all his youtube vids and they will help you.

Post some stuff you need or wont to do back out in the forum, If it's standard Cabinetmaking stuff, That is something we all can help with.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@Anonymous

I think you have to let go of this I am a designer and you are using parametric parts.

We are talking about Fusion and not Rhino here.

I don't think that you could just copy and paste code between apps to implement functions.

But I agree that core tools should be fixed first before new stuff is added.

With Fusion being a platform however they work on many construction sides at the same time.

Some finish faster than others and again it is a pretty fairly new app.

And I am glad it is not like Inventor or SW.

@daniel_lyall

Glad that my videos and such are helpful 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report